website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB World League 2017

VolleyRuller96

• 2 weeks later...

DEFENDING CHAMPIONS SERBIA TO FACE MYRIAD OF TALENT IN WORLD LEAGUE GROUP 1

GetImage.asmx?No=67160&type=Press&maxSize=920

Lausanne, Switzerland, April 28, 2017 – The 2017 FIVB Volleyball World League boasts a myriad of talents in the top-tier group, headed by the likes of last year’s MVP Marko Ivovic and Best Middle Blocker Srecko Lisinac of Serbia.

The two got their offence and defence working in tandem in 2016 to give Serbia its first ever World League title. This season, Ivovic and Lisinac are likely to lead the pack of the solid Serbian starting unit, which should also include Uros Kovacevic, Nikola Jovovic, Luburic Drazen and Marko Podrascanin.

GetImage.asmx?No=201706798
The 2016 FIVB World League individual award winners: (L-R) Wallace De Souza (BRA), Mauricio Souza (BRA), Simone Giannelli (ITA), Marko Ivovic (SRB), Srecko Lisinac (SRB), Jenia Grebennikov (FRA) and Antonin Rouzier (FRA)

Serbia are among the seven-strong European contingent in Group 1, along with Belgium, Bulgaria, France, Italy, Poland and Russia.

Belgium coach Vital Heynen will hope to count on top-scoring stars Sam Deroo and Gert Walle, while Bulgaria will have hard-hitting Tsvetan Sokolov and Todor Skrimov.

France will try to move forward without their top scorer Antonin Rouzier, who announced his retirement after the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. The 2015 World League winners will try to sustain their rise in men’s volleyball with the likes of Earvin Ngapeth, Benjamin Toniutti, Nicolas Le Goff, Kevin Le Roux and Jenia Grebennikov.

Italy, who lost to France in the bronze medal match in straight sets last year, will have a revamp of their line-up. They lose their top wingmen Ivan Zaytsev and Osmany Juantorena this year, but will count on brilliant playmaker Simone Gianelli to orchestrate their offence.

GetImage.asmx?No=201706799
Italy's Simone Gianelli will be a player to look out for in the 2017 World League

Poland are likely to retain their top players headed by Michal Kubiak and Bartosz Kurek, while Russia will play without their best scoring tandem Dmitriy Muserskiy and Maxim Mikhaylov.

The defending champions will face their 2016 rivals Brazil and other tough opponents like Argentina, Iran, Canada and the United States.

Bruno Rezende, Wallace De Souza and Ricardo Lucarelli lead the Brazilian roster. The South Americans will hope that their Rio 2016 gold medal win will rub off on their 2017 campaign with new coach Renan Dal Zotto at the helm.

Another South American powerhouse, Argentina, will continue their quest to develop. Velasco called up a mix of new players and veteran players, only without their best player Facundo Conte.

The lone Asian squad in the top-tier group, Iran, are likely to showcase their finest players including Mir Saeid Marouflakrani, Seyed Mohammad Mousavi and Amir Ghafour, along with some young players that will try to adapt to a new system led by Serbian coach Igor Kolakovic.

Canada, who won last year’s Group 2 finals, will also go through some adjustments with new coach Stephane Antiga. On the playing end, Joseph Gordon Perrin and Nicholas Hoag should take over the scoring responsibilities of Gavin Schmitt, who retired after Rio 2016. 

Canada’s NORCECA adversaries USA are likely to introduce new names in their line-up, as main hitters Matthew Anderson and Aaron Russell will not be suiting up for the team this year. Nevertheless, USA will still be a tough side to beat with Micah Christenson, Taylor Sander and Erik Shoji running the offence and defence. 

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

:BUL BULGARIAN NATIONAL VOLLEYBALL TEAM FOR FIVB WORLD LEAGUE 2017 :BUL

SETTERS

Georgi Bratoev

Lubomir Agontsev

Georgi Seganov

Vladimir Stankov

RECEIVERS

Martin Atanasov

Dimitar Marinkov

Rozalin Penchev

Todor Skrimov

Valentin Bratoev

Todor Aleksiev

Nikolay Penchev

MIDDLE BLOCKERS

Svetoslav Gotsev

Viktor Yosifov

Teodor Todorov

Nikolay Nikolov

Nikolay Kartev

ATTACKERS

Jani Zheliazkov

Tsvetan Sokolov

LIBEROS

Dobromir Ivanov

Teodor Salparov

Vladislav Ivanov

HEAD COACH: :BUL Plamen Konstantinov

Edited by VolleyRuller96

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

:FRA  FRENCH NATIONAL VOLLEYBALL TEAM FOR FIVB WORLD LEAGUE 2017 :FRA

SETTERS

Benjamin Toniutti

Antoine Brizard

Pierre Pujol

Meliuahel Takaniko

RECEIVERS
Trevor Clevenot

Julien Lyneel

Earvin N'gapeth

Guillaume Quesque

Thibault Rossard

Yacine Louati

MIDDLE BLOCKERS

Jonas Aguenier

Kevin Le Roux

Nicolas Le Goff

Horacio D'Almeida

Daryl Bultor

Barthelemy Chineyeze\

ATTACKERS

Jean Patry

Stephen Boyer

Timothee Carle

LIBEROS
Jenia Grebennikov

Nicolas Rossard

HEAD COACH: :FRA  Laurent Tillie

Team Slovakia get ready for exciting 2017 season 

DSC04245.jpg

Bratislava, Slovakia, May 4, 2017. Slovakia men’s national team have started their preparations for the 2017 season and the players coached by Miroslav Palgut are currently working hard at the Sports and Training Centre in Puchov. Slovakia aim at qualifying for the 2018 edition of the FIVB Men’s Volleyball World Championship via the tournament scheduled for May 23-28 in the Netherlands. After that, they will be hosting the first round robin tournament (Pool B2) on schedule for the FIVB Volleyball World League, which will be taking place in Poprad on June 2-4. Palgut is currently working with 12 players – and more will join later on. 

