website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

dcro

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Meaning the most realistic way for Bruna is by beating Mourão in the rankings. Not entirely impossible, but given Mourão's chances in competitions to score good points (especially North America, where she lives), that's going to be insanely tough. The FIS points system really is a shame, it says nothing about skiers qualities, since Bruna has already shown to be seriously close to Mourão by now and I honestly think in a straight up fight she could beat her (like the 5k free tomorrow in Termas de Chillan, but sadly Mourão is already on her way back to Canada so won't compete there).

Yeah.. quite a shame really. But she'll have plenty of time in the future to improve.

I'm just a bit puzzled as in the CC rules it only says if one athlete is in the top 300 the country gets an additional quota. The 100 point limit only seems mentioned regarding the events not the 10/15k and the sprint. Or did I understand it wrong?

7 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I still don't understand the system. For example according to the current simulation list Croatia has 1 male and two female quotas! But why, I would say it should be two in both? 

Pretty sure it should be one in both. :p Hope they don't see a potential mistake. :d

Krešimir Crnković still doesn't have A standard (111 FIS points as of now). Dadić's top 300 would mean something only if we had another athlete with A standard. No idea why FIS is giving us 2 women's quotas, it's clear that there should be only one, as we only have one athlete with A standard.

#banbestmen

It's almost as if women's section is programmed incorrectly. Latvia is given 2 female quotas somehow, even though they have zero athletes with A standard. Croatia and Iceland are in the same situation, but with men's teams. One A standard athlete is within top 300, but that means nothing as there is no other athlete with A standard.

#banbestmen

Here in short the qualifications criteria in Cross-Country Skiing

Total Quotas

• 310 athletes
  • max. 20 athletes from 1 country, max 12 per gender
  • in every individual race a NOC can nominate max. 4 athletes

Qualifying standards in short

• Each country can enter 1 men and 1 women , if they have max. 300 FIS points
  • One place for mens or womens will receive each country with a athlete in the Top 300 FIS points ranking in distance or sprints
  • Each country with an athlete in top 30FIS points ranking will receive one additional quota
  • Each country with 2 and more athletes in top 30 FIS points ranking will receive 2 additional quotas
  • The remaining quotas will be redistributed via FIS points ranking in distance and sprint

Qualifying period?

• 1 July 2016 – 21. January 2018
  • Announcement of quotas: 22. January 2018
  • realocation of quotas: 25. January 2018

5 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Yep quota list is all wrong Lithuania has an extra male quota as well. It's strange. But yet it doesn't actually say in the rules anywhere that the extra athlete has to have below 100? Does it?

Lithuanian second quota is correct. They have Vaicius in top 300 of sprint (and 3 athletes overall with A standard). I think it's the case of what they meant, and not necessarily what they exactly said in the qualification system. It's like swimming where mixing A and B athletes is a big no.

For example, I remember in 2014 we had a girl just making the sprint top 300 and we weren't given the extra quota. Bulgaria also had one girl just making it, but they were given the extra quota. The only difference between CRO and BUL was that BUL had 2 athletes with A standard, while CRO had 1.

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, dcro said:

Lithuanian second quota is correct. They have Vaicius in top 300 of sprint (and 3 athletes overall with A standard). I think it's the case of what they meant, and not necessarily what they exactly said in the qualification system. It's like swimming where mixing A and B athletes is a big no.

For example, I remember in 2014 we had a girl just making the sprint top 300 and we weren't given the extra quota. Bulgaria also had one girl just making it, but they were given the extra quota. The only difference between CRO and BUL was that BUL had 2 athletes with A standard, while CRO had 1.

Right, that makes sense. Cheers. I didn't really factor sprints into this.

Alright, 5k free today in Termas, athletes are on their way to the track as we speak. No Jaque Mourão, but Claudia Salcedo of Chile will compete today and so will Maria Cecilia Dominguez of Argentina, to decide who will be the South American distance champion :) 

My money is on Bruna, no doubt. No injuries, no illness, in good spirits (which is more important for her than the physical condition), time to show who's the best.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!