website statistics

Snowboarding FIS World Championships 2017

hckošice

FIS SNOWBOARDING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

yfAAOOIMNbNhBPvAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men's Snowboard Cross
Final Results

FRA.gif VAULTIER Pierre
-
Big Final

ESP.gif EGUIBAR Lucas
-
Big Final

AUS.gif PULLIN Alex
-Big Final

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women's Snowboard Cross
Final Results

USA.gif JACOBELLIS Lindsey
-
Big Final

FRA.gif TRESPEUCH Chloe
-
Big Final

ITA.gif MOIOLI Michela
-
Big Final

Jacobellis and Vaultier crowned SBX World Champions

9k=

It was another warm and sunny day here in Spain where the 4th snowboard day of the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships brought the first real racing action to the main stage.

The best 24 ladies and 48 men from Friday's qualifiers were set to go for Gold, Silver and Bronze in a snowboard cross event which left nothing to be desired on the purpose built and 1,117 metres long track.

After almost two hours of battling with their rivals and the soft snow conditions Lindsey Jacobellis (USA) and Pierre Vaultier (FRA) finally stood atop of the podium being crowned the 2017 SBX World Champions.

Two big names of the scene ready to reign for the next two years but also two riders with a totally different background to the FIS major event.

While Jacobellis is no stranger to the world championships podium, Pierre Vaultier finally snatched his career's first top-3 result at the worlds.

In a heartbeat women's final, Jacobellis crossed the finish line first beating Olympic Bronze medallist Chloe Trespeuch (FRA) and Michela Moioli (ITA) who repeated her Bronze medal win of 2015 in a photo finish decision to walk away with her career's fifth Gold.

The 31-year-old from Stratton, VT has won every SBX world championships race she has been competing in: “I mean, I don't plan it. It was really hard to see how things were going to go down today. I knew if I just got the best start, then I knew I had a shot. But as we know my starts aren't always the best. So, I just tried to give it everything I could and not really be distracted by other riders who were coming to peripheral vision. As soon as you get distracted you miss the transition. Everything was so quick, you had to be super precise.”

Being only one title away from the most decorated rider at world championships as Karine Ruby (FRA) had claimed six titles in her career Jacobellis, who has now successfully defended a WCS title for the second time, expressed the importance of her fifth win:

“Just as the women's level continues to increase this title is by far the hardest, and it was the most rewarding.”

Over in the men's event, reigning Olympic champion Vaultier finally got what he was working for for quite a long time.

Having underlined his claim on the title last Friday by posting the best time in the qualifiers the father of one kept the momentum of the time trials and rode as strong as one was expecting him to do so.

However, he still faced some fierce competition in the final heat of the men with Lucas Eguibar (ESP) and Alex Pullin (AUS) giving him a hard time and no rest on the way down to the crowd which was going insane hoping for a home soil win of the local favourite.

But in the end, it was Vaultier who got the hole shot and kept the lead from the start until the bottom of the course edging off the Spanish top gun and the two-time world champion from down under to the respective second and third rank.

“I can't say much. I'm exhausted. I felt so much pressure, but I was capable to handle it. There is not a tiny bit of energy left in my body right now.

It's overwhelming. I want to cry but I won't. I have been waiting for this so long, I gonna need a couple of days to realise what just happened,” Vaultier said right before the flower ceremony whilst also adding that “tomorrow is another race, but I don't know yet if I can race in the condition I'm right now.”

The 12th FIS Snowboard World Championships in Sierra Nevada, Spain continue tomorrow with the first ever snowboard cross team event starting at 12 PM CET. Click here for an update on the TV times.

Z

Full Finals Results Men and Women

Lindsey Jacobellis

2017 Snowboard Cross Womens World Champion

and

Pierre Vaultier

2017 Snowboard Cross Mens World Champion

FIS SNOWBOARDING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Team Snowboard Cross
Non-Olympic Event

Final Results

USA.gif United States
KEARNEY Hagen
BAUMGARTNER Nick

-Big Final

ESP.gif Spain
EGUIBAR Lucas
HERNANDEZ Regino

-Big Final

CAN.gif Canada
HILL Kevin
ROBANSKE Christopher

-Big Final

Women's Team Snowboard Cross
Non-Olympic Event

Final Results

FRA.gif France
MOENNE LOCCOZ Nelly
TRESPEUCH Chloe

-Big Final

FRA.gif France
PETIT Manon
BANKES Charlotte

-Big Final

USA.gif United States
JACOBELLIS Lindsey
GULINI Faye

-Big Final

France and USA take first ever Team SBX Gold

Z

History was written in Spain today when French riders Nelly Moenne Loccoz and Chloe Trespeuch on the ladies' side and US men Hagen Kearney and Nick Baumgartner were crowned the first ever Team SBX World Champions at the Sierra Nevada 2017 FIS Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships.