Juraj Zaťko and Matej Kubš, players from the Slovakian national champions VKP Bystrina NITRA, will join the team next Wednesday. Both outside spiker Matej Paták and setter Branislav Skladaný are still fighting for championship titles with their respective clubs. Paták will contest the final of the French national league on May 6 with CHAUMONT VB 52 and Skladaný is currently busy with the championship series of the Belgian league where he and Noliko MAASEIK are challenging titleholders Knack ROESELARE. 

“We have a lot of experienced players who did not play for the national team the last couple of years. We will figure out what chances we stand during the World Championship qualifier,” said Palgut, who still misses his assistant Andrej Kravárik. “His team fights for progression to the first division of the national league in Greece, and as soon as he finishes his commitments there, he will join us. Martin Pipa works with us meanwhile, thanks to his club Spartak MYJAVA for releasing him,” Palgut said.

František Ogurčák, who did not play the whole season after undergoing shoulder surgery, has returned to the national team after one year. He is most likely to play as a libero. “Fero has a lot of international experience we want to benefit from,” Palgut said. Ogurčák, who became a father to his baby son Max on February 6, has already practiced after his surgery: “It was a nice meeting, I was really glad to see the guys again. I have been working hard lately, but it was different if I compare it to the routines we have with the national team,” he said. “I did not play Volleyball for one year, but I am determined to come back.”

DSC04191.jpg

“We can assess the level of my performance after one or two matches. I have started to spike, but my shoulder does not seem to be in shape to allow me to spike for a whole match, so it is easier to play as libero,” added the 33-year old player. 

The captain of the national team is Emanuel Kohút, who keeps the role he had last year as well. “I had two weeks off after the end of the club season, I got some rest and we started to work hard again. We can see what the potential of our team is only after the first training sessions,” said the experienced blocker who strives for qualification to the World Championship. “We play against weaker opponents at the beginning of the tournament in Holland, but Volleyball is not played on paper. We are more experienced than some other teams, but on the other hand, our team has become younger due to the addition of some younger players. We have to start each match with a clear mind, play with our heart, and I believe we can succeed in achieving our goals,” added Kohút, who recently moved from Radom to Katowice in Poland. 

Team Slovakia will travel straight from the Netherlands to Poprad, where they will contest their first tournament in this year’s World League, taking on the national teams of Japan, Australia and Portugal. These will be the first World League matches to take place at the feet of the High Tatra Mountains. Team Slovakia have been participating in every edition of the World League since 2014 – but they previously played on home soil in Košice and Bratislava. 

After the World League, Slovakia will start preparing for the EUROVOLLEY POLAND 2017, scheduled for later this summer – where the Slovaks will play Italy, Germany and the Czech Republic in Pool B in Szczecin.

:BRA BRAZILIAN NATIONAL VOLLEYBALL TEAM FOR FIVB WORLD LEAGUE 2017 :BRA

SETTERS

Bruno Rezende

Raphael Vieira de Oliveira 

Murilo Radke

RECEIVERS

Ricardo Lucarelli

Lucas Loh

Mauricio Borges Almeida da Silva

Luiz Felipe Fonteles

Douglas Souza da Silva

Jose Maria Rodriguez

MIDDLE BLOCKERS

Isac Santos

Lucas Saatkamp

Eder Carbonera

Mauricio Souza

Otavio Henrique

ATTACKERS

Wallace De Souza

Evandro Guerra

Renan Buiatti

Rafael Rodriguez Araujo

LIBEROS

Mario da Silva Pedreira Junior

Tiago Brendle

Thales Hoss

HEAD COACH: :BRA Renan Dal Zotto

Edited by VolleyRuller96

:IRI IRANIAN NATIONAL VOLLEYBALL TEAM FOR FIVB WORLD LEAGUE 2017 :IRI

SETTERS

Mir Saeid Maroufrakani

Mohamad Taher Vadi

Farhad Salafzoon

RECEIVERS

Farhad Nazari Afsar

Farhad Ghaemi

Mojtaba Mirzajanpour

Milan Ebadipour

Pourya Farazi

Mohammad Javad Manvinejad

MIDDLE BLOCKERS
Mohammad Moousavi Eraghi

Adel Gholami

Saman Faezi

Masoud Gholami

Ali Shafei

Mohammad Fallah

ATTACKERS 

Reza Ghara

Amir Ghafour

Javad Hosseinabadi

LIBEROS

Mahdi Marandi

Mostafa Heidari

HEAD COACH :MNE Igor Kolaković

As in every year,FIVB has released a big guide to the World League http://www.fivb.org/EN/ePublications/mediaguide/volleyball/worldleague/2017/#:)
I really suggest reading it as it is filled with informations about teams, interesting statistics and facts about the tournament etc :yes

Our squad for the first weekend of world league sucks. Too many players being given rest for no reason (Conte for example played chinese league which ended... 2 months ago...)

If we win one game this year I'll be happy.

• 2 weeks later...