website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB World Championship 2018

Gianlu33

14 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

I don't know how they will decide the 2nd round pools...probably 2 teams from pool A vs 2 teams from pool C in Italy and 2 teams from pool B vs 2 teams from pool D in Bulgaria, but which ones:mumble:?

Probably yes

I'm a bit confused about the format, while they talk about 4 groups of 4, the FIVB official website writes something else

The 24 teams will be spread across four pools of six teams playing in around-robin system with the top four teams advancing to a second round of preliminary matches featuring two pools of eight teams playing in four cities.

http://italy-bulgaria2018.fivb.com/en/competition/formula

but when they said 3 matches per team in 2nd round ,it means you won't play all 4 teams of the other group. probably only 2 of them and maybe 1 team from your own group once again,  or maybe I'm completely wrong here !

------------------------

I'm OK with our group even though Group D is probably the toughest one, (all groups look more or less in the same level to be honest) we should able to handle Cuba and Puerto Rico, we never played Finland before but I think we can beat them, out of the best teams in the world we usually play better vs Poland. and Bulgaria (despite being a very good team) is not unbeatable. but being in the same group with France and Brazil in 2nd round is NO good, these two teams usually beat Iran quite easily :d:d

btw we had a very good chance to win a world medal back in 2014, we lost it against Germany, I don't think we can repeat those results this time, but who knows. :d..

hace 4 minutos, MHSN said:

------------------------

I'm OK with our group even though Group D is probably the toughest one, (all groups look more or less in the same level to be honest) we should able to handle Cuba and Puerto Rico, we never played Finland before but I think we can beat them, out of the best teams in the world we usually play better vs Poland. and Bulgaria (despite being a very good team) is not unbeatable. but being in the same group with France and Brazil in 2nd round is NO good, these two teams usually beat Iran quite easily :d:d

btw we had a very good chance to win a world medal back in 2014, we lost it against Germany, I don't think we can repeat those results this time, but who knows. :d..

I think the opposite, for me group D looks the easiest... cuba, finland and puerto rico are very weak compared to what they were 6/7 years ago, Poland and Bulgaria in a very low moment... Iran could sweep that if they recover some team spirit...

As for the second round... if the format is like someone said above, then I think you won't face France or Brazil if you get 1st or 2nd place in the pool (I think you'll be crossing with 3rd and 4th from group B).

18 minutos atrás, Federer91 disse:

There is no easy groups at a WC. I like ours. One thing is for sure, no matter in what form we will be, the matches in Bulgaria will be charged to the wire, because of our fans and i don't envy our opponents. :p

That's why I'm in the crowd for you guys. I know our meeting will be much more attractive in a third round. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This is how the groups will look in 2nd in 3rd group stage ( in the first stage, from groups A-D, 4 national teams will advance)

GROUP E GROUP F GROUP G GROUP H
A-1 B-1 C-1 D-1
B-2 A-2 D-2 B-2
C-3 A-3 D-3 C-3
D-4 C-4 B-4 A-4

From Round 2, all group winners and two best second placed teams qualify

The Groups in 3rd round will be decided by a draw, so each team may again draw the same opponent they played against before, BUT the 2nd placed teams can not be in the same group

GROUP I GROUP J
E/F-1/2 E/F-1/2
G/H-1/2 E/F-1/2
2nd placed team 2nd placed team

Then of course there will be 5th place match, semifinals and medal matches.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

• 1 month later...

The Netherlands will start on my birthday :woohoo:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 6 months later...