Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
George_D

Speed Skating 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

intoronto    295

Following nations would qualify (29 in total!):

:AUS 

:AUT

:BLR

:BEL 

:CAN

:CHN 

:COL 

:CZE

:DEN 

:EST 

:FIN 

:FRA 

:GER

:GBR 

:HUN 

:ITA 

:JPN

:KAZ 

:LAT 

:NED 

:NZL 

:NOR

:POL 

:RUS 

:KOR

:SWE 

:SUI 

:TPE 

:USA 

dcro    1,986

Estonia, Great Britain and Hungary though are literally holding the last available quotas in their disciplines. It will be hard to keep those.

Nate River    117

Stock reminder that the current time rankings are going to be completly irelevent after the Calgary amd Salt Lake City world cups (except for the 5000m/10000m since the time ranking is based on only one world cup race).

intoronto    295

@LDOG @konig

Victoria Rodriguez broke Argentina's NR in the 500m (39.80), that time would put her as reserve 3 for Olympic qualification, but she needs to get that time at one of the two world cups. The current cut of right now is 39.53.

• Like 1

dcro    1,986
2 hours ago, intoronto said:

@LDOG @konig

Victoria Rodriguez broke Argentina's NR in the 500m (39.80), that time would put her as reserve 3 for Olympic qualification, but she needs to get that time at one of the two world cups. The current cut of right now is 39.53.

I imagine she might have set that in Salt Lake or Calgary? If so, then she might struggle to make it as those who were in Europe will become faster.

However, I think there might be several reallocations in women's 500m, with Netherlands, Germany and Norway in particular being the candidates for declining the quotas.

Edited by dcro

Nate River    117
1 hour ago, dcro said:

I imagine she might have set that Salt Lake or Calgary? If so, then she might struggle to make it as those who were in Europe will become faster.

However, I think there might be several reallocations in women's 500m, with Netherlands, Germany and Norway in particular being the candidates for declining the quotas.

The only two remaining competitions for the time ranking are Salt Lake City and Calgary. In practice almost all the qualifying times will come from those two world cups, except in the women's 5k / men's 10k.

konig    297
4 hours ago, intoronto said:

@LDOG @konig

Thanks, i know the situation of her (i made an interview for my site in facebook), the only problem is economical: like she comes from the roller skating, she has suport of the goverment while she continue in that sport, like she change........this is in doubt, it will be a fantastic thing to have somebody qualify in this sport, unknow for most of the argentinians.

Her twitter, she made it in the last chance https://twitter.com/vicoonn

Edited by konig

intoronto    295
1 hour ago, konig said:

Thanks, i know the situation of her (i made an interview for my site in facebook), the only problem is economical: like she comes from the speed skating, she has suport of the goverment while she continue in that sport, like she change........this is in doubt, it will be a fantastic thing to have somebody qualify in this sport, unknow for most of the argentinians.

Her twitter, she made it in the last chance https://twitter.com/vicoonn

Good luck to her!

Looks like South American nations are moving their roller sports athletes to speed skating. Colombia, Chile and now Argentina. I know there are a couple Brazilians as well but not sure if they are from a roller speed skating bg. 

Edited by intoronto
  • Like 2

heywoodu    2,239
6 hours ago, intoronto said:

Good luck to her!

Looks like South American nations are moving their roller sports athletes to speed skating. Colombia, Chile and now Argentina. I know there are a couple Brazilians as well but not sure if they are from a roller speed skating bg. 

I know one definitely is and one definitely is not (he grew up in Germany if I'm not mistaken). 

Nate River    117
14 hours ago, intoronto said:

Good luck to her!

The US and New Zealand have shown that transitioning inline speed skaters to long track a very viable model so I'm pretty optimistic that Colombia could be quite good at speed skating in a couple years. Not sure how the training conditions are in Colombia, though, would help a lot if they had an oval.

Dragon    176

Apparently there's a skater from Ireland competing in the Junior World Cup this weekend