Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


Vojthas

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

44 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

    • Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport


Recommended Posts

Mkbw50    98
4 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I can't answer to the poll formulated in this way...there are worse events in the Olympics, despite being show and entertainment rather than sports.

 

But which video games could be used to play? I can't think of a game which:

- requires some physical abilities (so not purely strategic games / mind games);

- is not a sport simulation (there is already the real version);

- is not based on violence, killing,...

You need fast reaction speeds (in terms of physical abilities)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunadan    58
3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

You need fast reaction speeds (in terms of physical abilities)

Yes but not for all games...can you tell me the name of a game which is currently played in e-sports competitions that needs physical abilities (reflexes, coordination,...) and it's not a simulation of an existing sport and it's not violent ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rdbc    7
9 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I can't answer to the poll formulated in this way...there are worse events in the Olympics, despite being show and entertainment rather than sports.

 

But which video games could be used to play? I can't think of a game which:

- requires some physical abilities (so not purely strategic games / mind games);

- is not a sport simulation (there is already the real version);

- is not based on violence, killing,...

 

Rocket League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OlympicIRL    557
5 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Yes but not for all games...can you tell me the name of a game which is currently played in e-sports competitions that needs physical abilities (reflexes, coordination,...) and it's not a simulation of an existing sport and it's not violent ?

 

Guitar / band hero maybe :d

 

But I don't think it's played in e-sports currently :d. That's actually my biggest issue with e-sports, the focus is too much on one or two genres (though I admit I don't know a lot about it so I could be wrong).

 

Edited by OlympicIRL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nate River    69
21 minutes ago, Skijumpingmaster said:

Just like chess, billiard and darts it's not a sport. And the olympics is a sports competition , so no. Sitting on your ass playing Counter strike has no place in the olympics. 

I would actually really like the IOC to organize some sort of mind sport Olympics specifically for things like chess, go and e sports. Would need to work on the branding, but you could also include a bunch of "skill" sports like cue sports, darts and bowling that wouldn't feel at home in the Summer Olympics.

 

But as to the original topic: the IOC can't ignore e sports, but I don't think they really belong in the Summer Olympics either.

Edited by Nate River
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
De_Gambassi    144

I've a hard time imaginning chess, poker and e-sport players sharing the same event. That doesn't seem like a natural fit at all :d

 

My bet, e-sport will end up having their own sort of games. That will be big, but not as big as anyone thinks and won't hurt the OG. Kinda like the X Games, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I would actually really like the IOC to organize some sort of mind sport Olympics specifically for things like chess, go and e sports. Would need to work on the branding, but you could also include a bunch of "skill" sports like cue sports, darts and bowling that wouldn't feel at home in the Summer Olympics.

 

But as to the original topic: the IOC can't ignore e sports, but I don't think they really belong in the Summer Olympics either.

 

There was a World Mind Games, though I think the 2016 version was cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quasit    82
5 minutes ago, phelps said:

shame and misfortune for the entire life to those who just "thought to think" about that...:bones:

Even if it wasn't for E-sports, you can't expect sport to be traditional for 100 more years to come. At some point, there will be something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phelps    188
1 minute ago, Quasit said:

Even if it wasn't for E-sports, you can't expect sport to be traditional for 100 more years to come. At some point, there will be something new.

 

even if I care about "tradition", my opinion about E-Sports and the Olympics has nothing to do with that...

it's just that those are NOT sports activities and therefore shouldn't even be counted nor recognized by the IOC. Point. :evil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quasit    82
8 minutes ago, phelps said:

 

even if I care about "tradition", my opinion about E-Sports and the Olympics has nothing to do with that...

it's just that those are NOT sports activities and therefore shouldn't even be counted nor recognized by the IOC. Point. :evil:

I agree they just wouldn't fit in the Olympic programme. Like suggested above, a Mind Games & Esports Olympics for themselves would be a great idea.

 

However, what annoys me is that some activities, including Chess, Darts or Snooker, are not considered sports by lots of people. Why? Anything can be a sport with enough competitive elements. Even dishwashing. I think your picture of sport as a whole is more athletic, right?

Edited by Quasit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×