Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
dcro

Cross-Country Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

heywoodu    945
54 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

The rules say that any NOC with an athlete in the top 300 ranked list can enter an additional athlete. Jacqueline Mourao is 400, 10 FIS points behind 300. Doable? Does that mean if she makes it Bruna could get in?

Only if she has less than 100 FIS points herself, if I finally understand @dcro correctly :p 

Which is not entirely impossible, but looking at the races she'll compete next season...pretty much unrealistic.

dcro    771
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Only if she has less than 100 FIS points herself, if I finally understand @dcro correctly :p 

Which is not entirely impossible, but looking at the races she'll compete next season...pretty much unrealistic.

Both of them under 100 FIS points, actually.

heywoodu    945
20 minutes ago, dcro said:

Both of them under 100 FIS points, actually.

That's what I meant :d

Finally, I understand the rules!

intoronto    136
5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

That's what I meant :d

Finally, I understand the rules!

2014 did not have this rule. Armenia had two male skiers and I am sure one didn't get below 100 points.

heywoodu    945
14 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Ah. That won't happen then.

Meaning the most realistic way for Bruna is by beating Mourão in the rankings. Not entirely impossible, but given Mourão's chances in competitions to score good points (especially North America, where she lives), that's going to be insanely tough. The FIS points system really is a shame, it says nothing about skiers qualities, since Bruna has already shown to be seriously close to Mourão by now and I honestly think in a straight up fight she could beat her (like the 5k free tomorrow in Termas de Chillan, but sadly Mourão is already on her way back to Canada so won't compete there).

ahjfcshfghb    52
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Meaning the most realistic way for Bruna is by beating Mourão in the rankings. Not entirely impossible, but given Mourão's chances in competitions to score good points (especially North America, where she lives), that's going to be insanely tough. The FIS points system really is a shame, it says nothing about skiers qualities, since Bruna has already shown to be seriously close to Mourão by now and I honestly think in a straight up fight she could beat her (like the 5k free tomorrow in Termas de Chillan, but sadly Mourão is already on her way back to Canada so won't compete there).

Yeah.. quite a shame really. But she'll have plenty of time in the future to improve.

I'm just a bit puzzled as in the CC rules it only says if one athlete is in the top 300 the country gets an additional quota. The 100 point limit only seems mentioned regarding the events not the 10/15k and the sprint. Or did I understand it wrong?

dcro    771
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

2014 did not have this rule. Armenia had two male skiers and I am sure one didn't get below 100 points.

Both of them were under 100 points in fact.

prso1000    12

I still don't understand the system. For example according to the current simulation list Croatia has 1 male and two female quotas! But why, I would say it should be two in both? 

dcro    771
7 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I still don't understand the system. For example according to the current simulation list Croatia has 1 male and two female quotas! But why, I would say it should be two in both? 

Pretty sure it should be one in both. :p Hope they don't see a potential mistake. :d

Krešimir Crnković still doesn't have A standard (111 FIS points as of now). Dadić's top 300 would mean something only if we had another athlete with A standard. No idea why FIS is giving us 2 women's quotas, it's clear that there should be only one, as we only have one athlete with A standard.

dcro    771

It's almost as if women's section is programmed incorrectly. Latvia is given 2 female quotas somehow, even though they have zero athletes with A standard. Croatia and Iceland are in the same situation, but with men's teams. One A standard athlete is within top 300, but that means nothing as there is no other athlete with A standard.

hckosice    694

Here in short the qualifications criteria in Cross-Country Skiing

Total Quotas

• 310 athletes
  • max. 20 athletes from 1 country, max 12 per gender
  • in every individual race a NOC can nominate max. 4 athletes

Qualifying standards in short

• Each country can enter 1 men and 1 women , if they have max. 300 FIS points
  • One place for mens or womens will receive each country with a athlete in the Top 300 FIS points ranking in distance or sprints
  • Each country with an athlete in top 30FIS points ranking will receive one additional quota
  • Each country with 2 and more athletes in top 30 FIS points ranking will receive 2 additional quotas
  • The remaining quotas will be redistributed via FIS points ranking in distance and sprint

Qualifying period?

• 1 July 2016 – 21. January 2018
  • Announcement of quotas: 22. January 2018
  • realocation of quotas: 25. January 2018