Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Pavlo

Which are the 3 Best and Worst Olympic Moments of your Nation?

heywoodu    960

Best:

1. Gerard van Velde winning 1000m gold at the 2002 Olympics, until then he was usually the 'eternal 4th/5th/6th place finisher' but in Salt Lake everything came out and he destroyed the WR, 1:07.18 is still a magic number in Dutch sports and I still have the words of the commentator in my mind forever :d ("And please let nobody touch this time, let noboby touch this time!") - Video

2. Maarten van der Weijden surviving cancer, then coming back to become the first Olympic champion in open water swimming in 2008. The nice touch was that the co-commentator was multiple Olympic gold medalist Pieter van den Hoogenband (who had finished his Olympic career by finishing 5th in his 4th consecutive 100m freestyle final a week earlier), also a good friend of vdWeijden, who went utterly crazy when it was becoming clear vdWeijden was going to win the gold (after which vdHoogenband ran down from the commentator position to welcome vdWeijden) :d - Video (around 2:40 is when vdHoogenband goes all 'oooh yeah, he's in a great position!')

3. Epke Zonderland winning the horizontal bar gold medal at the 2012 Olympics, the first individual Dutch gymnastics medal ever and the first medal since the 1928 gold for the women's team. What made it even better was the commentator (Hans van Zetten, with his Dutch flag bow tie :d ), one of the most enthousiastic and best Dutch sports commentators ever, for who it was just as cool that he could finally comment on a Dutch gold medal. His words at the end ("he's standing! And everyone...and I'm standing as well! I'm going crazy!") have become rather famous here :p - Video

As for the worst, I'll have to search and think :p 

• Like 1

George_D    41

Best:

1. Voula Patoulidous's gold in 100m hurdles ahead of far more better athletes in barcelona 1992
2. Niki Bakogianni's silver medal in high jump in Atlanta 1996, second to great Konstantinova
3. Pyrros Dimas 3rd gold in Olympics in Wheightlifting in Sydney 2000

Worst:

1. Men's Basketball team in 1996
2. Nikolaidis injury in men's TKD in 2000
3, Men's Volleyball team in 2004

intoronto    136
17 minutes ago, George_D said:

Best:

1. Voula Patoulidous's gold in 100m hurdles ahead of far more better athletes in barcelona 1992
2. Niki Bakogianni's silver medal in high jump in Atlanta 1996, second to great Konstantinova
3. Pyrros Dimas 3rd gold in Olympics in Wheightlifting in Sydney 2000

Worst:

1. Men's Basketball team in 1996
2. Nikolaidis injury in men's TKD in 2000
3, Men's Volleyball team in 2004

The shock diving gold in 2004 and Ilias Iliadis winning gold in 2004 are my top moments.

• Like 1

George_D    41
2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The shock diving gold in 2004 and Ilias Iliadis winning gold in 2004 are my top moments.

correct!! but i should choose only 3 from the best. The diving gold was unexpected since both favorites chinese and russians failed in their last attempts

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this