website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2017

juddy96

I'm somewhat disappointed with the results so far. Minagawa's bronze medal was a nice surprise, but overall this event is at a much lower quality than I was expecting it to be.

I've never been a fan of Ashram, and even though she won a medal today, it was not the moment for me to change my opinion about her. Compared to gymnasts with creative routines like Vladinova and Pazhava, Ashram is just more of the same. She plays by the books, and I think it's just plain boring to watch. I expected more from Vladinova, but she still managed to walk away with a bronze medal, which is nice. Pazhava is still recovering from a nasty injury and it's clear she was not ready to compete on this level. Still, her routines are gorgeous and she is probably the best thing this sport has ever seen, in my opinion, even though she almost never wins major medals. 

Both Russians were once again overscored here and there, but you can't deny they are MILES ahead of the rest of the field. Deserved medals for them, for sure. Halkina was a big surprise to me. Even though she has had great results this year, I just thought she would choke, but she had the best result for a non-Russian gymnast (silver). Harnasko is wonderful to watch, but she seemed to be nervous during all of her routines. Agiurgiuculese had great results in her first year as a senior gymnast. Zeng is even more mechanical than Ashram, and I believe she has reached her peak. And I hope with all my heart that Ukraine manages to improve on what we've seen.

Edited by thiago_simoes

49 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Some of the scores today make no sense at all to me. As usual, Russia gets scores unbelievably high, while smaller countries like Estonia receive scores impossibly low.

What did you think about Japan? It didn't seem that impressive to me, even dull in their pace.

Also US getting overscored, they had some troubles with their 3x-2x routine.

5 horas atrás, mrv86 disse:

What did you think about Japan? It didn't seem that impressive to me, even dull in their pace.

Also US getting overscored, they had some troubles with their 3x-2x routine.

Japan deserved their bronze medal. Their execution is tight and even though they are too technical (instead of emotional like Italy or Belarus), their medal was deserved.

The US is clearly being favored for a number of years now. Still, they have improved a lot. Not as much to deserve the scores they are given, though,

Canada was severely underscored, in my opinion. I mean, they got 17 for one of their routines at the World Cup circuit, and now they got 13. Come on! They had some mistakes here and there, but 13 is too low.

Every year I have high hopes that things are finally going to be different, but year after year the group competition is a mess. 

I mean, Italy had a nice routine, but a score this big? Close to 19? Massive overscore. This makes no sense. Bulgaria got the chop in 5 hoops despite presenting a wonderful routine. Then, judges were generous with Bulgaria in ropes and balls. No medal for Belarus? Unbelievable. No medal for Ukraine? Well, I think Ukraine was overhyped the whole year, so I'm okay with that. But, still, totally unexpected.