website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2017

George_D

I think people who blame london with organization , after watching empty seats with the same organizing problems in next edition in Doha are going to say , oh this was the best edition we've ever seen :d

Edited by thepharoah

8 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

I think people who blame london with organization , after watching empty seats with the same organizing problems in next edition in Doha are going to say , oh this was the best edition we've ever seen :d

In terms of attendance it was amazing, and of course much better than the last big Athletics competition (Rio). But I can't help but wonder if people would be so forgiving if the problems with the organization (mostly about the schedule, I think?) and the norovirus thing happened last year.

6 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

In terms of attendance it was amazing, and of course much better than the last big Athletics competition (Rio). But I can't help but wonder if people would be so forgiving if the problems with the organization (mostly about the schedule, I think?) and the norovirus thing happened last year.

Of course not. :p 

32 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

The attendance was the main thing keeping the overal feel of the championships slightly positive :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

But just as a reminder to every user, you can (and should) report posts if you find them racist. 

Also (I am not talking to you but in general) we should differentiate between racist comments

Plus of course not any post that someone considers racist is immediately a racist post that should be deleted. Especially in today's world you've got to be careful just deleting everything that makes someone uncomfortable (since there's a huge amount of 'everything is racist'-feel on internet). I'm guessing this could be about Semenya: calling her a man is not racist, for example :p It's factually incorrect and (unlike saying there's a very complicated situation) it's incredibly unfair to her, but it's not racist :d (don't know if that's what was meant, but I'm just pointing it out since I've seen a lot of people on other places on the internet pull the racist card whenever some idiot says Semenya is a man)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Plus of course not any post that someone considers racist is immediately a racist post that should be deleted. Especially in today's world you've got to be careful just deleting everything that makes someone uncomfortable (since there's a huge amount of 'everything is racist'-feel on internet). I'm guessing this could be about Semenya: calling her a man is not racist, for example :p It's factually incorrect and (unlike saying there's a very complicated situation) it's incredibly unfair to her, but it's not racist :d (don't know if that's what was meant, but I'm just pointing it out since I've seen a lot of people on other places on the internet pull the racist card whenever some idiot says Semenya is a man)

I don't see many racist posts here (although sometimes they do happen), but I'm positive @thiago_simoes know how to differentiate such things, especially since was him that also pointed out the problem with sexist and LGBT-phobic posts - which are just as bad. The fact that some people only took the "racist" part of his comment it's telling.

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Not sure about that, London Olympics seemed to be rather good and pretty well organized (at least compared to other Olympics). 

For example, Opening ceremony for London Olympics I saw like parade of British nathionalism and everything there was like how big UK is in every segment of life. It was just too much, at last it was too much for me. 

vor 23 Stunden schrieb George_D:

because of USA domination?

GB and the US won medals in all relays, so 8 out of 12 medals went to only 2 nations, not much diversity ...

I Jamaica wouldnt have had so much bad luck, they probably would have won 3 of the remaining 4 medals ...

In womens 4x100 m relay there were 5 nations at best that could win a medal (USA, Jamaica, GB, Germany, TTO), but the US was lightyears ahead. In womens 4x400 m relay they were actually only 3 nations that had a chance to medal (USA, GB, Jamaica), but thanks to an injury Poland won a medal there. In both mens relays the diversity is much bigger, although in both relays they were only 2 or 3 relays that had a realistic chance to win.

It is not just the domianance of the US (especially on the womens side), but the fact that, if it wasnt for injuries, 11 out of 12 medals would have gone to just 3 nations and in addition to that the level on the womens side is just atrocious.

In addition to that the medallists dont change much over time, USA, GB and Jamaic have been dominant for a very long time and they basically are always almost a lock for multiple medals in relays. It is just much less likely that a small nation has 4 very good athletes than a small nation having one extraordinary athlete who can win a medal, so there always will be less diversity in relays.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.