website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2017

Federer91

Başar (Turkey) has won the gold in 85 kg. I was not expecting him to win but I am not too hapy about this gold since grekoroman is still very boring and uncertain when you think about the rules. You can win the gold without a play which does not make any sense to me. Wrestling (especially the traditional Turkish Wrestling) is all about making plays and taking the competitor down. Clearly, this has not been happening in greko for a long time.

Edited by merlinsbeard

38 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

So Stäbler won in a weak category? Isnt he good enough to compete in -66 kg?

Don't worry about that, UWW wll change the weight classes completely after this tournament. in one of their proposals, 70kg will be an Olympic weight,  i can't remember the other proposal right now.

and wrestling is not like Rowing or Canoeing when non-Olympic events have less importance, the importance is 100% the same as Olympic weights, except the year before the Olympics which is an Olympic qualifier.

and 71kg was a strong competition, that was a well deserved world title for Stabler. so many 66kg wrestlres moved up weight after the Olympics, btoh Rio bronze medalists among them Chunayev and Bolkvadze.

so 3 bronze medals at the end of the day. actually that was a good result. with a bit more luck and better officiating we could have won 2 gold medals today. but I'm glad our Greco-Roman is still alive. we have 6 debutantes this year.most of our top wrestlers retied after the Olympics and I wasn't sure we even can win a single bronze here.

our tomorrow draw is much better but the problem is our wrestlers are much weaker tomorrow ! I don't expect a medal except for Ghaderian at 80kg maybe.

interesting point, no medal for Azerbaijan , from what I heard they are in deep financial trouble. looks like they can't even pay their coaches !

Greco-Roman Wrestling, -59Kg

Semifinals:

Kenichiro Fumita (JPN) b. Kanibek Zholchubekov (KGZ)

Mirambek Ainagulov (KAZ) b. Seung Hak Kim (KOR)

Greco-Roman Wrestling, -66Kg

Semifinals:

Han Su Ryu (KOR) b. Artem Surkov (RUS)

Mateusz Lucjan Bernatek (POL) b. Mohammad Hossein Elyasi (IRI)

Greco-Roman Wrestling, -80Kg

Semifinals:

Radzik Kuliyeu (BLR) b. Elvin Mursaliyev (AZE)

Maksim Manukyan (ARM) b. Zurabi Datunashvili (GEO)

Greco-Roman Wrestling, -130Kg

Semifinals:

Riza Kayaalp (TUR) b. Oscar Pino Hinds (CUB)

Heiki Nabi (EST) b. Yasmani Acosta Fernadez (CHI)