website statistics

Field Hockey FIH World League 2016 - 2017

Prashanth

On 12/09/2016 at 07:17, LDOG said:

Next stop is in :FRA (only for ladies) with the home team and :AUT:RUS:SUI:WAL. 3 spots to take, I'd say it should be very close between them but with Switzerland as outsiders (first time they participate in women's IIRC). 

:RUS:WAL:FRA qualify for the next round. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More round 1 of world league this week in Mexico. Unfortunately, Panama pulled out of both competitions (here we go again with the last minute withdrawals... FIH should impose sanctions), so we will have 4 and 3 team tournaments M&W respectively.

Apparently both will give only one quota for round 2... even though the numbers for round 2 don't add up, I assume FIH does this because of some rule that says they can't give more than 1 for tournaments with less than 5 teams? I guess they will pick the highest ranked not-qualified teams to complete the field for next round.

:MEX & :USA men and :MEX & :TTO women should compete for the place. I think Mexico will take both.

Today will start the last stage of World League round 1 in Peru. It seems that PAHF also decided that it will double as the South American Championship.... so it will also be the first time Argentina will not win it  :mumble:

Curiously, :BRA men will not participate, guess they had enough hockey for this year?... the women's team will be present though. We will also have absolute debut in Hockey for  :ECU if i'm not mistaken.

BTW i'm surprised by how developed the peruvian federation is in terms of social media: they have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube channel and in all of them they post content regularly :yikes:there will be even livestream available for this tournament (!). It's much better than what I have seen from chilean, uruguayan or brazilian federations who in theory should be more interested in Hockey than Peru...

One quota available in Men's and two in Women's. Not much mystery here, :CHI should win both tournaments and :URU should take 2nd quota in W. 

As I expected, the Mexican men's team blew their chances by losing to Barbados and now the ticket for next round is almost granted for USA.

On the women's side, only a true catastrophe could prevent the women from advancing to Round 2.

• 3 weeks later...

World League Semifinals draw (5-6 quota for World Cup 2018 available in each tournament):

MEN

London - :ARG:NED:IND:ENG:KOR:PAK + 4 teams from Round 2

Johannesburg - :AUS:GER:BEL:NZL:ESP:RSA + 4 teams from Round 2

WOMEN

Brussels - :NED:AUS:NZL:CHN:KOR:BEL + 4 teams from Round 2

Johannesburg - :ENG:ARG:USA:GER:JPN:RSA + 4 teams from Round 2

• 2 months later...

Today started in Malaysia the first tournament of World League round 2, which gives two places (and maybe a best 3rd eventually) in semifinal round.

:IRL & :ITA should have no big trouble taking the 2 available places, :MAS should take 3rd, but has to watch out for :WAL 

• 2 weeks later...

:IRL & :MAS advance to semifinal round of women's world league. The latter made an slight upset beating :ITA, who will have now to wait to get a best third place in next round (it is highly likely). Ireland strong team, was close to the olympics and should now qualify for world cup.

I can't imagine other scenario like Spain and India winning or at least getting to the final of their tournaments, which means Italy would be the best third placed team. Along with Spain I'd like to see Poland in the final of Valencia tournament - now the only chance for us to get to the next round and fight for the World Cup quota.