Friday April 20th, 2018 -

Round-Robin Last Day Results (GMT +2)

13:00  :LUX Luxembourg  2 - 1  North Korea :PRK

16:30  :MEX Mexico  3 - 5  Israel :ISR

20:00  :ESP Spain  6 - 4  New Zealand :NZL

Final Standing

1. Spain 15  :ESP  :champion:

Qualified for the Men´s Division II Group A World Championships 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. New Zealand 12

3. Israel 9

4. North Korea 3

5. Mexico 3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Luxembourg 3

Relegated for the Men´s Division III World Championships 2019

MEN´S DIVISION II

GROUP B

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

f5afb48f8e.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fourth gold for Spain

Men’s team concludes a historic season

31052225_10156121568735900_8276238964971

Spain’s golden season continues with the men’s national team winning the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division II Group B on home ice in Granada.

The senior team’s success means the Spaniards have picked up four gold medals this season, securing promotions for the men’s U18 and U20 teams and the senior women’s roster. No other country, at any level of IIHF competition, has managed a comparable medal haul, with Spain ending its campaign with four golds from a possible five. All the successful teams were playing in Division IIB of their respective competitions.

The latest triumph came on home ice in Granada. The Andalusian city hosted the Winter Universiade in 2015, but it has a greater sporting tradition in bullfighting and football. This week, though, it had a chance to enjoy a glut of goals from a Spanish team determined to bounce straight back to Division IIA after relegation 12 months ago. The host nation rattled in 49 goals in five games, allowing just six, as it powered to top spot ahead of New Zealand thanks to a 6-4 success when the teams met.

As the seedings suggested, it all came down to Friday night’s decider against the Kiwis. Both teams had progressed through the competition without dropping a point, although the rampant form of the Spanish offence suggested the host nation might have the edge. Opening with a 15-1 drubbing of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Spain also enjoyed a 14-0 rout of Mexico and a 10-1 success over Luxembourg. With all-out attack at the heart of Luciano Basile’s team for this tournament, Spain took the same approach into the showdown with New Zealand, firing in 53 shots net Daniel Lee’s net.

Despite that, it took most of the first period to find a way through the opposing defence. A power-play goal in the 18th minute – Carlos Rivero winning the puck in the corner and feeding Alejandro Carbonell for a close-range wrist shot – finally broke the deadlock to give Spain a lead that its first-period dominance deserved. Carbonell, who plays his hockey in the French second tier with Annecy, is one of four players on the roster playing abroad. Bruno Baldris (Angers Ducs), Gaston Gonzalez (Montpellier Vipers) and Adrian Ubieto (Anglet Hormadi) also play across the border in France.

In the middle frame, the Spanish offence was rampant once again – and this time it converted chances into goals more readily, scoring four times on Lee. Patricio Fuentes set the tone in the 22nd minute, adding a second after Spain repeatedly prevented New Zealand from clearing its lines, and there were further tallies from Oriol Rubio, Oriol Boronat and Ignacio Granell.

However, the hitherto reliable defence – which had allowed just two goals in four games – began to wobble. New Zealand scored three of its own to remain in contention. Paris Heyd quickly converted a power play when he tipped home Callum Burns’ point shot, Aleksandr Polozov finished off after Jacob Ratcliffe’s shot was deflected into his path and Andrew Cox saw his point shot bounce off a defenceman and find the net. At the end of the middle frame, Spain led 5-3 and New Zealand, despite facing an onslaught, still believed it had a chance.

Boronat got his second of the night to make it 6-3 early in the third, but a power play tally from Frazer Ellis kept the Kiwis in contention. Now, though, a more cautious Spain slowed down the offence and closed out the victory to spark the gold medal celebrations at the final hooter. For New Zealand, it was a second successive silver medal after finishing runner-up on home ice last year.

Not surprisingly, Spanish players dominated the scoring charts to take four of the top five places. Boronat (5+7) led the way, with the Puigcerda player finishing one point ahead of team-mate Fuentes from San Sebastian. Seven goals for Boronat’s clubmate Pablo Munoz made him the top goalscorer and he was joined on 10 points by the tournament’s most productive defenseman, Ubieto. New Zealand’s Jordan Challis (3+7) also made the top five. Spain’s dominance ensured that the team allowed just 70 shots on its net over the five games. Ander Alcaine faced most of them and finished with a GAA of 1.49 on his way to the directorate award for top goalie, but Israel’s Nir Tichon also made a good case for honours with an SVG of 91.82%. Fuentes was the top forward and New Zealand’s Stefan Helmersson was top D-man.

Israel secured third place with a victory over Mexico in its final game to finish on nine points. That result also condemned Luxembourg to relegation. The team from the principality won its last game against DPR Korea and would have survived on that head-to-head result if Mexico had gained at least a point against Israel. Instead, though, the teams finished in a three-way tie with Mexico and Luxembourg sharing the same goal difference. The Mexicans’ 3-1 success in the head-to-head meeting kept the Central Americans in this section and sent Luxembourg back to Division III after just one season.

Results Thread

after yesterday's HC Bolzano/Bozen Foxies success in the EBEL, tomorrow it's time for the Italian National team to kill the happiness of the Italian Hockey fans...

Division IA starts with an interesting lineup (SLO, KAZ, HUN, POL, ITA & GBR) and our perspective should be to save our a**, rather than hoping for a non predictable promotion...

Our first game is against Poland (h.19.30 CET, live streaming, as for the entire tournament, on the IIHF page on Youtube) and it could prove already decisive for our championship...a loss, infact, would probably mean that we're going to play for the 5th spot against GBR and nothing more...

and looking at our team, I just can't be optimistic...

