website statistics

Speed Skating 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

George_D

@LDOG @konig

Victoria Rodriguez broke Argentina's NR in the 500m (39.80), that time would put her as reserve 3 for Olympic qualification, but she needs to get that time at one of the two world cups. The current cut of right now is 39.53.

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

@LDOG @konig

Victoria Rodriguez broke Argentina's NR in the 500m (39.80), that time would put her as reserve 3 for Olympic qualification, but she needs to get that time at one of the two world cups. The current cut of right now is 39.53.

I imagine she might have set that in Salt Lake or Calgary? If so, then she might struggle to make it as those who were in Europe will become faster.

However, I think there might be several reallocations in women's 500m, with Netherlands, Germany and Norway in particular being the candidates for declining the quotas.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

I imagine she might have set that Salt Lake or Calgary? If so, then she might struggle to make it as those who were in Europe will become faster.

However, I think there might be several reallocations in women's 500m, with Netherlands, Germany and Norway in particular being the candidates for declining the quotas.

The only two remaining competitions for the time ranking are Salt Lake City and Calgary. In practice almost all the qualifying times will come from those two world cups, except in the women's 5k / men's 10k.

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

@LDOG @konig

Thanks, i know the situation of her (i made an interview for my site in facebook), the only problem is economical: like she comes from the roller skating, she has suport of the goverment while she continue in that sport, like she change........this is in doubt, it will be a fantastic thing to have somebody qualify in this sport, unknow for most of the argentinians.

Her twitter, she made it in the last chance https://twitter.com/vicoonn

Edited by konig

1 hour ago, konig said:

Thanks, i know the situation of her (i made an interview for my site in facebook), the only problem is economical: like she comes from the speed skating, she has suport of the goverment while she continue in that sport, like she change........this is in doubt, it will be a fantastic thing to have somebody qualify in this sport, unknow for most of the argentinians.

Her twitter, she made it in the last chance https://twitter.com/vicoonn

Good luck to her!

Looks like South American nations are moving their roller sports athletes to speed skating. Colombia, Chile and now Argentina. I know there are a couple Brazilians as well but not sure if they are from a roller speed skating bg. 

Edited by intoronto

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

Good luck to her!

Looks like South American nations are moving their roller sports athletes to speed skating. Colombia, Chile and now Argentina. I know there are a couple Brazilians as well but not sure if they are from a roller speed skating bg. 

I know one definitely is and one definitely is not (he grew up in Germany if I'm not mistaken). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 hours ago, intoronto said:

Good luck to her!

The US and New Zealand have shown that transitioning inline speed skaters to long track a very viable model so I'm pretty optimistic that Colombia could be quite good at speed skating in a couple years. Not sure how the training conditions are in Colombia, though, would help a lot if they had an oval.

1 hour ago, Nate River said:

The US and New Zealand have shown that transitioning inline speed skaters to long track a very viable model so I'm pretty optimistic that Colombia could be quite good at speed skating in a couple years. Not sure how the training conditions are in Colombia, though, would help a lot if they had an oval.

It doesn't matter that much for the summer, when inline skating and cycling is a big deal anyway, and in the winter they can for now apparently finance quite some time in Europe and North America :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...