website statistics

Summer Universiade 2017

George_D

Recap of Slovak athletes competing in Day 5

In Athletics

Men´s

100m

Ján Volko finished 2nd in his semifinal with 10.28 and advanced directly to the final. In the final he finished 5th with 10.30 only 0.03 behind the bronze.

400m

Denis Danáč eliminated in the semifinals, finished 7th in his semi with 47.82

400m Hurdles

Jakub Bottlík eliminated in the heats, finished 6th in his heat with 52.57

Hammer Throw

Tomáš Kružliak finished 11th in the final with 66.60 from his 1st attempt

Women´s

100m

Alexandra Bezeková eliminated in the semifinals, hard luck for her finished 5th in her semifinal with 11.60 same time as had the last qualified.

400m Hurdles

Daniela Ledecká eliminated in the heats, finished 5th in her heat with 59.69

Hammer Throw

Veronika Kaňuchová qualified to the final easily with her first attempt 60.45

In Golf

Michal Brezovský is in the men´s category 32nd after Day 1 with 74 (+2), In the women´s competition is Natália Hečková 4th after Day 1 with 71 (-1).

In Swimming

Tomáš Klobučník in 50m Breaststroke, finished 5th in his heat and 35th in overall with a time of 28.80, Vladimír Štefánik in 100m Butterfly finished 7th in his heat 55.84 and 50th in overall, Barbara Bartovičová in 50m Backstroke Women´s was also 7th in her heat with time 32.81 and is ranked 38th overall.

In Table Tennis,

men´s Doubles Jakub Figeľ/Pavol Mego won in 1st round against Hu/Townsend of :AUS  3-2  (-8, 6, -6, 7, 7) and advanced to the 2nd round.

In Taekwondo

Boris Lieskovský in the -74kg category won in first round over Pradeep Dahiya of :IND  21-11, in the 2nd round he lost to Jack Marton of :AUS  6-9

In Tennis

in the Mixed Doubles Simona Parajová/Tomáš Košec won i their opening match in 2nd round against Capadocia/Sabas of :PHI   6-2, 6-0 and advanced to the 3rd Round.

Commentators here were saying a couple of times that this is the biggest sporting event in Taipei history. And that made me think, I really cannot remember any remotely serious event that took place there (not even Olympic qualification tournament or even some Asian championships). And It's not like Taipei doesn't have resources, but I guess politics has A LOT to do with that fact.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Commentators here were saying a couple of times that this is the biggest sporting event in Taipei history. And that made me think, I really cannot remember any remotely serious event that took place there (not even Olympic qualification tournament or even some Asian championships). And It's not like Taipei doesn't have resources, but I guess politics has A LOT to do with that fact.

Yeah, it is pretty hard to do Asian champs or Olympic qualification tournaments when China probably won't show up and will complain about it!

11 hours ago, dcro said:

well, they are regular host for Baseball events (World Baseball Classic, World Cup, the old Intercontinental Cup, Youth World Champs) and for the Volleyball Grand Prix (not the finals, though)...

and recently they hosted Junior and Youth World Champs in Women's Boxing...

but I guess you're right when you write about politics keeping bigger events far away from the Island...:facepalm: