website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2017

Federer91

What awful job by UWW yet again.:wall: Where are the draws? Are the Worlds starting tomorrow, or on tuesday? Very limited information as always...

As for our team here, we are once again having many injured wrestlers that won't compete. Olympic medalist Elitsa Yankova, World Champion and multiple other medalist Ivo Angelov, European silver medalist from may Borislav Novachkov won't compete. We also won't have any participants in the 2 heaviest freestyle categories, because of injuries..:( I hope for 2-3 medals, but i mainly want a final. 

11 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

There is no world where wrestling would have more events than cycling or gymnastics at the Olympics that could make sense.

18 events for wrestling ,is allready too much.

18 is perfectly fine by me. I don't like the idea that they wan't to increase to 10 categories per style for the Worlds/Continental. It's getting absurd how they are stretching every damn sport. I swear, if they could, they would make 50 different competitions, with no regard to substance...

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

There is no world where wrestling would have more events than cycling or gymnastics at the Olympics that could make sense.

18 events for wrestling ,is allready too much.

Why not? we talk about the oldest sport of Olympics (from 708 BC). Wrestling was of great importance in ancient Olympics

it is actually 2 sports (Greco-roman + freestyle) so i dont find that the rule you mention must be strict for wrestling.

And from 1972-1996 it had 20 categories with only men events.

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

What awful job by UWW yet again.:wall: Where are the draws? Are the Worlds starting tomorrow, or on tuesday? Very limited information as always...

As for our team here, we are once again having many injured wrestlers that won't compete. Olympic medalist Elitsa Yankova, World Champion and multiple other medalist Ivo Angelov, European silver medalist from may Borislav Novachkov won't compete. We also won't have any participants in the 2 heaviest freestyle categories, because of injuries..:( I hope for 2-3 medals, but i mainly want a final. 

They had problems in their software because this is the first time they are using their "seeding system" lol this time they put the 2nd seed in the last spot instead of top of the bottom half.

btw where is Tarek Abdesalam ? didn't make weight or something else ?

As for the Iranian wrestlers, we will have 3 debutantes tomorrow plus Olympic bronze medalists Abdevali, I won't surprise if we finish the day empty handed but I believe all 4 of them have chance for a medal but Geraei and Salehizadeh were really unlucky with the draw, Salehi wll have to wrestle the baby giant Aleksanyan in very first round, even if he wins, there are still so many good wrestlers in his part of the draw. but Salehi himself is a tough guy, I believe he has a chance.

if I had to predict gold medalists, I would go with Chunayev (71), Kim (75), Chakvetadze (85) and Aleksanyan (98) but of course I hope for different results :d

Il y a 11 heures , George_D a déclaré:

Why not? we talk about the oldest sport of Olympics (from 708 BC). Wrestling was of great importance in ancient Olympics

it is actually 2 sports (Greco-roman + freestyle) so i dont find that the rule you mention must be strict for wrestling.

And from 1972-1996 it had 20 categories with only men events.

Come on... Wrestling (UWW wrestling I mean) has as much to do with the antique greece 'wrestling' than Soccer has to with the chinese ball game that the FIFA endorsed some years ago: pretty much nothing.

Most modern sports emerged from different folk traditional western europe games and were codified during the 19th century (mainly in England)  Wrestling is hardly any different. Many sports could claim some kind of ancestry with relative similar  looking games found in one or another antique civilization (and many do actually), it doesn't mean they are the same sports, not by a long shot.

Regarding, the number of events and considering wrestling beeing only a d tier sport, it shouldn't have too many spots. I realize that some sports are more equal than others, and some kind of compromise has to be reached to safeguard the many weight classes, disciplines, boat types, etc one sport could have.

With its compromise in mind, I'm okish with 18 events (would still prefer 15 or 16), but I'll hate seeing once again wrestling growing out of proportion with what it is (just as much as I hate seeing swimming almost reaching the number of events of athletics).

/personall and all that.

Edited by De_Gambassi

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Come on... Wrestling (UWW wrestling I mean) has as much to do with the antique greece 'wrestling' than Soccer has to with the chinese ball game that the FIFA endorsed some years ago: pretty much nothing.

and athletics and swimming with the doping cases revealed every year have nothing to do with Olympics and sports credibility