Unlike the days before, which had been blessed with bluebird sky and warm spring temperatures, Mother Nature had a different script in mind for Monday's historical race as an overnight weather change presented riders with colder temperatures and increasing snow fall over the course of the day.

As a result, the course was a different beast than it had been the previous day, with Sunday's soft slush gone and a much firmer course requiring a new set of tactics, as gold medal winner Kearney explained.

I knew it was going to be tough. Waking up this morning, we didn't think this race was gonna happen. But I knew I could beat everyone in the start, and I knew wind would be a factor and that there would be a lot of drafting as you saw pretty much in every heat. So, I was just able to put down my best run in the finals. And when that happens...”

he walks away with the Gold.

In fact, the men's big final ended up being the best advertising for the team event that organisers could have dreamt of, with both sets of four riders locked in a tight battle from top to bottom on a course which had produced very big gaps in Friday's time trials.

Kearney, known for his superb starts, took off like a rocket, gaining the hole shot and fighting off his rivals, with each rider battling hard for every metre in the hope to gain some advantage for their teammate waiting atop of the course for the gate to drop.

When Kearney crossed the finish line first, things went right the way as Baumgartner had predicted in a quote he had stated following yesterday's snowboard cross medal event:

Hagen’s going to kick everyone’s butt coming out of the start and I’m going to be the freight train following up. Whoo whoooo!”

In the end, the big man from Iron River, MI, stuck to his own script, and came in first to celebrate his career's first world championships title.

This feels awesome, and it's just cool as we waited until the finals of the team event to both have our best runs on this course. So, if those other guys wanted to take the win, it was gonna have to be us making a mistake. Unfortunately for them we didn't do that today.”

Baumgartner also admitted that it was the right redemption for missing his third world championships podium after coming in fourth yesterday.

You always wanna be on the podium, but yesterday those three guys, 1,2,3, they were the best. But today, I always told Hagen 'As soon as we team up together, we will win.' And this is our first time teaming together, and we won!”

However, the pure joy about the victory didn't hide the fact that it took a photo finish decision to give USA the title, after yesterday's silver medallist Lucas Eguibar (ESP) had a heroic run to move from fourth to second and very nearly past Baumgartner at the line.

After he had passed Markus Schairer (AUT) and Chris Robanske (CAN) he prepared for a final attack on the race leader from the US but made a mistake in the last section.

That's where I lost the Gold,” he said. “I'm very happy to be on the podium again, but it's a little bit bittersweet as I almost caught Nick.”

Coming in second, the local hero earned his second silver medal in 24 hours – this time alongside teammate Regino Hernandez.

Canada's Kevin Hill and Chris Robanske rounded out the podium in third, with Austrian duo Alessandro Haemmerle and Markus Schairer forced to settle for fourth.

Over in the women's event, things weren't as tight and enthralling as the men's showdown as the title was actually decided in the first run of the final heat when the girls were halfway through the track.

Five-time world champion Lindsey Jacobellis was getting a draft on leading Nelly Moenne Loccoz going over the jump which enters turn four when the US athlete changed her direction last second to the left to avoid landing on the tail of the French woman in front of her whilst also aiming for the inside line.

But as Raffaella Brutto came from the right Jacobellis couldn't avoid a collision with the Italian just before the landing.

With both ladies crashing out the road was paved for a French double victory, with Moenne Loccoz and Chloe Trespeuch taking home the gold, and Manon Petit and teammate Charlotte Bankes claiming silver.

It feels great to be the world champion, especially together with Chloe as we are really good friends. That makes it so much easier to snowboard together," said Moenne Loccoz,

"We put our strengths together today: I was going for the quick start and she was supposed to bring it home. And that's what we did."

Although team ITA1 came in ahead of USA1, it was Lindsey Jacobellis and Faye Gulini earning the Bronze after Raffaella Brutto and Michela Moioli got disqualified as Brutto didn't pass one gate correctly following her spill with Jacobellis.

