website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2017

dareza

vor 25 Minuten schrieb dareza:

This was really strange day.

No medals for Marton and Egorian. No medal for France in men's epee. Medal for Tunisia in women's sabre. Medal for anon guy from Germany. Really funny.

"Anon guy" what does that mean? No-name guy? :d (In that case i would agree, never heard of him before, probably a huge fluke, but i shouldnt complain ...)

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think Pizzo won against Lucenay ... so italian fans can stop whining ... :p

Apparently Richard Schmidt, 135th in the world ranking, won his quarterfinal and secured a medal ... ? :yikes:

I never heard of him before and the fact that he wins a medal says a lot about german fencing and mens epee in general, extremely unpredictable.

Over the last few years i also noticed that most medals winners in (mens) epee are really old, much older than in the other disciplines.

still, today it's 3-1 France the summary of our "classic" derby...

but you're right...in the end we have a medal (and with a bit of luck it can be Gold) and they don't...so, I stop whining about men's epee...

but I can't let things go on women's sabre...if Gregorio was irritating against Kharlan (who remains a lot stronger than her), what can I say about Vecchi?

she's been the luckiest girl in Leipzig today, she got a place in the semis that didn't deserve at all, she's up against a girl who's not even close to her skills, she's 14-10 ahead...

and what does she do? she loses her nerves, stops doing what she needs to do and let the Tunesian comeback from hell...

c'mon, man! she must go to work in the mine!!!

really shameful performance...and no excuses...:facepalm::wall:

by the way, Kharlan has just won her 3rd world title without even a sweat drop...

for what concerns epee, instead, it's quite normal to have veterans and experienced guys among the best because it's the less athletic and most tactical weapon...more than great fitness and strenght, in epee you need patience, experience, ability to keep yourself calm (most bouts go to the last hit...if you let yourself get annoyed by nerves, you don't have chances in cases like those ones), which are features you can find more among elder people rather than youngsters...

Edited by phelps

Paolo Pizzoooooo!!!

wow! 2nd World title for him...and this time it's really a great surprise (even if he already showed a good shape at the Europeans last month when he won the silver medal...but, you know, the europeans are surely not comparable to the worlds)...

he tried to lose a won match, but this time he couldn't...a finally we got our first gold of this year's worlds...

and this compensate the shameful end of Vecchi's bout (and the the disapponiting day of all the other Italian fencers)...

I think we all hope that Vivien Varnai will win gold in womens epee, if not her then hopefully Lauren Rembi. Of course its more likely that the final will be Sun/Fiamingo vs. Szasz/Russian girl.

Dont care about mens foil, i guess the US finally deserves a gold, but who knows ... maybe Safin gets it.

Edit: Dreadful results for french men today:

Cadot lost 2:15 against Imboden and even worse, Le Pechoux (world number 10) lost 1:15 against Matsuyama (world number 35). :mumble:

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.