website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

Just now, bestmen said:

i mean he beated kiprop and moh farah

it's new no ?

Yeah, he lost 6 times to Kiprop before :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

First race ever with Semenya vs Niyonsaba vs Wambui, here we go :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1:55.33, 22nd fastest time in history for Semenya and she barely even tried until 600 meters. She's now officially in faster shape than ever, since this is her PB. 

Just now, dareza said:

:lol:

Incredibly times overall by the way, 9 women under 2 minutes is something really, really rare :yikes:

1 minute ago, dareza said:

It will be great race in Rio :cheer:

Absolutely! Especially now that there are two who can somewhat, possibly, maybe challenge Semenya, but seeing a 1:52-something would be interesting anyway :d 

Edited by heywoodu

Some thoughts:

1) Where did the following athletes come from this year?

Khaladovich, Ghazal (+ Taplin and Papachristou)

Especially Khaladovich is just embarrassing. I guess political leaders in Belarus realized that Arzamasova (where is she anyway?) wont win a medal in Rio, so they decided to try their luck in womens javelin throw. I pray to god that she wont steal a medal in Rio.

2) Womens 800m will be the most boring event in Rio with those 3 guys running far ahead of everyone else, come on, they dont even wear the same shorts as the other athletes, why?

3) Adams seems to be back, it will be very tight between her, Schwanitz and Gong in Rio.

4) Stefanidi is currently in a great shape, i think she will battle for gold with Silva and Suhr. I hope that the russian girls wont be allowed to compete in Rio. If you allow Isinbaeva to compete, then you could as well allow all russians to compete, considering that Isinbaeva is something like the press spokeswoman of the russian officials.

I am absolutely not surprised that McCartney was far off her best outside of some small competitions in her home country.

5) Tamberi looks fantastic at the moment, i think he will win at least a medal and the other medals will go to Kynard and Bondarenko.

6) Kiprop will need to work very hard if he wants to win that olympic gold this time. I think 3 african runners will still win the medals in Rio, only Centrowitz might challenge them.

7) Bartoletta was surprisingly slow, will she be able to get in top shape until Rio? I dont think that the US will win a medal in this event in Rio.

8) I have only one wish for all athletics events in Rio: Rojas has to win the gold! She and Ibarguen are clearly superior to everyone else, the fight for bronze could be pretty open. I pray to god that Spain wont naturalize her like they always do.

The secret in high/triple jump seems to be that you have to be fast, skinny and big. Jamaica came out of nowhere in many events, suddenly they have medal contenders in mens shot put, mens long jump, womens triple jump and maybe also mens discus throw.

9) I feel really sad for Cuba that they lost Ortega, Spain did absolutely nothing for his development and i hope that they wont get away with this shit in the future. Everyone who changes nationality should be banned for at least 2 years, then countries like Turkey might think twice before naturalizing athletes.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.