website statistics

Speed Skating 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

George_D

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

12:43.04 for Ted-Jan Bloemen in Calgary yesterday, the 4th fastest 10k ever. Now it's time to see how he'll turn up in Pyeongchang, since nearly all of his fantastic races have been at altitude, whereas especially Kramer has shown to have that kind of level at low altitude (like the Olympic oval in Korea). 

If the Olympics where in Salt Lake City or Calgary I think Bloemen wins two gold medals. But as you said, he has never had super impressive performances at sea level.

Just now, Nate River said:

If the Olympics where in Salt Lake City or Calgary I think Bloemen wins two gold medals. But as you said, he has never had super impressive performances at sea level.

Exactly. The positive thing is he seems to have made some real steps again this season, so who knows. I honestly don't really care which non-Bergsma wins, as long as it's a great fight :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Exactly. The positive thing is he seems to have made some real steps again this season, so who knows. I honestly don't really care which non-Bergsma wins, as long as it's a great fight :p 

Does your dislike of Bergsma extend to Heather? xD

33 minutes ago, Nate River said:

Does your dislike of Bergsma extend to Heather? xD

I haven't seen a lot of interviews with her, so I don't really know, although her style is......let's just say, not something I'd be a fan of, arms waving around everywhere :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

30 minutes ago, dcro said:

Says the fan of Kramer's robotic technique...

I'm a fan of Kramer's technique? :p 

I'm a fan of Yuskov's technique :d 

Even more so, I was such a fan of Oystein Grodum's technique/arm in the turns :bowdown:

Edited by heywoodu

Will Dunton, who finished second at trials in the 500m but was not selected, is challenging Speed Skating Canada selection criteria in court. He was left off the team because he was 18th on the special Olympic time ranking and could not beat the 16th time at trials. He argues that since two of the athletes agead of him are Russians with past dopping violations, who are presumably not eligible for the Olympics, he should actually be considered as being 16th in the time ranking, and thus eligible.

If he wins it would probably mean I’m not quite sure how it would mess up with the selection matrix, but since Camada already has 10 male skaters and 3 in the men’s 500m someone would be left home.

• 2 weeks later...

Japanse sprinter Miyako Sumiyoshi has been found dead in her home last weekend, 30 years old.

http://frontpage.fok.nl/nieuws/785930/1/1/50/schaatster-sumiyoshi-30-dood-gevonden.html

Between 2012 and 2015 she was one of the world's top 15 sprinters, usually ending up around 10th-15th, including at the Olympics (14th at the 500m, 22nd at the 1000m).

• 3 months later...

Wouter Olde Heuvel, double team pursuit world champion and top-5 allround skater, has been hit by a brain haemorrhage during a bike ride. It's unsure what his condition is at the moment..