The 12th FIS Snowboard World Championships in Sierra Nevada, Spain continue tomorrow with the parallel giant slalom event starting at 9 AM CET (qualifiers). The finals are slated to kick off at 1 PM CET. Click here for an update on the TV times.

2Q==

Full Results Men and Women

France (Moenne Loccoz/Trespeuch)

2017 Womens Team Snowboard Cross World Champion

and

United States (Kearney/Baumgartner)

2017 Mens Team Snowboard Cross World Champion

FIS SNOWBOARDING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Parallel Slalom
Non-Olympic Event
Final Results

AUT.gif PROMMEGGER Andreas
-Big Final

AUT.gif KARL Benjamin
-Big Final

RUS.gif SOBOLEV Andrey
-Small Final

Women's Parallel Slalom
Non-Olympic Event

Final Results

AUT.gif ULBING Daniela
-Big Final

CZE.gif LEDECKA Ester
-Big Final

RUS.gif ZAVARZINA Alena
-Small Final

Ulbing and Prommegger celebrate Austrian double victory in PSL

9k=

Austria's very own Daniela Ulbing and Andreas Prommegger have done their home country proud winning the parallel slalom event of the Sierra Nevada 2017 FIS Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships today.

Ulbing won the Gold ahead of defending champion Ester Ledecka (CZE) and Alena Zavarzina (RUS) while Benjamin Karl (AUT) and Andrey Sobolev (RUS) rounded out the men's podium as respective second and third.

After yesterday's parallel giant slalom race had to be cancelled and re-scheduled to tomorrow due to a heavy snowstorm with wind speeds over 100 km/h, this afternoon's PSL took place under a blue bird sky again and at warm temperatures which had been dominating the first week of the 12th FIS Snowboard World Championships until the weather had changed rapidly last Monday.

In the women's event, this season's shooting star Ulbing put all things together to compete in the race of her life today which was actually the first ever for her at world championships.

Coming out as fastest qualifier and therefore having the advantage of choosing the side of the parallel flagged course, the 19-year-old from Carinthia dominated her rivals in the knock-out rounds.

After beating Carolin Langenhorst (GER) and Olympic champion Patrizia Kummer (SUI) she also knocked out Alena Zavarzina (RUS) before dethroning defending champion Ester Ledecka (CZE).

“I never ever would have thought of walking home with the title, but the more I'm happy now. Of course it was an advantage being able to always chose the same course, but I don't think I have realised it yet what just happened,” stated Ulbing, who has just two World Cup seasons under her belt.

Her rival in the finals has already had some more starts and success but added just another chapter to the history books.

Actually, Ledecka became the first athlete ever to compete at FIS Ski World Championships (St. Moritz) as well as FIS Snowboard World Championships in the same year, a fact she commented with a beaming smile: “It's great, isn't it? It was a good race, I really enjoyed every run. I'm happy about the way I was competing. It was a great day.”

The women's podium was rounded out by Alena Zavarzina who crossed the finish line ahead of Germany's Cheyenne Loch in the small final.

While the women's event was clinched by a World Championships novice, the men's event finally saw Andreas Prommegger triumphing.

Finally, as it took the father of two 18 (!) years and 17 world championships starts since 1999 to finally walk home with a medal.

“I can't put it into words. I knew I could earn a medal as I currently am in a very good shape. I knew it had to happen as I have been fighting so many times for a podium at major events and never have been rewarded for it,” stated Prommegger while waiting for the official award ceremony.

Three times, he had come close at worlds as fourth, now, he finally got redemption for all the unlucky losses in the past years beating room mate and long-time friend Benjamin Karl, who has medalled in every major event he has been competing in since 2009, in the final heat of the day to crown himself world champion.

“I tried to not put myself under pressure, telling myself that if I have to retire without a medal at Olympics or worlds, I would still be proud of what I have achieved in the past years. But now, I will go home as world champion. It's unreal.”

Especially as he took the title against Karl who had defeated him several times on the big stages. But not this time as Prommegger kept the momentum from back-to-back World Cup wins:

“We push each other every year, in every race and training, which is a dream. And finally having the margin on my side, it's unbelievable.”

Karl, however, was also surprised how the story did unfold today.

Not having had the best PSL results in the past World Cup events, the four-time world champion has been working on his set-up over the course of the season a lot, just to change everything in Sierra Nevada again:

“If you would have asked me prior to the race, I would have said: 'Oh, I have no chance today'. I just have changed my whole set-up prior to the race, board, plate. I never would have thought of this in the PSL race.”

