website statistics

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Vojthas

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

• Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport

9 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I can't answer to the poll formulated in this way...there are worse events in the Olympics, despite being show and entertainment rather than sports.

But which video games could be used to play? I can't think of a game which:

- requires some physical abilities (so not purely strategic games / mind games);

- is not a sport simulation (there is already the real version);

- is not based on violence, killing,...

Rocket League

5 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Yes but not for all games...can you tell me the name of a game which is currently played in e-sports competitions that needs physical abilities (reflexes, coordination,...) and it's not a simulation of an existing sport and it's not violent ?

Guitar / band hero maybe :d

But I don't think it's played in e-sports currently :d. That's actually my biggest issue with e-sports, the focus is too much on one or two genres (though I admit I don't know a lot about it so I could be wrong).

Edited by OlympicIRL

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, Skijumpingmaster said:

Just like chess, billiard and darts it's not a sport. And the olympics is a sports competition , so no. Sitting on your ass playing Counter strike has no place in the olympics. 

I would actually really like the IOC to organize some sort of mind sport Olympics specifically for things like chess, go and e sports. Would need to work on the branding, but you could also include a bunch of "skill" sports like cue sports, darts and bowling that wouldn't feel at home in the Summer Olympics.

But as to the original topic: the IOC can't ignore e sports, but I don't think they really belong in the Summer Olympics either.

Edited by NearPup

I've a hard time imaginning chess, poker and e-sport players sharing the same event. That doesn't seem like a natural fit at all :d

My bet, e-sport will end up having their own sort of games. That will be big, but not as big as anyone thinks and won't hurt the OG. Kinda like the X Games, really.

9 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I would actually really like the IOC to organize some sort of mind sport Olympics specifically for things like chess, go and e sports. Would need to work on the branding, but you could also include a bunch of "skill" sports like cue sports, darts and bowling that wouldn't feel at home in the Summer Olympics.

But as to the original topic: the IOC can't ignore e sports, but I don't think they really belong in the Summer Olympics either.

There was a World Mind Games, though I think the 2016 version was cancelled.

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

shame and misfortune for the entire life to those who just "thought to think" about that...:bones:

Even if it wasn't for E-sports, you can't expect sport to be traditional for 100 more years to come. At some point, there will be something new.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 minute ago, Quasit said:

Even if it wasn't for E-sports, you can't expect sport to be traditional for 100 more years to come. At some point, there will be something new.

even if I care about "tradition", my opinion about E-Sports and the Olympics has nothing to do with that...

it's just that those are NOT sports activities and therefore shouldn't even be counted nor recognized by the IOC. Point. :evil:

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

even if I care about "tradition", my opinion about E-Sports and the Olympics has nothing to do with that...

it's just that those are NOT sports activities and therefore shouldn't even be counted nor recognized by the IOC. Point. :evil:

I agree they just wouldn't fit in the Olympic programme. Like suggested above, a Mind Games & Esports Olympics for themselves would be a great idea.

However, what annoys me is that some activities, including Chess, Darts or Snooker, are not considered sports by lots of people. Why? Anything can be a sport with enough competitive elements. Even dishwashing. I think your picture of sport as a whole is more athletic, right?

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.