website statistics

World Roller Games 2017

De_Gambassi

Q&A:

--------

What the hell ? : First, thank you for this great question. The Roller Games are the first roller sports games organized by the roller sports federation also known as the "Fédération internationale de Roller Sports", pardon my french). During these games, 110 events from 10 disciplines will be show off during 15 days. 4,000 athletes are expected.

Nanjing, like in Nanjing, China ? : Yes, very good ! Not exactly your roller sports mecca, the city was initially chosen to host the second Roller Games in 2019, but after the withdraw of Barcelona in early 2016, both cities switch places making Nanjing the host city of these inaugural games.

So what are the sports ? : Immagine the Winter Olympic Games but without the snow and the ice ? Excited yet ? No ? well, you should, because that is exactly what you're going to get: Artistic, Alpine, Speed, Hockey (x2 !)...

Wait...two hockeys ? : Yes ! One is played on classic quad skates, when the second one is played on inline skates (pro tip: don't mention the existence of the other hockey to the other group).
Rink Hockey, Artistic and Roller Rerby are played on quad skates; Alpine, Downhill, Freestyle, Inline Hockey and Speed are played on inline skates; and finally skateboarding is played... well, on skateboards.

No rollerball then ? I'm affraid no. But you have Roller Derby (but yes, that's not the same without the explosions)

Why should I care? Because... it's on TV !. Ah forget about that, it probably won't be. Still, with 110 events, the odds are one of your countrymen is going to win one of these medals. And you like some random medals as much as the next guy, right ?

Any streams anywhere ? The federation actually has a pretty serviceable streaming service here. There is some hoping, we will be able to catch most of it.

Edited by De_Gambassi

Before, skatboarding was invited to Tokyo 2020, the closer, the sport was ever to the olympic dream was in 1992, when rink hockey was played as a demonstration sport during the Barcelona games.

Luckely enough, the final between Spain and Argentina has just been uploaded on the Olympic Channel :d

https://www.olympicchannel.com/es/events/world-roller-games-2017/

Edited by De_Gambassi

1 hour ago, De_Gambassi said:

Q&A:

--------

What the hell ? : First, thank you for this great question. The Roller Games are the first roller sports games organized by the roller sports federation also known as the "Fédération internationale de Roller Sports", pardon my french). During these games, 110 events from 10 disciplines will be show off in 15 days. 4,000 athletes are expected.

Nanjing, like in Nanjing, China ? : Yes, very good ! Not exactly your roller sports mecca, the city was initially chosen to host the second Roller Games in 2019, but after the withdraw of Barcelona in early 2016, both cities switch places making Nanjing the host city of these inaugural games.

So what are the sports ? : Immagine the Winter Olympic Games but withouth the snow and the ice ? Excited yet ? No ? well, you should, because that is exactly what you're going to get: Artistic, Alpine, Speed, Hockey (x2 !)...

Wait...two hockeys ? : Yes ! One is played on classic quad skates, when the second one is played on inline skates (pro tip: don't mention the existence of the other hockey to the other group).
Rink Hockey, Artistic and Roller Rerby are played on quad skates; Alpine, Downhill, Freestyle, Inline Hockey and Speed are played on inline skates; and finally skateboarding is played... well, on skateboards.

No rollerball then ? I'm affraid no. But you have Roller Derby (but yes, that's not the same without the explosions)

Why should I care? Because... it's on TV !. Ah forget about that, it probably won't be. Still, with 110 events, the odds are one of your countrymen is going to win one of these medals. And you like some random medals as much as the next guy, right ?

Any streams anywhere ? The federation actually has a pretty serviceable streaming service here. There is some hoping, we will be able to catch most of it.

Every unknown event should have a Q&A like this :lol:

I'm going to follow it, keep us updated please, don't wanna miss alpine downhill inline skating :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

il y a 20 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

I'm going to follow it, keep us updated please, don't wanna miss alpine downhill inline skating :d 

Count on me ! I can feel the excitement spreading through the world :d

But, seriouslsy, less than stellar sporting events and cheap trollling aside it is quite a big deal and a huge step forward for the roller sports familly. :)

Edit: at the very least, some of the names in the roller speed skating should ring a bell or two in  the Netherlands.

Edited by De_Gambassi

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Edit: at the very least, some of the names in the roller speed skating should ring a bell or two in  the Netherlands.

I have no doubt about that, I'm expecting the likes of Bart Swings and Peter Michael :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:cheer: Mascot's time :cheer:

What would be some sports games whithout, a mascot ? That's right : nothing .

The FIRS is proud to present to the World: Ningning, an apparently skating capable flower very much into colors :

Résultat de recherche d'images pour ""Ningning" "firs""

1.png

Soon enough on ebay

2.png

NingNing is making people happy

Edited by De_Gambassi

• 2 weeks later...

So.... apparently, the Games have started :d And, to the surprise of no one, the coverage so far is the worst 

And by the worst, I really mean the worst The official website is useless (and you can't find it on google...), as the official FIRS one, results are almost impossible to find online, and the FIRS TV has nothing...

Hoppefully, starting with the day after tomorow, this should have some live coverage, but in the meantime, we are left in the dark...

21 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

So.... apparently, the Games have started :d And, to the surprise of no one, the coverage so far is the worst 

And by the worst, I really mean the worst The official website is useless (and you can't find it on google...), as the official FIRS one, results are almost impossible to find online, and the FIRS TV has nothing...

Hoppefully, starting with the day after tomorow, this should have some live coverage, but in the meantime, we are left in the dark...

in general, I have to agree...but, to be honest, at least for Rink Hockey the FIRS website is giving the events a good coverage...we also have a live scoring (which is quite new for them)...

here you can find all schedules and results:

http://www.rollersports.org/discipline/rink-hockey/news/item/1251-rink-hockey-schedule-results-and-live-score-of-every-match

by the way, the women's Rink Hockey World Championship has come through the quarterfinals (playing today):

Argentina - USA 10-0

Chile - France 3-0

Germany - Italy 3-0

Spain - Portugal 4-1

Men's U-20 Rink Hockey also is at the quarterfinal stage (also today):

Spain - England 9-0

Italy - Colombia 5-0

Argentina - Chile 4-1

France - Portugal 4-7

they also say that the women's medal games and all the senior men's games will have a live streaming coverage...

here some news and results also about Inline Hockey:

http://www.rollersports.org/discipline/inline-hockey/news/item/1257-wrg2017-inline-hockey-goals-emotions-and-surprising-results

Edited by phelps