website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2017

George_D

Mixed feelings about these championships: organization/coverage was really not as good as one should expect from world championships and a lot of finals were of a rather mediocre level (like the men's high jump) and whenever there was a field event of a great level (women's discus) it was barely shown. Men's pole vault was apparently rather good, but despite my TV definitely being turned on, I barely saw any of the action (or only minutes later, when it was already decided).

There were some good things though and luckily it ended with small Trinidad & Tobago beating nearly unbeatable USA in the men's 4x400, that definitely made up for some disappointments :)

The Ethiopians finally beating Farah was absolutely one of the highlights as well, and I'm glad that even though the times weren't fast, both 100m and 200m races, men and women, turned out to be rather close. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, NikolaB said:

And usuallu Brits are traditionaly bad hosts

Not sure about that, London Olympics seemed to be rather good and pretty well organized (at least compared to other Olympics). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minutes ago, dareza said:

Well, Im not satisfied with this championship at all. WC in swimming were way better and more interesting. USA dominated both events, but Im more for swimming :d

Good thing about swimming is that you see everything (every heat, every final). Good thing about athletics is that it's infinitely more diverse (whereas in swimming you see the same athletes over and over and over and over again, I already have no idea who won which event :p )

11 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I don't really follow athletics, but as a reminder to myself in case I decide to follow it someday, I should never come close to some people discussing the results here.

I've seen some sexist, LGBT-phobic, and apparently racist comments, and I'm surprised some of you just let that slip as if it's nothing. It's one thing when you are not a huge fan of such and such athlete. It's a different thing altogether when you purposely misgender people or when your remarks about someone might come off as racist. 

Indeed. Comments like this have become quite common on Totallympics. In the past month we had a huge amount of misogynist and transphobic comments here.

It's still better than some other sports forums/groups around the web, but I fully agree we shouldn't ignore things like these.

12 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I don't really follow athletics, but as a reminder to myself in case I decide to follow it someday, I should never come close to some people discussing the results here.

I've seen some sexist, LGBT-phobic, and apparently racist comments, and I'm surprised some of you just let that slip as if it's nothing. It's one thing when you are not a huge fan of such and such athlete. It's a different thing altogether when you purposely misgender people or when your remarks about someone might come off as racist. 

We will try to work on that on the future and I agree with you something has to be improved under this point of view. But just as a reminder to every user, you can (and should) report posts if you find them racist. Even when we will have a better organized moderation team, moderators are not reading the threads 24 hours, and when you make a report a notifications will arrive to moderators and the post can be checked more quickly. I have received 3-4 reports during the World Championships and all of them have been dealt pretty quickly.

Also (I am not talking to you but in general) we should differentiate between racist comments and comments made by users we can not stand. For the latest ones, you should all use the "Ignore" feature this forum allows everyone to use (apart from me, even though I would love to be able to use that function too :d )

you guys  saw  mightmares ,i didn't see any racist comments  mostly was teases

just some people are not open minded they feel it as hate

also do not forget that there is no discuss/chat without disagrees and then the forum could die

Edited by bestmen