website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2024 & 2028 Bid Process

mrv86

The IOC only spared itself for a few years.by awarding the possibly two most ready cities back to back . But then what ?

Agenda 2020 failed, it didn't help bringing costs down. If anything, it allowed the games to grow even bigger with the host additional sports (339 events and 11,000+ athletes in Tokyo from a theoric cap of 310 event and 10,500 athletes). 

For 2032, the issue will be kicking again with no next-to-ready hosts around. The games will once again comes with a massive high price, that probably no democratic country will be ok with.

Besides, I don't think that a regional bid (like the Ruhr region proposal) is the answer neither as the possible lesser sporting infrastucture costs will likely be eaten by the extra transportation and security costs.

I don't really see a way out tbf.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

The IOC only spared itself for a few years.by awarding the possibly two most ready cities back to back . But then what ?

Agenda 2020 failed, it didn't help bringing costs down. If anything, it allowed the games to grow even bigger with the host additional sports (339 events and 11,000+ athletes in Tokyo from a theoric cap of 310 event and 10,500 athletes). 

For 2032, the issue will be kicking again with no next-to-ready hosts around. The games will once again comes with a massive high price, that probably no democratic country will be ok with.

Besides, I don't think that a regional bid (like the Ruhr region proposal) is the answer neither as the possible lesser sporting infrastucture costs will likely be eaten by the extra transportation and security costs.

I don't really see a way out tbf.

Well. It can give them time to find some kind of solution. 

The actual candidacy phase is some 6 years away

il y a 8 minutes, Agger a déclaré:

Well. It can give them time to find some kind of solution. 

The actual candidacy phase is some 6 years away

Yes, they bought themselves some time. But that's it.

Time would have been enough indeed - if they whished so. But considering the auto congratulation we've seen yesterday. It's unlikely that anything major will happen between then.

My bet: Baku vs Shangai for 2032

I honestly think the time will come very soon, when the Olympic Games will be awarded to whole countries (or very big regions) instead of citys and smaller regions (like the Rhein-Ruhr area). It would be a pity, that all those different athletes wouldn't be able to live in the same Olympic village anymore, but I don't see many other possibilities.

Only speaking about Germany, because I don't know the situation in other countries, but theoretically, we have almost every sporting venue here, just in very different places. Transportation costs wouldn't be too expensive either, if it is spreat over the whole country. And I don't think the costs for security measures will be much higher than for example during a Football Worldcup, which takes place in a whole country as well.

Edited by EselTheDonkey

il y a 5 minutes, EselTheDonkey a déclaré:

I honestly think the time will come very soon, when the Olympic Games will be awarded to whole countries (or very big regions) instead of citys and smaller regions (like the Rhein-Ruhr area). It would be a pity, that all those different athletes wouldn't be able to live in the same Olympic village anymore, but I don't see many other possibilities.

Spring games ? (ie splitting the summer games in two)

2 hours ago, dcro said:

2026 bidding doesn't look bad thus far, with :CAN Calgary, :SUI Sion, :NOR Lillehammer, :AUT Innsbruck as potential bidders (accoring to Wiki)

But then again, i don't believe in any Swiss bid... Or Norwegian.

Our sport minister speak about a possible italian-austrian bid. I haven't idea if it is only a political move or what.

4 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Our sport minister speak about a possible italian-austrian bid. I haven't idea if it is only a political move or what.

The Innsbruck bid is in fact Innsbruck-Tirol, but so far it refers to Austrian citites of Seefeld, Kühtai and St. Anton am Arlberg as well as German Inzell. No word on Italy for now. On 15th of October there will be a referendum in Tirol during Austrian parlamentary election.

Adding to the list of @dcro there are also :KAZ Almaty, :JPN Sapporo and :TUR Erzurum interested in 2026 Olympics.