website statistics

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Vojthas

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

• Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport

5 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Esport are not spectators friendly at all if you didn't grew up playing video games (and, even then, LoL is something not noob-friendly at all)

Besides, you have to remember , that the people who are calling the shots are in their 60s or 70s. There might be a reason why skateboarding was included 20 or 30 after it explodes.

Besides (x2), IIRC, the olympic sports program will be the same until 2024 except for additional sporst, and I realy don't see the Paris OC going for ESport (lack of available venue, and much better proposition from other sports). It will be 2028 at the sooner (hopefully never).

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

4 minutos atrás, Rdbc disse:

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

I may be against the inclusion of games, but I agree about this. Fighting games, for example, ARE spectator-friendly. But not many people are aware of the competitive scene, and ignore the powerful effect some matches have on the viewers. 

il y a 6 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

Because, many (myself included) don't consider esport as a 'sport'.

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

Because, many (myself included) don't consider esport as a 'sport'.

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

3 minutes ago, Rdbc said:

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

If Olympics are a sport event, why then put there something, which is not sport?

il y a 16 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

Just for the sake of discussion. You you watch the final of say SFIV instead of an athletic or swimming final ?

Edited by De_Gambassi

6 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

If Olympics are a sport event, why then put there something, which is not sport?

It's hard to explain because while it's not a sport in the sense of physical activity, etc. it is a sport in the fact that it uses the brain, hand-eye coordination, etc. For example, I think eSports could be in the Olympics but I don't think chess could. It's really hard to show someone what I mean if they don't know how eSports works, etc. 

2 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Just for the sake of discussion. You you watch the final of say SFIV instead of an athletic or swimming infal

Kinda, confused on the wording but it all depends on the eSport to be honest I would rather watch a swimming final than a SFIV final because I dont follow SFIV. But I'd watch a SFIV final before I watch a Sport Climbing final. 

il y a 3 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

Kinda, confused on the wording but it all depends on the eSport to be honest I would rather watch a swimming final than a SFIV final because I dont follow SFIV. But I'd watch a SFIV final before I watch a Sport Climbing final. 

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm half-drunk. Get used to it !

But thanks anyway for your answer. I still feel like most of the esport fans are very passive viewers (ie: they will not turn on for one given event, but simply launch twitch and see what's going on); which it's not really how the olympics work.

38 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm half-drunk. Get used to it !

But thanks anyway for your answer. I still feel like most of the esport fans are very passive viewers (ie: they will not turn on for one given event, but simply launch twitch and see what's going on); which it's not really how the olympics work.

Your English is 100% better than my French. It honestly just depends on the game for example LoL has games each weekend and about 100,000+ people tune in every weekend to watch it really it just depends on if the game advertises that they are having a competition.