Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


Vojthas

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

    • Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport


Recommended Posts

OlympicIRL    515
5 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Well, that looks as a solid base for organisation of protest demonstration in Lausanne in case IOC would be stupid enough to try to introduce it to the Olympics. I hope we won't have to.

 

They added mixed 4x400m in athletics so anything is possible these days :d

 

Edited by OlympicIRL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rdbc    2

I'm the only one here who thinks eSports should go to the Olympics. I think what I find kinda silly is the fact that so many people are so strongly against adding it. It's not like the IOC is forcing you guys to watch eSports if it's added. If eSports do get added they would most likely be adding fifa and madden possibly the eSports with the least amount of viewership and money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OlympicIRL    515
3 minutes ago, Rdbc said:

I'm the only one here who thinks eSports should go to the Olympics. I think what I find kinda silly is the fact that so many people are so strongly against adding it. It's not like the IOC is forcing you guys to watch eSports if it's added. If eSports do get added they would most likely be adding fifa and madden possibly the eSports with the least amount of viewership and money. 

 

I'm not strongly against it, I have an open mind on it hence why I didn't vote. If I saw some tournaments and e-sports could show to me that it is firstly watchable as a spectator friendly sport and had a variety of different game skills and types (not just shooters and FIFA) then I could live with it. I think now is too soon but I am no more against e-sports than adding horrible mixed relays and such for the sake of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rdbc    2
3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

 

I'm not strongly against it, I have an open mind on it hence why I didn't vote. If I saw some tournaments and e-sports could show to me that it is firstly watchable as a spectator friendly sport and had a variety of different game skills and types (not just shooters and FIFA) then I could live with it. I think now is too soon but I am no more against e-sports than adding horrible mixed relays and such for the sake of it.

 

Yes, most eSports games you need to play to be able to understand it as a first time spectator so I think right now the IOC has only 1 viable game that could be added that is both not violent and spectator friendly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutos atrás, Rdbc disse:

I'm the only one here who thinks eSports should go to the Olympics. I think what I find kinda silly is the fact that so many people are so strongly against adding it. It's not like the IOC is forcing you guys to watch eSports if it's added. If eSports do get added they would most likely be adding fifa and madden possibly the eSports with the least amount of viewership and money. 

 

Instead of watching someone play virtual football, why not watch real people play real football? It's already part of the Olympics, anyway.

I can see people playing games like League of Legends and maybe Counter Strike, since these are multiplayer co-op titles, but I still think there is no place at the Olympics for games. It takes a lot of skill to do something like Daigo did at that Street Fighter III match, but I can't see how well this would adapt to the Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
De_Gambassi    87

Esport are not spectators friendly at all if you didn't grew up playing video games (and, even then, LoL is something not noob-friendly at all)

 

Besides, you have to remember , that the people who are calling the shots are in their 60s or 70s. There might be a reason why skateboarding was included 20 or 30 after it explodes.

 

Besides (x2), IIRC, the olympic sports program will be the same until 2024 except for additional sporst, and I realy don't see the Paris OC going for ESport (lack of available venue, and much better proposition from other sports). It will be 2028 at the sooner (hopefully never).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rdbc    2
5 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Esport are not spectators friendly at all if you didn't grew up playing video games (and, even then, LoL is something not noob-friendly at all)

 

Besides, you have to remember , that the people who are calling the shots are in their 60s or 70s. There might be a reason why skateboarding was included 20 or 30 after it explodes.

 

Besides (x2), IIRC, the olympic sports program will be the same until 2024 except for additional sporst, and I realy don't see the Paris OC going for ESport (lack of available venue, and much better proposition from other sports). It will be 2028 at the sooner (hopefully never).

 

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutos atrás, Rdbc disse:

 

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

 

I may be against the inclusion of games, but I agree about this. Fighting games, for example, ARE spectator-friendly. But not many people are aware of the competitive scene, and ignore the powerful effect some matches have on the viewers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
De_Gambassi    87
il y a 6 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

 

But some eSports are spectator friendly even if you haven't ever watched/played it before. I guess I'm just not understanding why people are so against it. 

 

Because, many (myself included) don't consider esport as a 'sport'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rdbc    2
1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

 

Because, many (myself included) don't consider esport as a 'sport'.

 

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vojthas    19
3 minutes ago, Rdbc said:

 

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

If Olympics are a sport event, why then put there something, which is not sport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
De_Gambassi    87
il y a 16 minutes, Rdbc a déclaré:

 

Your correct, eSports is not a sport if it was they would just call it "sport" but instead they call it eSports because it's an electronic sport. Even though it's not a "sport" I do still think eSports still has a place in the Olympics. 

 

Just for the sake of discussion. You you watch the final of say SFIV instead of an athletic or swimming final ?

Edited by De_Gambassi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×