website statistics

Men's Road Cycling UCI Giro d'Italia 2017

heywoodu

So, @Agger, @Federer91 and others, who are you expecting as, let's say, top-5 for the first stage? :p 

Personally I guess I'm going to have to go with the masses and choose Gaviria as most likely winner. I'd say this:

1. Gaviria

2. Ewan (although with his god awful style I hope he doesn't finish in the front too often)

3. Greipel

4. Modolo

5. Mareczko

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

So, @Agger, @Federer91 and others, who are you expecting as, let's say, top-5 for the first stage? :p 

Personally I guess I'm going to have to go with the masses and choose Gaviria as most likely winner. I'd say this:

1. Gaviria

2. Ewan (although with his god awful style I hope he doesn't finish in the front too often)

3. Greipel

4. Modolo

5. Mareczko

The big question is whether the teams with slightly lighter sprinters (especially Quick-Step) will try shaking people like Greipel and Ewan on San Pantaleo.

It's a decent hill (3,3 km avg. 5,6%) with percentages up to 12.

I doubt they will be able to do big damage to them, but it will be interesting.

I think I would go with pretty much the same as you. Maybe Nizzolo for 5th.

6 minutes ago, Agger said:

The big question is whether the teams with slightly lighter sprinters (especially Quick-Step) will try shaking people like Greipel and Ewan on San Pantaleo.

It's a decent hill (3,3 km avg. 5,6%) with percentages up to 12.

I doubt they will be able to do big damage to them, but it will be interesting.

I think I would go with pretty much the same as you. Maybe Nizzolo for 5th.

If Nizzolo is back at full fitness I'd put him in there as well, at least ahead of Mareczko. I'm curious about Bora as well, I'm guessing they'll go for Bennett today and not for Pelucchi, since there's more than two meters of uphill. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

1. Gaviria

3. Greipel

4. Modolo

5. Mareczko

1. Greipel

1. Ewan

3. Gaviria

4. Modolo

5. Bennett

I hope too see a nice race, this stage isn't too much flat, i hope to see some fugitives but yes, probably there will be a sprint. 

Giro d'Italia Stage 1: Alghero - Olbia

For the first time Alghero hosts a stage at the Giro. The stage runs along the northern coast of the island. The route is relatively wavy and bumpy, with a long, steady sequence of constant undulations, and a number of short, steep ramps, including 3 categorised climbs in Multeddu, Trinità d’Agultu and San Pantaleo. The latter, less than 20 km from the finish, totals approximately 5 km at an 8% slope over a few kilometres, and maximum gradients are even higher in the first part. A rolling finale leads all the way to Olbia, that unlike Alghero, has already hosted twice the Giro in 1991. Two km before the finish, the route covers a short stretch on stone-slab paved road. There is a last, wide bend 600 m before the finish, leading into the home straight on 8-m wide asphalt road.  

170504_284411_T01_Olbia_alt-1.jpg

Multeddu has a cool rock :d 

170504_284411_Roccia_dellelefante_multed

Zakarin is lighter than my arm..

C_DmNa3WAAAUe1t.jpg

GPM Multeddu (4th category)

4500m (Elevation 182m)

Maximum incline: 8.00%

Medium incline: 3.30%

1. :ITA Cesare Benedetti (3) VIRTUALLY BLUE JERSEY

2. :ALB Eugert Zhupa (2)

3. :POL Marcin Bialoblocki (1)

And "nice" 1st sprint :p 

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

So  @Federer91 and others, who are you expecting as, let's say, top-5 for the first stage? :p 

Probably Greipel ahead of Gaviria. Don't think Ewan would be that good today. Also i'm going out on a limb and saying that Sbaragli would be the best italian today. :p