Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

dcro

Cross-Country Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

heywoodu    3,204

Those 5 September races in Termas de Chillan....that's new, that wasn't there earlier this week, awesome :hyper:

9352c90109.png

Now I hope the Brazilians aren't leaving for Argentina after the 4 September races..

heywoodu    3,204

Unlike Norway, Sweden etc, the Brazilian athletes have to wax their own skis, which in a sense is good, because apart from being athletes, they also learn a great deal about what is actually under their feet :)

At the moment, the one and only Bruna is waxing the new competition skis, only two nights left until the first race, vamos :cheer:

21200627_1447226832051065_39980370431082

https://www.facebook.com/atletabrunamoura/photos/a.507594329347658.1073741825.134041980036230/1447226832051065/?type=3

Edited by heywoodu

dcro    2,667
4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Unlike Norway, Sweden etc, the Brazilian athletes have to wax their own skis, which in a sense is good, because apart from being athletes, they also learn a great deal about what is actually under their feet :)

So you're suggesting that athletes from big teams are clueless about that? :p

heywoodu    3,204
4 minutes ago, dcro said:

So you're suggesting that athletes from big teams are clueless about that? :p

I wouldn't say clueless, but I do think when waxing your own skis, you learn a little bit more :p 

Although in IBU Cups they just drop the skis in the wax cabin and pick it up half an hour later, so not much to learn from that :d 

Edited by heywoodu

heywoodu    3,204

Race day! Freestyle sprints today in Termas de Chillan, which might be the only race ever in which all Brazilian female XC skiers* compete against each other (maybe tomorrow's classic sprint as well but that's not certain and definitely not in Tuesday's 5k F, since Jaqueline Mourão will only compete here to be eligible for the Olympics according to Brazil's rules, meaning she needs one FIS race in South America).

Really curious how things work out, they made some changes in the course only yesterday on the last day of training, resulting in the two downhills all of a sudden being really, really hard and technical. That might bring a big advantage to Mourão, who is by far the most experienced skier of the lot (well and Mika Picin, but she's less of a threat on the uphills and flat parts compared to Mourão). 

*Jaqueline Mourão, Mika Picin, Leila Mostaço, Bruna Moura and Gabi Neres

heywoodu    3,204
9 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I want to see Bruna at the Olympics so go Bruna!

This! :cheer:

heywoodu    3,204

Not long ago there was talk of at least 10 women in these races, last week it would be 7, now there are 6 left who will start the qualifying today (15:00 CET): the 5 Brazilians mentioned above and Claudia Salcedo of Chile. 

dcro    2,667

Mourao won by convincing 25 seconds. I guess it's all over now? :(

heywoodu    3,204
1 hour ago, dcro said:

Mourao won by convincing 25 seconds. I guess it's all over now? :(

Nothing is over :p 

CBDN (Brazilian federation) makes their own special ranking to determine who gets the one quota. What I mentioned earlier apparently wasn't right and it looks like this is correct:

- Average of the 5 best FIS points between 1 July 2016 and 22 January 2018, with some subcriteria;

- Maximum of two of those results coming in South America

- At least one of those results coming in the Northern Hemisphere

That is, if I'm translating correctly from the criteria, here. ( @vinipereira @thiago_simoes, am I correct?)

Mourão had no results in South America, so came to Chile to correct that. She's still rather far ahead in the rankings, but her points of today actually don't really make a significant difference (I'd say she has 80% chance to get the ticket, just like I thought before today).

The 25 seconds mean nothing by the way. There were two very hard downhills, on which Bruna fell all the time during training yesterday (they only got hard after the course was changed slightly yesterday). Today before the competition however, she worked hard on learning the 'drift technique' to get through the corners, and in qualifying...it worked! She was only 2 seconds behind Mourão then, but in the last (short, not hard) downhill there was a hole in the track and her ski got stuck, causing her to fall and lose 20-25 seconds.

The final was one big confidence boost, because even though Mourão eventually got the win by basically throwing herself down the downhills like a madman, Bruna for the first time ever saw that on the uphills and flat parts she was actually able to get the better of Mourão :)

And well, even if 2018 doesn't work out, that's all very promising for 2022, which after all was the first main goal when she started skiing. The fact that she's even in the running for the 2018 ticket is more than was expected when she was first standing on ski's, only three years ago. 

• Like 1

heywoodu    3,204

Tomorrow's classic sprint is cancelled, half of today's participants won't start and 3 athletes just isn't enough. 

ahjfcshfghb    140
15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Nothing is over :p 

CBDN (Brazilian federation) makes their own special ranking to determine who gets the one quota. What I mentioned earlier apparently wasn't right and it looks like this is correct:

- Average of the 5 best FIS points between 1 July 2016 and 22 January 2018, with some subcriteria;

- Maximum of two of those results coming in South America

- At least one of those results coming in the Northern Hemisphere

That is, if I'm translating correctly from the criteria, here. ( @vinipereira @thiago_simoes, am I correct?)

Mourão had no results in South America, so came to Chile to correct that. She's still rather far ahead in the rankings, but her points of today actually don't really make a significant difference (I'd say she has 80% chance to get the ticket, just like I thought before today).

The 25 seconds mean nothing by the way. There were two very hard downhills, on which Bruna fell all the time during training yesterday (they only got hard after the course was changed slightly yesterday). Today before the competition however, she worked hard on learning the 'drift technique' to get through the corners, and in qualifying...it worked! She was only 2 seconds behind Mourão then, but in the last (short, not hard) downhill there was a hole in the track and her ski got stuck, causing her to fall and lose 20-25 seconds.

The final was one big confidence boost, because even though Mourão eventually got the win by basically throwing herself down the downhills like a madman, Bruna for the first time ever saw that on the uphills and flat parts she was actually able to get the better of Mourão :)

And well, even if 2018 doesn't work out, that's all very promising for 2022, which after all was the first main goal when she started skiing. The fact that she's even in the running for the 2018 ticket is more than was expected when she was first standing on ski's, only three years ago. 

The rules say that any NOC with an athlete in the top 300 ranked list can enter an additional athlete. Jacqueline Mourao is 400, 10 FIS points behind 300. Doable? Does that mean if she makes it Bruna could get in?