website statistics

Biathlon at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

George_D

I still truly don't understand why unused quotas will not be reallocated (unlike in 2014), that's insanely stupid...and horribly frustrating for a certain Brazilian.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:SVK has qualified 10 quotas 5 men´s and 5 women´s athletes via Nations Cup 2016/17 Final Ranking, but we already now know that we will use with all assured men´s spots only 4 women´s quotas.

After Janka Gereková suddenly retired at the end of the previous season (mainly because long-term health problems) our women´s team will be very likely composed of Anastasiya Kuzmina, sisters Paulína Fialková, Ivona Fialková and Terézia Poliaková.

The men´s quotas are more or less already guaranteed as well for Matej Kazár, Martin Otčenáš, Tomáš Hasilla, for the remaining 2 there will be likely a internal battle between Michal Šíma, Tomáš Kubaliak and junior Šimon Bartko.

See? That's already one quota not being used, why not give it to the next best non-qualified nation on the IBU points list? :smash:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

See? That's already one quota not being used, why not give it to the next best non-qualified nation on the IBU points list? :smash:

In fact teams which have qualified 5 or 6 athletes have 1 or 2 athletes just for substitute because there are no disciplines with 5 or more athletes from one country. Teams even don't have commitment to use their substitutes, so some athletes can be in the team but not to compete at the Olympics.

I think maybe the IBU don't want to have more than 90 athletes in the sprint and individual races for Olympics. If the IBU will take one quota from the country with 5 or 6 athletes  and will give it to country with less than 4 athletes - it will create one more place for start lists in these races.

8 hours ago, Dmitry said:

In fact teams which have qualified 5 or 6 athletes have 1 or 2 athletes just for substitute because there are no disciplines with 5 or more athletes from one country. Teams even don't have commitment to use their substitutes, so some athletes can be in the team but not to compete at the Olympics.

I think maybe the IBU don't want to have more than 90 athletes in the sprint and individual races for Olympics. If the IBU will take one quota from the country with 5 or 6 athletes  and will give it to country with less than 4 athletes - it will create one more place for start lists in these races.

Yes, but that's the problem: quite often countries don't use all their quota. For example a country might have qualified 5 athletes, but only send 3 or 4 to the Olympics, which would open up 1 or 2 places. For Sochi, those 'extra' places were given to countries who didn't have any quota yet, but for Pyeongchang, those quota will just disappear and the start lists will get smaller. That just makes no sense, I don't get why IBU doesn't want to keep the number of athletes at the same level (meaning you have to replace unused quota). 

Small nations in biathlon are extremely f*cked by this system: it was already incredibly hard to qualify as a small nation four years ago, now it's next to impossible unless you have one World Cup-level athlete.

• 1 month later...

Already my favourite thread of the Olympics (well, apart from 'special threads' like supporting an exotic nation of course)

And to make it quick and easy to find at the beginning of the thread, here's the competition schedule in local time, if I'm not mistaken take 7 hours off for Central European Time.

ef37978952.png

Also, I'm still furious that IBU doesn't want all quota places to be used, this is such a ridiculous change to the qualifying rules. F*ck you, IBU :redcard:

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And to make it quick and easy to find at the beginning of the thread, here's the competition schedule in local time, if I'm not mistaken take 7 hours off for Central European Time.

It´s already quick and easy to find at the beginning of the thread, all what you need is to do one small effort and click on the link in the Opening Post to find everything you need, you know :d

and it´s +8 for CET, because, you know, we change the time zone in 2 weeks

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

It´s already quick and easy to find at the beginning of the thread, all what you need is to do one small effort and click on the link in the Opening Post to find everything you need, you know :d

and it´s +8 for CET, because, you know, we change the time zone in 2 weeks

Well yeah, but I don't want to have to make extra clicks just for a quick look on the schedule, that's not useful :p 

Oh yeah, I forgot about the daylight saving time :d Oh well, I'm sure this thread will be kicked up well in time for the races :d