website statistics

World Roller Games 2017

De_Gambassi

4 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

A failure in the sense, that one of the (if not the) points of these games was probably to make each of these disciplines bigger by holding them together, and not just one by one. Just like the Olympics are making every sport bigger by holding them together (to a much, much lesser scale obv.)

I don't really know neither if it is working for the other roller disciplines (doesn't look like it is though), but for both hockey, it really doesen't. 

If anything, both hockey are losing  (attendance, media attention, etc.) with these Worl roller Games if you comparethem to previous world championships.

I understand your point of view...

and basically I agree with you...

for sure I can tell you that our National TV for the first time in many, many years is not broadcasting the Rink Hockey tournament, while they always did it in the past when Rink Hockey had their World Champs standalone...:facepalm:

il y a 6 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

yeah, I think this system is really unfair for the second tier teams and a gift to the third tier teams...

on the other hand, I understand the idea of the International Federation to limit the humiliating scores for those smaller teams like Austria, South Africa and so on, avoiding them to play in the group phase against the big powerhouses like Spain, Argentina and Portugal (who normally score tons of goals against those smaller Hockey Nations)...

I guess that they should find something different half way from this but not going back to the old 35-0 days...

let's see what they decide in the next few seasons about it...

Not only that, but the brillant idea to use 2015 world championship results for the draw wich screw the balance between groups with Germany beeing the 4th best seeded team. Everybody knows what are the four rink hockey nations, don't screw that.

il y a 11 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

I understand your point of view...

and basically I agree with you...

for sure I can tell you that our National TV for the first time in many, many years is not broadcasting the Rink Hockey tournament, while they always did it in the past when Rink Hockey had their World Champs standalone...:facepalm:

Well, that's a tragedy then. Because, really, rink hockey needs all the media attention it can get. Outside of Portugal, and Catalonia, it's a matter of survival.

No national or regional or local or even high school TV over here, but that's nothing new in France :rolleyes:

Regarding, future competitions, you have to work with the available materials. You need to be pragmatic.

Tier 1:

ESP, POR, ITA, ARG

Tier 2:

FRA, SUI, GER, ANG, MOZ, CHI, COL

Tier 3:

ENG, US, NED, etc.

Considering that the tier 2 nations might occasionally upsetting tier 1 nations or at least running them very close (just like we saw with FRA-POR today), and that at the same time the tier 2 vs tier 3 matchs often end up with the same cricket scores than tier 1 vs tier 3 would. I'd go for a 12 teams A world championsip, 2 groups of five, with the four tier 1 nations always seeded as the top four, first team in each group directly to the semi finals, second and third teams to play off, last team to play out.

I'd also love to see some kind of an annual six nations rink hockey championship, but that's never going to happen :rolleyes:

Edited by De_Gambassi

In Argentina it's the opposite: The world championship hasn't been broadcasted on any nation-wide channel in years (since 2009 I think lol), but suddenly ESPN is broadcasting these Rink Hockey games!

This sport is only popular in one province (San Juan) and nowhere else in the country. Almost all our players are from there.

Men's Rink Hockey Senior World Championships

Group A, Day #3

Argentina - Italy 6-1

Portugal - France 6-5

Final Standings

ARG, 9 pts

ITA, 6 pts

POR, 3 pts

FRA, 0 pts

Group B, Day #3

Chile - Germany 7-3

Spain - Mozambique 3-2

Final Standings

ESP, 9 pts

MOZ, 6 pts

CHI, 3 pts

GER, 0 pts

FIRS Cup

Group A, Final Standings

COL, 9 pts

AUT, 6 pts

MAC, 1 pt

RSA, 1 pt

Group B, Final Standings

ANG, 9 pts

NED, 6 pts

EGY, 3 pts

USA, 0 pts

World Championships Quarterfinals

Thursday, all times CET

h.06.30: Spain – Colombia
h.08.30: Mozambique – Portugal
h.10.30: Chile – Italy
h.12.30: Angola – Argentina

P.S. All games will be streamed live on the Roller Games TV

Il y a 2 heures , LDOG a déclaré:

In Argentina it's the opposite: The world championship hasn't been broadcasted on any nation-wide channel in years (since 2009 I think lol), but suddenly ESPN is broadcasting these Rink Hockey games!

This sport is only popular in one province (San Juan) and nowhere else in the country. Almost all our players are from there.

Is there any particular reason for that ?

hace 3 horas, De_Gambassi said:

Is there any particular reason for that ?

I made a little research and apparently it entered the country through German inmigrants in early XX century. Then two guys from Buenos Aires travelled to San Juan and founded a hockey club there and the people from the province just took a liking to the sport and it grew from then to these days.

Edited by LDOG

Men's Rink Hockey World Championships

Quarterfinals

Spain - Colombia 11-3

Portugal - Mozambique 4-3

Italy - Chile 6-3 (on Penalty Shots, 3-3 after Regulation and Overtime)

Argentina - Angola 4-3 (after Overtime, 3-3 after Regulation)

5th/8th Place Classification Matches

Colombia - Chile 3-2

Angola - Mozambique 6-3

Semifinals

Italy - Spain 0-4

Portugal - Argentina 5-0