Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Dunadan

2024 and 2028 Olympic Games Host Cities Election

Dragon    38
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Both LA and Paris said they would not bid for 2028, so this decision by the IOC is smart. Its not like there are cities lining up to host...

If Paris did not win this time then it is unlikely any city in Western Europe would bid for 20 years.

The same applies to the USA if LA did not win,

This way we have a few more years to find new host cities.

Maybe by 2032 India or South Africa will be able to bid?

I think Paris 2024 - LA 2028 is a brilliant decision but I don't like the way they made the decision. Too much secrecy.

Edited by Dragon
Added more

I remember that some country from the Middle East wanted to host the Olympics. Maybe it was Qatar. I cannot really remember now. I can only imagine how upsetting it is for a country which wants to host the Olympics to be sidelined by the IOC, while LA and Paris both get the green light in suspicious circumstances. It's like the IOC is sending a clear message to the Middle East (and probably Africa as well): you guys are not hosting the Olympics anytime soon.

Dmitry    29
10 hours ago, dcro said:

This idea has been going around for months though. If someone was really doing some serious work about bidding they would have stepped out, or an IOC member from that nation would have said something today.

Unfair would be having this decision made behind close doors, in a heat of the moment.

It wasn`t official. Just an information in the media. IOC never said: "we are going to use bids for 2024 and for 2028. Please, tell us if you want to be in the fight for 2028".

And the other thing: cities still have time for doing a decision about running for 2028. Not after yesterday IOC decision of course.

Opposite, this decision made exactly behind close door.

I think this discussion will start to lock in the cycle. :)

Edited by Dmitry

YES YES YES YES YES!

so we didnt win the vote, but i dont care, because in 2028 THE OLYMPICS ARE IN MY HOME TOWN!!!! i will be probably living in my car for the entire time, but my kids will be even old enough to take in this amazing experience with me, this is so exciting beyond words!

Dolby    93

Here is a thought: If some country feels that it wanted to bid for 2028 games and is being cheated, say it out loud. 

Fact is there is not a big line of eligible cities who are interested in hosting Olympics. In Asia, big 3 (China/Japan/South Korea) already are hosting Olympics in near future. Rest (India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Middle East) have question marks on ability to host and/or are not interested. Same with Africa, South America and Eastern Europe. Australia has already said not interested. In Western Europe, German and Italian cities have potential to host but there is little public support for potential bids. So, that leaves the loser (US/France) of 2024, Spain, Canada and Mexico as only potential bids. And I am not seeing any opposition to this proposal from them. So, lets chill and enjoy 2 Olympics in cities which can host a grand event. 

• Like 1

dcro    779
1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

It wasn`t official. Just an information in the media. IOC never said: "we are going to use bids for 2024 and for 2028. Please, tell us if you want to be in the fight for 2028".

And the other thing: cities still have time for doing a decision about running for 2028. Not after yesterday IOC decision of course.

Opposite, this decision made exactly behind close door.

Idea has been in the open since last year. It goes without saying that everyone who opposes it can step forward (and still could, actually, but nobody did)... They have discussed it publicly numerous times.

Norway pulled out from 2022 bidding late in the process, even though they were huge favorites. It would have been stupid to let that happen again because obviously hosting Olympics is not very popular at this point. As Dragon said, after 2024/28 the door could open for some very new host, especially if Paris/LA (both cities very capable of doing it right) bring back the faith in hosting.

Edited by dcro

dcro    779
1 hour ago, Dolby said:

And I am not seeing any opposition to this proposal from them. So, lets chill and enjoy 2 Olympics in cities which can host a grand event. 

Yeah, it's funny how there are people protesting the decision and yet no city is doing that. :d

Edited by dcro

Dragon    38

I like the idea that the Summer Olympics would have a 12 year schedule.

1st Olympics could go to North or South America

2nd Olympics to Europe or Africa

3rd Olympics to Asia or Australia.

Then back to #1 again

Майкл    155
6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I remember that some country from the Middle East wanted to host the Olympics. Maybe it was Qatar. I cannot really remember now. I can only imagine how upsetting it is for a country which wants to host the Olympics to be sidelined by the IOC, while LA and Paris both get the green light in suspicious circumstances. It's like the IOC is sending a clear message to the Middle East (and probably Africa as well): you guys are not hosting the Olympics anytime soon.

Qatar has bigger problems than not being able to host the Olympics at the moment :d The only city which could properly host the Olympics from that region is Dubai and they do not seem to be intrested in doing so...

intoronto    136
5 hours ago, Dolby said:

Here is a thought: If some country feels that it wanted to bid for 2028 games and is being cheated, say it out loud. 

Fact is there is not a big line of eligible cities who are interested in hosting Olympics. In Asia, big 3 (China/Japan/South Korea) already are hosting Olympics in near future. Rest (India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Middle East) have question marks on ability to host and/or are not interested. Same with Africa, South America and Eastern Europe. Australia has already said not interested. In Western Europe, German and Italian cities have potential to host but there is little public support for potential bids. So, that leaves the loser (US/France) of 2024, Spain, Canada and Mexico as only potential bids. And I am not seeing any opposition to this proposal from them. So, lets chill and enjoy 2 Olympics in cities which can host a grand event. 

Toronto forgo 2024 to bid for 2028 (at least that was the plan). As someone from the city it is frustrating but at the same time if you snooze you lose.

intoronto    136
9 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

There are so many reasons why Qatar shouldn't host, and it never made the shortlist (ie doesn't meet the standards)... so I don't see the IOC gravitating to them.

Em 7/12/2017 at 11:43, intoronto disse:

There are so many reasons why Qatar shouldn't host, and it never made the shortlist (ie doesn't meet the standards)... so I don't see the IOC gravitating to them.

Yes, I can understand why Qatar will not host the Olympics anytime soon. But it's time for the IOC to promote big changes, or we will see Qatar rising as a potential host if no other place wants to host the Games. I believe Azerbaijan would go crazy if they had a real shot of hosting the Olympics (they have the money, for sure), and I guess the members of the IOC probably see Azerbaijan as a less awkward host, but you never know. 

Edited by thiago_simoes

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this