website statistics

Speed Skating 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

George_D

Today's live stream btw, men's 5k now and later we have the women's 1500m and men's 500m.

https://nos.nl/livestream/2199480-kpn-nk-afstanden-5-000-meter-m.html

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, phelps said:

:yes:lol:

p.s. thanks for the streaming link (even if today I don't have so much time to follow all the action carefully)...;)

If you do have time to check the results now and then (or the interest in doing so :d ), they're between pages 850-856:

https://nos.nl/teletekst#856

856 is the one that has the live results of the distance that's going on at that time :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

If you do have time to check the results now and then (or the interest in doing so :d ), they're between pages 850-856:

https://nos.nl/teletekst#856

856 is the one that has the live results of the distance that's going on at that time :p 

yeah, I know NOS Teletext has always all results...;)

I was used to take advantage of that when I was able to see (don't ask me how :whistle::lol:) the main Dutch TV channels on the satellite (I'm talking of the 2004-2007 period, the golden age of sat tv emulators, when almost all european networks were up for grabs for tv "pirates")...:lol:

Fast times considering it's on low altitude and with high air pressure.

b620483b74.png

Disappointing for M Mulder, who apparently had some issues with one of his skates. 

Also, Ter Mors :yikes:

1164001904.png

Today's live stream:

https://nos.nl/livestream/2199481-studio-sport-met-kpn-nk-afstanden.html

We've got the men's and women's 1000m, the women's 5000m and the men's 10k :cheer:

The season's barely underway and we've got ourselves the first fight of the season in Dutch speedskating :d :cheer:

It's about the mass start, where the plan was rather clear: Jorrit Bergsma and Arjan Stroetinga would be the two skaters in the Olympic mass start. They're team mates (with trainer Jillert Anema, guy who became 'famous' with an interview on American TV), Bergsma is the guy for the early attack or to keep the pace high for Stroetinga to finish it in the sprint, all fine.

However, at the Dutch champs it was Koen Verweij who beat Stroetinga in the sprint, raising all kinds of questions. Verweij has nothing to do with Anema's team and would like to ride the mass start with former team mate Sven Kramer, who still have a good connection (judging by Kramer's "If Koen needs me, I'll be there").

The national team coach of course has to make the decisions, but that's going to be tough, because choosing one rider from one team and one from another team doesn't seem like the best idea ever. In fact, Anema has pretty much literally said that if for example Bergsma and Verweij were to team up, there's no way Bergsma would do any work to help Verweij.

It all started in the 2014 Olympics, where Bergsma wasn't selected in the first round of the team pursuit. That hurt his little girl's heart, so he refused to be the reserve for the rest of the tournament, which got Kramer, Verweij etc rather angry. That has not healed :p 

https://www.ad.nl/schaatsen/verweij-haalt-oude-schaatswond-open-op-massastart~ae08d399/

Live stream of race 3 of the Dutch Marathon Cup, for those interested. 30 of 125 laps to go, so if you want to see how a mass start should actually be instead of that children's race they call mass start in the World Cup and Olympics, watch :p

13 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Live stream of race 3 of the Dutch Marathon Cup, for those interested. 30 of 125 laps to go, so if you want to see how a mass start should actually be instead of that children's race they call mass start in the World Cup and Olympics, watch :p

very nice...

and I agree at 100% with you about the WC Mass Start races...they're just too short and a real mess...and that's unacceptable for me...

I saw the last 6/7 laps of both women's and men's races...and it was fun...

but, despite not knowing how they normally manage this kind of things, in the girls' event, I have to say that imho Schouten should have been punished somehow for that entry against Lollobrigida during their fight before the final curve...

c'mon! I'm not against some kind of physicality, but she pushed the Italian away with her hands, it wasn't just a shoulder-to-shoulder battle for the inside position...:evil::facepalm:

for sure, under ISU rules, she wouldn't have got the win...

34 minutes ago, phelps said:

very nice...

and I agree at 100% with you about the WC Mass Start races...they're just too short and a real mess...and that's unacceptable for me...

I saw the last 6/7 laps of both women's and men's races...and it was fun...

but, despite not knowing how they normally manage this kind of things, in the girls' event, I have to say that imho Schouten should have been punished somehow for that entry against Lollobrigida during their fight before the final curve...

c'mon! I'm not against some kind of physicality, but she pushed the Italian away with her hands, it wasn't just a shoulder-to-shoulder battle for the inside position...:evil::facepalm:

for sure, under ISU rules, she wouldn't have got the win...

Which is why ISU rules suck, because that was nothing out of the ordinary at all :d 

Lollobrigida tried to take her place in an all-or-nothing move, Schouten didn't let her do that, simple as that, it's part of mass start skating. If you're a skater who can't handle that, go do the single distances :p