website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2017

dareza

Brazilian TV has just informed that 17 countries sent a letter to FINA (it is unclear if it was a joint letter or if each country sent a letter of their own) demanding Brazil to be banned from the World Championships before the competition started. I found nothing about it online. Does anybody know if this is really true?

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Brazilian TV has just informed that 17 countries sent a letter to FINA (it is unclear if it was a joint letter or if each country sent a letter of their own) demanding Brazil to be banned from the World Championships before the competition started. I found nothing about it online. Does anybody know if this is really true?

This is the first I hear about it :yikes:

Because of several positive doping tests or something? Thinking about the past months I can only remember Henrique something (Rodrigues?).. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutos atrás, George_D disse:

(-)
Australia
France
Japan

What the hell? France got six gold medals! Sure, they were far from great in the pool, but the championships was nearly perfect for them otherwise: first ever medal in diving (and a gold one), four gold medals in open water swimming, they advanced to the finals in 4 of their 5 attempted routines in synchronized swimming, and the women's team advanced to playoffs in water polo. Not bad at all. 

3 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

What the hell? France got six gold medals! Sure, they were far from great in the pool, but the championships was nearly perfect for them otherwise: first ever medal in diving (and a gold one), four gold medals in open water swimming, they advanced to the finals in 4 of their 5 attempted routines in synchronized swimming, and the women's team advanced to playoffs in water polo. Not bad at all. 

I think this was about swimming only :p (as in, long course swimming)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Ugh, already sick and tired of the Caeleb Dressel hype. "OMG 7 GOLD MEDALS", well yeah, it's swimming, 4 of them are in relays and half of those are in mixed circus relays.. 

4 minutos atrás, heywoodu disse:

This is the first I hear about it :yikes:

Because of several positive doping tests or something? Thinking about the past months I can only remember Henrique something (Rodrigues?).. 

I think it was because of the corruption scandals in Brazilian Aquatics Federation, and the very questionable process which led to the election of the new president of the federation. But trying to ban athletes from competing because there are problems not related to their performances is a low blow. It's nice to finish in the top 10 among the medal winning nations after this. 

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

I think it was because of the corruption scandals in Brazilian Aquatics Federation, and the very questionable process which led to the election of the new president of the federation. But trying to ban athletes from competing because there are problems not related to their performances is a low blow. It's nice to finish in the top 10 among the medal winning nations after this. 

If it's about corruption instead of doping, that is a prime example of a low blow indeed..

Can't find anything on Globo about it yet, which are the best 2-3 other sites I could pay attention to? 

2 minutos atrás, heywoodu disse:

If it's about corruption instead of doping, that is a prime example of a low blow indeed..

Can't find anything on Globo about it yet, which are the best 2-3 other sites I could pay attention to? 

www.uol.com.br and www.bestswim.com.br

The commentator who said this on live TV runs the Best Swim website. 

Next time it's in Gwangju in South Korea...somehow I feel that's not going to be anywhere near these world champs in terms of atmosphere..