website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2024 & 2028 Bid Process

mrv86

Just now, Agger said:

Wouldn't say for sure, though it's without doubt good for their chances. Ju-jitsu and orienteering will without doubt find it interesting as well!

there are many sports of fighting judo, taekwondo,boxing +karate

but nothing similar to the boules besides this sport is very popular in france they will fight for

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, bestmen said:

there are many sports of fighting judo, taekwondo,boxing +karate

but nothing similar to the boules besides this sport is very popular in france they will fight for

No need to state the obvious.
Jiu-jitsu would most likely need karate to be dropped again, but France is pretty damn good at it.

Paris is also the best shot for orienteering as other strong nations aren't likely to bid for the summer games in the near future.

il y a 46 minutes, Agger a déclaré:

Wouldn't say for sure, though it's without doubt good for their chances. Ju-jitsu and orienteering will without doubt find it interesting as well!

Yeah, it's far from sure. The sport (not the leisure activty mind you) is not really popular (ie media coverage is minimal). Besides, it does't really convoy a youth message, and might appears as too much franco-french. It does stand a chance, the best they will never have, but it is not as automatic as some might think.

98% of the french people wouldn' know that Orienteering is actually a sport, so that's not going to happen. And with karate basically appearing like a lock for Paris 2024, I don't see them adding yet an extra combat sport with Ju Jitsu (or Savate if anyone was thinking about that)

Assuming, we will see the same procedure Than Tokyo and 5 additional sports will be added. I think these sports sould be considered as the front runners:

- Karate: Cheap to stage, Uber high medals chances, doesn't appear like too french or too european, continuation from Tokyo 2020

- Sport Climbing, cheap enough to stage, decent medal chances, domestic following (Bercy Arena packed for recent world championship)

- Squash: Cheap to stage and possibly set in any iconic Paris landscape, good enough medal chances, french president of the world federation (can't hurt),. Should be considered as a lock too, but it's squash and the Olympics, so you never know.

- Surfing: Decent following in the South (South) West, historical legitimy, succesfull previous events (world cup stages, recent 2017 Biarritz WC), bring some needed sexyness to the Games. Almost guaranted to be held in 3 consecutives games (2020-2028)

The 5th spot is more open IMHO, I could see a match between Boules, Roller (Speed roller beeing more likely than skateboarding) and baseball/softball (yes really) with an outside chance for Pelota (likely with the new kid on the block Frontball )

Anyway, that's all very hypotecal at that point.

Edited by De_Gambassi

56 minutes ago, Belle said:

Maybe OT but what do you think about chances of Bandy and Floorball to be included in future Olympic games?

I read this article about floorball's chances recently.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1053312/exclusive-los-angeles-2028-would-boost-floorballs-olympic-hopes-iff-secretary-general-claims

#banbestmen

Who do you think might light the cauldron in 2028? I really think that it should be either Kobe Bryant or Magic Johnson

Also this probably will be the best chance to convince MLB to let professionals play in the Olympics (especially that baseball will be in Dodger Stadium and Softball will be in Angel Stadium)

Lastly it made me think what kind of new sports might show up when the games come to Los Angeles

Lacross?

American Football?

Nascar?

Competitive Eating?

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Who do you think might light the cauldron in 2028? I really think that it should be either Kobe Bryant or Magic Johnson

Also this probably will be the best chance to convince MLB to let professionals play in the Olympics (especially that baseball will be in Dodger Stadium and Softball will be in Angel Stadium)

Lastly it made me think what kind of new sports might show up when the games come to Los Angeles

Lacross?

American Football?

Nascar?

Competitive Eating?

Lacrosse is the only one that meets the criteria of those sports. However, with baseball/softball being added it would be difficult.