But if the father of one is known for one thing than for his mental strength to be right there when he has to be, especially when it's time to battle for Gold, Silver and Bronze:

“I have now medalled at every major event I have been competing in. That's amazing, and I guess this is something not many athletes have achieved so far.”

In the battle for third, Sobolev delivered one of the strongest comebacks ever been witnessed on a parallel slalom course to heading Nevin Galmarini off right before the finish line after almost going down at the beginning of the steep part of the course.

The Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships continue tomorrow with the PGS event as qualifiers are set to take place at 9 AM CET while the finals will kick off at 1 PM CET. Click here for an update on the TV times.

9k=

Daniela Ulbing

2017 Womens Parallel Slalom World Champion

and

Andreas Prommegger

2017 Mens Parallel Slalom World Champion

FIS SNOWBOARDING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Parallel Giant Slalom
Final Results

AUT.gif PROMMEGGER Andreas
-Big Final

AUT.gif KARL Benjamin
-Big Final

SUI.gif GALMARINI Nevin
-Small Final

Women's Parallel Giant Slalom
Final Results

CZE.gif LEDECKA Ester
-Big Final

SUI.gif KUMMER Patrizia
-Big Final

RUS.gif TUDEGESHEVA Ekaterina
-Small Final

Ledecka and Prommegger prevail in world champs parallel giant slalom

2Q==

After scoring Silver and Gold, in yesterday's parallel slalom event, respectively, Ester Ledecka (CZE) and Andreas Prommegger (AUT) came out victorious in today's parallel giant slalom race of the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships.

Ledecka earned the title ahead of Patrizia Kummer (SUI) and Ekaterina Tudegesheva (RUS) while Prommegger once again beat teammate Benjamin Karl in the repetition of yesterday's men's final. Nevin Galmarini (SUI) rounded out the podium as third.

As yesterday's first of two alpine snowboard events of the 12th FIS Snowboard World Championships wouldn't have had enough in store to talk about for a couple of days, the world's best raceboarders took it serious on the race slope under a blue bird sky again to add some more chapters to the history books.

And of course, it was the men's ultimate heat which impressed the most as both finalists had been the main actors of yesterday's event already.

Sharing the room when on tour for quite some years now, being long-time friends who push each other in every competition as well as training session as soon as the season's preparations kick off for Team Snowboard Austria in fall, Andreas Prommegger and Benjamin Karl delivered once again the best proof why this sport is as exciting as it gets.

Going down the parallel flagged course head to head from start to bottom, Prommegger crossed the finish line only 0.12 seconds ahead of Karl therefore becoming the third ever alpine snowboarder to win both, the PSL and PGS event, in one year.

So far, only Jasey Jay Anderson (Whistler, Canada, 2005) and Benjamin Karl (La Molina, Spain, 2011) had been able to pull off this feat.

“I don't know how it feels to be a double world champion, it will take some time to realise this. But as everybody comes by I guess it has to be something special”, he joked.

“But seriously, I came here to win a medal for sure. Everyone who knows my history knows how much I deserved this as I came close quite a few times to medal. But you know, you cannot force it. At major events it just has to click. And that's what just happened.

In addition, it was the second time in a row that the father of two from St. Johann denied Karl to becoming the first ever male snowboarder to win five world championships titles.

Currently, Karl, who has claimed at least one medal in every major event he has attended in since 2009, is sitting on the shared first rank of the multi wins table together with Anderson.

However, the father of one took it as it came and didn't look back: “You know, I still have enough time, I'm only 31 years now. Retirement is a question of success not of your age. And with results like those here, I guess I can give it a few more shots although it's a pity of course as you don't get those chances often. But I have nothing to complain.”

Same for Galmarini.

After having been bumped off the podium yesterday as fourth being defeated by only a few hundredths of a second in both, the semi and the battle for third, the Swiss top racer finally took his first world championships medal in his tenth start beating Radoslav Yankov (BUL) in the small final of the men's competition.

“Placing fourth yesterday, man, the pressure was intense today. Of course you try to edit yesterday out. It has been a new day, and I knew that I'm a bit better in the PGS event, but nevertheless, it was really hard yesterday, so hard you would like to bite in your board.

So, I'm happy that I took a medal, and I'm proud of myself that I was able to get something positive out of yesterday. Bronze is like Gold for me.”

Over in the women's event, it was Ledecka who earned the Gold one day after being awarded with a precious Silver.

