website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2024 & 2028 Bid Process

mrv86

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

How can hurricane or tsunami force IOC to award games prematurely? That has nothing to do about this, exceptional circumstance is about current climate in Olympic movement. As Agger said, this is an opportunity to re-evaluate the bidding in general. They were talking about changing Olympic charter and saying that Games can be awarded early if an IOC session decides to do so, but the general consensus was that having a full agreement about this was an exceptional circumstance. They wouldn't agree on this every time.

I mean what is really reason of current climate in Olympic movement? The main thing is not circumstances but IOC, I think.

Besides, with this decision we will have a rare occurrence that 4 different continents will host 4 consecutive Olympics. I fail to see how all this can be a bad thing. Sure, somebody may have missed a chance, but the potential candidates for 2028 mostly included those who pulled out on this or some previous occassion (like Germany, Italy, Hungary...). Who's to say they wouldn't drop out again?

The way how they did their decision is wrong. Because there are no equal chance for every city like it should be. That's bad.

33 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I mean what is really reason of current climate in Olympic movement? The main thing is not circumstances but IOC, I think.

The way how they did their decision is wrong. Because there are no equal chance for every city like it should be. That's bad.

This idea has been going around for months though. If someone was really doing some serious work about bidding they would have stepped out, or an IOC member from that nation would have said something today.

Unfair would be having this decision made behind close doors, in a heat of the moment.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Both LA and Paris said they would not bid for 2028, so this decision by the IOC is smart. Its not like there are cities lining up to host...

If Paris did not win this time then it is unlikely any city in Western Europe would bid for 20 years.

The same applies to the USA if LA did not win,

This way we have a few more years to find new host cities.

Maybe by 2032 India or South Africa will be able to bid?

I think Paris 2024 - LA 2028 is a brilliant decision but I don't like the way they made the decision. Too much secrecy.

Edited by Dragon
Added more

I remember that some country from the Middle East wanted to host the Olympics. Maybe it was Qatar. I cannot really remember now. I can only imagine how upsetting it is for a country which wants to host the Olympics to be sidelined by the IOC, while LA and Paris both get the green light in suspicious circumstances. It's like the IOC is sending a clear message to the Middle East (and probably Africa as well): you guys are not hosting the Olympics anytime soon.

10 hours ago, dcro said:

This idea has been going around for months though. If someone was really doing some serious work about bidding they would have stepped out, or an IOC member from that nation would have said something today.

Unfair would be having this decision made behind close doors, in a heat of the moment.

It wasn`t official. Just an information in the media. IOC never said: "we are going to use bids for 2024 and for 2028. Please, tell us if you want to be in the fight for 2028".

And the other thing: cities still have time for doing a decision about running for 2028. Not after yesterday IOC decision of course.

Opposite, this decision made exactly behind close door.

I think this discussion will start to lock in the cycle. :)

Edited by Dmitry

YES YES YES YES YES!

so we didnt win the vote, but i dont care, because in 2028 THE OLYMPICS ARE IN MY HOME TOWN!!!! i will be probably living in my car for the entire time, but my kids will be even old enough to take in this amazing experience with me, this is so exciting beyond words!

Here is a thought: If some country feels that it wanted to bid for 2028 games and is being cheated, say it out loud. 

Fact is there is not a big line of eligible cities who are interested in hosting Olympics. In Asia, big 3 (China/Japan/South Korea) already are hosting Olympics in near future. Rest (India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Middle East) have question marks on ability to host and/or are not interested. Same with Africa, South America and Eastern Europe. Australia has already said not interested. In Western Europe, German and Italian cities have potential to host but there is little public support for potential bids. So, that leaves the loser (US/France) of 2024, Spain, Canada and Mexico as only potential bids. And I am not seeing any opposition to this proposal from them. So, lets chill and enjoy 2 Olympics in cities which can host a grand event.