website statistics

Summer Universiade 2017

George_D

Recap of Slovak Athletes competing in Day 4

In Athletics:

Mens

100m

Ján Volko advanced to the 100m Semifinals. He won this morning his 1st round heat with a time 10.51, later he won also his 2nd round heat with a time 10.31

Šimon Bujna finished 4th with 10.70 and did not qualified for the 2nd round.

Triple Jump

Tomáš Veszelka managed to qualify to the final with his last attempt 15.92

400m

Denis Danáč finished 2nd in his heat and advanced directly to the semis with time 47.50

Hammer Throw

Tomáš Kružliak without any problem reached (the incredibly stupid qualifying mark of 60.00m :lol:) with his 1st attempt 66.44 and advanced to the final.

Womens

100m

Alexandra Bezeková advanced to the semifinals, firstly she won her 1st round heat with 11.81, then later she finished 3rd in her 2nd round heat with 11.67 and advanced directly to the semis.

In Judo, Men´s Open category, Matej Hajas lost in 1st round to Sugarjargal Boldpurev of :MGL

In Swimming, Vladimír Štefánik finished 55th in the 100m Freestyle Men´s with a time of 51,54.  Silvia Lászlová managed to win her heat in the 100m Butterfly Women´s by 1:03,76 but in overall finished 32nd.

In Taekwondo, Dávid Sajko lost in 1st round of the sub 80kg category to Hidenori Ebata of :JPN  1-19.

In Tennis, Our last participant in the singles finished his journey, Tomáš Pavlovský lost in mens singles 3rd round to the 3rd seeded Shintaro Imai of :JPN  4-6, 3-6.

In the men´s Doubles Tomáš Košec/Tomáš Pavlovský lost to Mounder/Sommir of :SUI  6-4, 6-7 (5) and 7-10

In Weightlifting, Peter Poláček in the B group of the -85kg unfortunately finished the competition already after the Snatch without any mark after 3 failures in all his 3 attempts

19 horas atrás, juddy96 disse:

Taiwanese gymnast beats Verniaiev and takes an international gold medal, what odds would you have had on that a few years ago @thiago_simoes

I would say this would never have happened. :lol: Life is full of surprises. His routine is gorgeous and he deserved that gold medal!

Now, about Dominican Republic, Nin Reyes is MILES ahead of Yamilet Peña in execution. He knows what he is doing, while Yamilet was just going crazy everytime and hoping for the best (i.e., not kill herself). Reyes' first vault is the hardest vault in the world. And he has a very nice execution. Maybe he is going to fight for a medal at the World Championships!

Edited by thiago_simoes

15 horas atrás, vlad disse:

Agree:yesBut overall Iordache deserved the gold. I'm positively impressed by Teramoto:thumbup: To be honest I didn't expected to be on podium but she did a great job here. And yes, Black's score on floor is a bit unfair...

Teramoto is way past her prime, but it's nice to see her going for broke in international competition. Iordache is still not in perfect shape, but she is surely going to challenge for gold in the All-Around and Balance Beam at the World Championships. I'm particularly eager for her to win gold in the all-around while Ponor earns a gold medal on beam. 

In fact, there are only five gymnasts I can seriosly see fighting for all-around medals at the World Championships: Iordache, any two American girls, Black and Rebeca Andrade. Maybe Kovacs from Hungary is also a threat for a medal, but I still don't see it unless she upgrades some of her routines.

40 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I would say this would never have happened. :lol: Life is full of surprises. His routine is gorgeous and he deserved that gold medal!

Now, about Dominican Republic, Nin Reyes is MILES ahead of Yamilet Peña in execution. He knows what he is doing, while Yamilet was just going crazy everytime and hoping for the best (i.e., not kill herself). Reyes' first vault is the hardest vault in the world. And he has a very nice execution. Maybe he is going to fight for a medal at the World Championships!

The commentators kept talking about the Japanese coach that Taiwan brought in to help their program before their home Universiade, they went from basically nothing to 4 individual apparatus finals (by 4 different gymnasts!) and one gold at a high quality competition!

Edited by juddy96