The 2015 PSL world champion from the Czech Republic, who has been competing in the St. Moritz FIS Ski World Championships last month already, earned her career's second beating 2014 Olympic PGS champion Patrizia Kummer (SUI) on the line with the tiny advantage of 0.19 seconds.

“This is like a dream come true. This is really great. It was my goal to compete in both world championships this year, skiing and snowboarding, and this is a great bonus. I have two medals. I'm happy,” Ledecka said.

More than ten years after snatching Gold in the 2007 world champs in Arosa (SUI), Ekaterina Tudegesheva held the upper hand on Ramona Hofmeister (GER) in the battle for third earning her fourth world championships medal.

The Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships continue tomorrow with the Big Air semis (1 PM CET) and finals (7:30 PM CET). Click here for an update on the TV times.

9k=

Ester Ledecka

2017 Womens Parallel Giant Slalom World Champion

and

Andreas Prommegger

2017 Mens Parallel Giant Slalom World Champion

FIS SNOWBOARDING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Big Air
Final Results

NOR.gif SANDBECH Staale

USA.gif CORNING Chris

NOR.gif KLEVELAND Marcus

Women's Big Air
Final Results

AUT.gif GASSER Anna

FIN.gif RUKAJARVI Enni

NOR.gif NORENDAL Silje

Gasser and Sandbech claim world champs Gold in stunning big air show

2Q==

Anna Gasser (AUT) and Staale Sandbech (NOR) have crowned themselves new big air world champions at the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships in a thrilling final of the major event's last snowboard competition which saw both Gold medallists landing tricks they have never sticked in a contest before.

In fact, Gasser became the first women to ever land a backside double cork 1080 mute in a competition wowing not only the judges and fans but also her coaches and herself.

With her arms raised in joy and her jaw dropped almost to her knees the dominating rider of this winter couldn't belief what she had just done when riding over to the sponsor wall to wait for the judges call.

However, everybody around just knew what would be coming in this women's final which will not be soon forgotten as all six ladies were going for it showcasing under the lights how fast women's snowboarding is progressing right now.

By scoring a perfect 100 for the historical trick the 25-year-old took her career's first title with a total of 189.50 after having also landed her signature cab double cork 900 mute before.

“I haven't really realised it yet. I'm so happy, especially that I have put down the backside dub 1080. I have been thinking of this trick for quite a while now. In fact, the world championships title is the icing on the cake.

Today, everything just came together. I knew I had to land my first tricks clean. I got good scores on them, and then I knew that it's now or never to go for it.”

And her competitors for the big air crown appreciated Gasser's dedication to once again push the sport a little bit further.

Enni Rukajarvi (FIN; 165.25) and Silje Norendal (NOR; 162.75) who both took the respective Silver and Bronze lauded Gasser with Norendal, who had sticked a cab 900, saying:

“The finals were pretty good which is pretty cool, and I'm super stoked to see Anna landing the back double 10. I think women's snowboarding is progressing so much, and I'm just happy to be a part of it.”

Over in the men's event, Sandbech, who had just been able to ride again before christmas coming back from a second meniscus surgery he had to undergo after the first one didn't went well, sticked a cab 1440 tail in the semis as well as the finals.

However, it was his backside triple cork 1440 and a frontside 1440 tail the judges liked more giving him a total of 188.25 to walk away with the Gold in the three run, best two count final of his first ever world championships competition.

“Hell yeah! It's amazing. I mean, I was able to land all of my runs in the finals, actually three different tricks, three different rotations which I kind of mostly did for myself to prove that I can do it. It's been a good night,” Sandbech said after finally being back on top of his game for which he had fought hard over the last couple of weeks.

“I kind of have been pushed into competitions right away where I had to learn my tricks of last year again. I have been struggling a bit with the confidence to not being scared. But the last two weeks until now have been a confidence boost, and I feel myself and my snowboarding again.”

Chris Corning (USA; 182.75) as well as Marcus Kleveland (NOR; 177.25), the only one to land a cab triple cork 1620, rounded out the podium as second and third, respectively, making the podium sweep by world champs novices complete.

Anna%20Gasser.jpg

Full Mens Qualification , Semifinal and Final

Full Womens Qualification , Semifinal and Final

Snowboarding World Championships 2017 Final Medal Standing Here

Anna Gasser

2017 Womens Big Air World Champion

and

Staale Sandbech

2017 Mens Big Air World Champion