website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2017

George_D

vor 23 Stunden schrieb De_Gambassi:

It wont' be competitive enough until Germany wins a medal.

I noticed before that you are extremely agressive in this thread and basically never write anything sports-related, what is the reason for that? I never said anything about Germany missing out on a medal being the reason for my claims, but i am not surprised that you are desperately trying to use everything you can to troll here, that is apparently what you have become these days. The womens 4x100 m relay is probably the second least competitive relay, only ahead of the womens 4x400 m relay, whether Germany wins a medal there has nothing to do with it. In fact the level was really bad this time and 42.X would have been enough for bronze, which is very weak. I am honestly disappointed that you dont seem to be able to be objetive towards your own athletes, unlike me. You said nothing about the shocking performances of Bosse, Diniz, Robert-Michon and Bigot, which completely contradicts your normal behavior in this thread, i really thought that you were one of the very few who was able to recognize suspicious performances at first sight.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Plus of course not any post that someone considers racist is immediately a racist post that should be deleted. Especially in today's world you've got to be careful just deleting everything that makes someone uncomfortable (since there's a huge amount of 'everything is racist'-feel on internet). I'm guessing this could be about Semenya: calling her a man is not racist, for example :p It's factually incorrect and (unlike saying there's a very complicated situation) it's incredibly unfair to her, but it's not racist :d (don't know if that's what was meant, but I'm just pointing it out since I've seen a lot of people on other places on the internet pull the racist card whenever some idiot says Semenya is a man)

The main problem to me was when people misgender women just because they feel like it. Someone (I guess it was a Polish user) even said the athlete from his country was the third among women. Bullshit. She was sixth among all women, like it or not. Five other women -- again: WOMEN -- be it African or not, were faster than the Polish girl. Also, I remember someone writing that it is hard to differentiate Kenyan women because they have the same haircut. It might have been you who wrote this, I'm not sure. Not all African women look the same. This might not have been intended as racist, but as I said, it MIGHT come off as racist. It's not that it will, but it might.

Golden rule: if a person might be offended by something you say or write, there is a huge, huge chance you are being rude. And no amount of "people are overreacting" will ever change that. And if you think that there is a "huge amount of 'everything is racist'-feel on the internet", I believe you must be a white person living in a country where being white is a privilege, or, at least, where you are not questioned for being white, or do not feel like your life is severely limited by it. Why is it so hard for white people to just keep their mouths shut (or their fingers still) when no one asked their opinions about other people's ethnicity or color of skin or whatever? 

Edited by thiago_simoes
Typo

My comment about Semenya honestly stems from my frustration that she usually ends up beating out a Canadian (Bishop). Like it or not, she has incredibly high levels of testosterone, and it is incredibly unfair to have her race against other women. The being said, it would be equally as unfair for her to have her race men. She does of course identify as a woman, but her genetic makeup makes her far more physically developed than those women she's competing against. I respect her courageousness, but her victories are a little tainted in my eyes. 

1 hora atrás, ofan disse:

My comment about Semenya honestly stems from my frustration that she usually ends up beating out a Canadian (Bishop). Like it or not, she has incredibly high levels of testosterone, and it is incredibly unfair to have her race against other women. The being said, it would be equally as unfair for her to have her race men. She does of course identify as a woman, but her genetic makeup makes her far more physically developed than those women she's competing against. I respect her courageousness, but her victories are a little tainted in my eyes. 

To me it sounds like, by this logic, it would be fair for a Japanese person to say "I am frustrated because Usain Bolt is 1.95 m tall while the average Japanese man is 1.70 m tall and Bolt always ends up finishing ahead of a Japanese person". People are different and no two bodies are the same. Some people will be genetically more able to perform well than other people. The problem with Semenya is that people are hostile towards her simply because she was born the way she is. As far as I know, no scientific paper has ever proved that her condition gives any kind of advantage to her (I'm open to being proven wrong). 

Please read

I don't know if this is needed right now or if this has been said before, but:

I'm not someone who has read too much of this thread and I haven't seen what people were saying when Semenya was racing, but recently I was thinking about a solution to the problem with transgender women in sport, especially after watching BBC coverage where Paula Radcliffe, Michael Johnson and Denise Lewis were all agreeing that there is no solution at all to the problem.

I think I've thought of a solution

I don't know if it's good or not. But it's a solution

In the future, transgender people are going to become more common, and 'gender fluidity' and related things will become more widespread

This could become an issue in athletics as not just the Women's 800m, but other events, have women who are transgender potentially 'taking over' their discipline

My solution (which could work in a world where transgender people exist in some numbers) would be to have 3 Gender Categories

This might sound weird. Let me explain:

1: Men (XY and XX chromosome, although transgender men are unlikely to be as physically competitive as born male (XX) men)

2: Women (ONLY XX BORN WOMEN)

3: Transgender Women (Women born XY e.g. Semenya)

With this solution, XX women (women born female) will be able to compete for gold, and so will transgender women.

Some problems and solutions:

1. If you were Caster Semenya and you were told you couldn't compete in the women's 800m, it might not come across very well if you get what I mean. But I don't think this is much of a problem, there is now a gender category that is more specific to her than before

2. There aren't that many transgender women (yet) that are competitive at the highest levels of their discipline. I was aware of at least 4 transgender women in this year's 800m (the 4th person is a Ugandan person who reached semis), but the medals could pretty much be determined even before the race has begun (Semenya, Niyonsaba, Wambui) so the achievement of being world championship medallist is less

3. In other events, I don't know any transgender athletes (apart from Dutee Chand, the Indian sprinter) but this could be solved by only having 2 gender categories in other events (only 3 where necessary)

As transgender female athletes who are the best in their discipline begin to appear, very slowly, timing this solution change would be difficult

Thanks for reading, this is my solution, sorry if someone already thought of it (I don't know), and please tell me if it's good or if it's bad :)

EDIT: Response suggests this is the worstest idea of ever (oops) :)

Edited by Melonade

18 hours ago, NikolaB said:

For example, Opening ceremony for London Olympics I saw like parade of British nathionalism and everything there was like how big UK is in every segment of life. It was just too much, at last it was too much for me. 

I haven't really seen anything different in other opening ceremonies, they're usually one big parade of showing how ultra glorious the organizing nation is in every possible aspect.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Dear Lord, just when I think people will finally get it, things get worse.

Transgender people are not an aberration so that they need their own category. They have to completely "reprogram" their bodies through hormone treatment. I know a transgender woman who said the hormones "ate" her muscles and she feels like her body is much weaker now. It's not like at the Olympics an 100+ kg weightlifter could ever put on a wig and compete among women because he thinks this will be okay. 

Besides, hyperandrogenism is a condition that still needs to be studied deeply. Not even scientists know for sure the effects of this condition for the sport, but this still doesn't stop people like Jozwik and Sharp to be stupid and harmful in interviews speaking about what they know nothing of. Take Dutee Chand for example. If high testosterone levels had been enough, she would have been among the best in the world by now.