website statistics

Volleyball Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

LDOG

3 minutes ago, hoversaBR said:

Of those eight teams, four were exactly the semifinalists of this European qualifying. So a team would have to be out of the Rio, were unfortunately you.  So, I think your team deserves to be in Rio.

I would really like to see german volleyball in Rio, especially because this would be the last big tournament for many of our players (Grozer for example) and for our coach (he will quit his job later this year), but its very unlikely that IOC will suspend such a big team and in addition to that we had our chance to qualify in a fair competition and we werent able to do it, so it wouldnt feel right to see the german team in Rio. I think there is noone who really thinks that Russia won because of Markin, they also wouldve won without him.

Edit: I have to say that i am pretty sad about all of this, because our women also were extremely "unlucky" to not qualify. If i would be able to give a ticket to Rio to one of our volleyball teams, then i would definitely give it to our womens team.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

The women had a somewhat easier tournament. It was still difficult enough, but for the men it was really, really hard. I truly think that there wasn't as difficult a qualification in any other sport than this European tournament. Because of this I would always give the tickets for the men first. Anyway, the World Qualifier is at the end of May, so our team should better start preparing, just in case.

Edited by EselTheDonkey
Fixing Typo

Well, the general secretary of Russian Volley Federation said lately that he "doesn't expect" FiVB to analyze Rusian results or to  disqualify Russia and hopes it will stay that way. To be honest it reminds me of last year's world league, where Russian volleyball authorities were also pretty sure that they country won't be relegated to division II even before FIvB announced their decision.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

FIVB regulations

Where one member of a volleyball team has been notified of an anti-doping rule violation 
under Article 7  during an  Event Period, the ruling body for the  Event  a)  shall conduct 
appropriate Target Testing  of the team during the  Event Period; and b) may decide that 
the team shall be subject  to  Disqualification  from the  Event  or other disciplinary action, 
including forfeit of game(s)  or of any medals and prizes,  in addition to any 
Consequences  imposed upon the individual  Athlete(s)  committing the anti-doping rule 
violation. 
Factors to be included in considering whether to impose any sanction on  a volleyball team 
under this Article  might include, for example, the seriousness of the  Athlete’s anti-doping 
rule violation,  whether the  Athlete  tested negative in  other games  of the same  Event,  the 
extent to which  the team’s  result(s) in the game and/or  Event  in which the anti-doping 
rule violation occurred were likely to have been affected by the  Athlete's anti-doping rule 
violation etc

57 minutes ago, VolleyRuller96 said:

Well, the general secretary of Russian Volley Federation said lately that he "doesn't expect" FiVB to analyze Rusian results or to  disqualify Russia and hopes it will stay that way. To be honest it reminds me of last year's world league, where Russian volleyball authorities were also pretty sure that they country won't be relegated to division II even before FIvB announced their decision.

Do we know if he was caught after the semi or the final ? If the latter, FIVB could simply decide on Russia's forfet for the final only. Meaning that Russia would still have a great chance to qualifie for Rio and the FIVB could keep on pretending they care about anti-doping.

17 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Do we know if he was caught after the semi or the final ? If the latter, FIVB could simply decide on Russia's forfet for the final only. Meaning that Russia would still have a great chance to qualifie for Rio and the FIVB could keep on pretending they care about anti-doping.

According to this article, the positive test was after the match against Germany in the semi final: http://www.sport1.de/volleyball/dvv-pokal/2016/03/dvv-herren-winkt-nachtraeglich-ein-ticket-fuer-olympische-spiele-in-rio

Just now, EselTheDonkey said:

According to this article, the positive test was after the match against Germany in the semi final: http://www.sport1.de/volleyball/dvv-pokal/2016/03/dvv-herren-winkt-nachtraeglich-ein-ticket-fuer-olympische-spiele-in-rio

But with a Russian DSQ Germany still would have to play the worldwide OQT for which they're not qualified now, right? I mean, it's not like Germany would get Russia's ticket..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Ok, then it's either nothing or Russia out of Rio. So, really, it means that nothing will happen.

14 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

He was tested positive for doping both after the final & semifinal vs Germany, where he played in 3rd set (which was won by Russia)

What's funny is that a person from Russian Volleyball Federation has already claimed, with nobody asking the question, that the whole team of Dynamo Moscow used the same doping substance, but in december 2015, before the substance was illegal. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but after all this I am seriously wondering if he did that just to statte a fact, or does this have something to do with 5 players from that club playing in the Olympic Qualification Tournament, and maybe he already knows something and is already looking for excuses. I realise I might sound rude to the Russian fans, who are probably already  depressed due to how many of their athletes have been tested positive recently, but after Michael Platini case I learned that in those sort of situations  you don't answer the questions nobody asked -  I mean, at the beggining he too criticized the Fifa corruption scandal & Sepp Blatter , and we all know how it all ended 

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

If Russia gets DSQ (and I don't really think that they will) then there are two possibilities.

1.) France as the finalist gets the direct ticket for Rio and Germany gets the ticket for the Qualifier in Japan.

or 2.) They have to repeat the European Qualifier.

I can't believe that possibility number two will happen. France or Poland would be (understandably!) not happy about this at all. And they don't have much time anyway. the decision is at the end of April and the tournament at the end of May. They have to find a host, a date and the teams have to regroup. This seems impossible.