Tomorrow start the Divisions I A and B with their respective opening days in Budapest, Hungary and Kaunas, Lithuania, tomorrow as well is the final day of this years Division III Tournament.

2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A
In Budapest, :HUN , 22-28 April 2018

Sunday April 22nd, 2018 -

Round-Robin Day 1 Schedule (GMT +2)

12:30  :GBR Great Britain vs Slovenia :SLO

16:00  :HUN Hungary vs Kazakhstan :KAZ

19:30  :POL Poland vs Italy :ITA

*Tournament Format: 6 Nations play a usual Round-Robin tournament, Each team play once every opponent,

The first two ranked Nations will qualify for the Men´s World Championships Top Division next year in 2019 in Slovakia.

The Nations ranked 3rd-5th will stay in this division also for the next season,

The last ranked 6th Nation will be relegated to the Men´s Division I Group B World Championships 2019.

LIVESTREAM

GBR vs SLO

HUN vs KAZ

POL vs ITA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group B
In Kaunas, :LTU , 22-28 April 2018

Round-Robin Day 1 Schedule (GMT +3)

12:30  :EST Estonia vs Japan :JPN

16:00  :ROU Romania vs Ukraine :UKR

19:30  :CRO Croatia vs Lithuania :LTU

*Tournament Format: 6 Nations play a usual Round-Robin tournament, Each team play once every opponent,

The first ranked Nation will qualify for the Men´s World Championships Division I Group A next year in 2019.

The Nations ranked 2nd-5th will stay in this division also for the next season,

The last ranked 6th Nation will be relegated to the Men´s Division II Group A World Championships 2019.

LIVESTREAM

EST vs JPN

ROU vs UKR

CRO v LTU

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division III
In Cape Town, :RSA , 16-22 April 2018

Round-Robin Last Day Schedule (GMT +2)

13:00  :GEO Georgia vs Chinese Taipei :TPE

16:15  :TUR Turkey vs Bulgaria :BUL

20:00  :HKG Hong Kong vs South Africa :RSA

*Bulgaria, Georgia and Turkey are still fighting for the promotion.

**Bulgaria will qualify - if they win against Turkey in Regular Time and Georgia will not beat Taipei in Regular Time, or if they defeat Turkey after OT/GWS but Georgia lose to Taipei.

***Georgia will qualify - if they win against Taipei in Regular Time, or if they win against Taipei after OT/GWS but the match Bulgaria-Turkey will not end in Regulation Time.

****Turkey will qualify - if they win against Bulgaria in Regular Time and Georgia will not beat Taipei in Regular Time, or if they defeat Bulgaria after OT/GWS but Georgia have to lose to Taipei.

*****The game Hong Kong vs South Africa is the direct match for the maintain in this division.

Hong Kong must win in Regulation Time to avoid relegation to Division III Qualification Tournament next year, any other result will maintain the South Africans and send down Hong Kong.

LIVESTREAM

HERE

Livestreams of the todays starting Divisions I tournaments A and B added

LIVESTREAM Div I A

GBR vs SLO

HUN vs KAZ

POL vs ITA

LIVESTREAM Div I B

EST vs JPN

ROU vs UKR

CRO v LTU

Remember that games may be subjects to geo-blocking

here are the TV listings of Division I A tournament

Spoiler

The 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A will be broadcast in several countries and territories. Find a list of broadcast partners below:

• Bosnia & Herzegovina: Arena Sport
  • Croatia: Arena Sport
  • Czech Republic: Sport 1, Sport 2
  • FYR Macedonia: Arena Sport
  • Great Britain: Premier Sports
  • Hungary: Sport 1, Sport 2
  • Ireland: Premier Sports
  • Kazakhstan: Qazsports
  • Kosovo: Arena Sport
  • Montenegro: Arena Sport
  • Poland: TV Poland
  • Serbia: Arena Sport
  • Slovakia: Sport 1, Sport 2
  • Slovenia: RTV Slovenia, Sport TV
  • Ukraine: TBD

and for division I B

Spoiler

The 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A will be broadcast in several countries and territories. Find a list of broadcast partners below:

• Estonia: ERR
  • Lithuania: LRT
  • Romania: TBD

9 minuti fa, hckosice ha scritto:

here are the TV listings of Division I A tournament

Mostra contenuto

• Czech Republic: Sport 1, Sport 2
  • Great Britain: Premier Sports
  • Hungary: Sport 1, Sport 2
  • Ireland: Premier Sports
  • Kazakhstan: Qazsports
  • Poland: TV Poland
  • Slovakia: Sport 1, Sport 2
  • Ukraine: TBD

Mostra contenuto

• Estonia: ERR
  • Lithuania: LRT
  • Romania: TBD

surprise, surprise...no Italy at all (not that it's something unexpected, though)...:facepalm::wall:

nice that I can watch 3 of the 5 games of the Italian team on Sport1 HD (the remaining 2 are streamed by IIHF in any case, which should be more than enough)...:lol::cheer:

33 minuti fa, phelps ha scritto:

surprise, surprise...no Italy at all (not that it's something unexpected, though)...:facepalm::wall:

nice that I can watch 3 of the 5 games of the Italian team on Sport1 HD (the remaining 2 are streamed by IIHF in any case, which should be more than enough)...:lol::cheer:

Sport1HD? Sky or what?

21 minuti fa, Gianlu33 ha scritto:

Sport1HD? Sky or what?

Czech/Slovak TV (skylink bouquet on satellite @ 23.5 east degrees)...:evil:

I have an official subscrition to that package (as I wrote many times, I'm addicted to Ice Hockey, so I do everything I can to watch as many games as possible -and if only I could subscribe to the Swedish and Finnish channels...:wall:)...;):lol:

Edited by phelps