Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
crovitlaci

Alpine Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

hckosice    1,889

Veronika Velez-Zuzulová started to train on snow last week after almost two months focusing on physical trainings in gym, finally received approvement from her doc to start skiing. Still don´t know when she will enter the competitions, but she said she is doing everything to be ready on that 2018 St. Valentines Day

From yesterdays training in Courchevel

image.png

Quasit    188
6 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Veronika Velez-Zuzulová started to train on snow last week after almost two months focusing on physical trainings in gym, finally received approvement from her doc to start skiing. Still don´t know when she will enter the competitions, but she said she is doing everything to be ready on that 2018 St. Valentines Day

From yesterdays training in Courchevel

Nice pattern. :d

intoronto    481

Got it from a source that alpine combined is going to be dropped from the Olympics. I would assume the FIS will want to replace it, perhaps with a parallel event?

heywoodu    3,420
47 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Got it from a source that alpine combined is going to be dropped from the Olympics. I would assume the FIS will want to replace it, perhaps with a parallel event?

That would be horrible. Which means it could be true... 

• Like 1

dcro    2,874

I swear IOC is trying so hard to make Olympics look bad.

And succeeding (at least for me)...

• Like 1

intoronto    481
5 minutes ago, dcro said:

I swear IOC is trying so hard to make Olympics look bad.

And succeeding (at least for me)...

I think its actually the FIS.

Also earlier it was reported that the FIS wanted a 2 run downhill.

Which means the Super G will be under threat too (if the FIS makes this a 2 run event as well).

THis is being done to "increase television viewers"

It also increases the ability for places without high enough mountains to host too... which is a problem for the IOC right now.

heywoodu    3,420
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I think its actually the FIS.

Also earlier it was reported that the FIS wanted a 2 run downhill.

Which means the Super G will be under threat too (if the FIS makes this a 2 run event as well).

THis is being done to "increase television viewers"

It also increases the ability for places without high enough mountains to host too... which is a problem for the IOC right now.

A two run downhill, for fuck's sake people :facepalm:

Did you hear this personally btw, or is there some link where I can read this so I can use it as a source on a Dutch page? :p 

intoronto    481
Just now, heywoodu said:

A two run downhill, for fuck's sake people :facepalm:

Did you hear this personally btw, or is there some link where I can read this so I can use it as a source on a Dutch page? :p 

The combined one is personally and the downhill I remember reading here somewhere,.. it wasn't posted by me.

• Like 1

heywoodu    3,420
59 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The combined one is personally and the downhill I remember reading here somewhere,.. it wasn't posted by me.

Thanks. I kinda hope there will never be a link to post here about it... 

Dunadan    188

I believe it's almost certain that the alpine combined will be replaced by a parallel event. This is from last May and you can read the draft calendar for 2020-21 (PDF), updated in October.

A women's 2 run downhill is already scheduled in February 2018, and more are supposed to be held in 2020-21 according to that draft.

heywoodu    3,420
11 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I believe it's almost certain that the alpine combined will be replaced by a parallel event. This is from last May and you can read the draft calendar for 2020-21 (PDF), updated in October.

A women's 2 run downhill is already scheduled in February 2018, and more are supposed to be held in 2020-21 according to that draft.

That is so sad. After speed skating, the next winter sport is slowly being torn down. And biathlon is up next, considering there's another new 'SuperSprint' event later this season. 

• Like 1