website statistics

Figure Skating at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

uk12points

vor 23 Minuten schrieb orangeman:

If Germany can get an extra gold in luge relay, and Norway can get extra golds in x-country relays and the Dutch can get more golds in team speed skating, we can have one in team figure skating.  

As a Canadian, we're not really strong at the events where one person can win 4, 5, 6 medals (biathlon, x-country, even speed skating).  Most of our athletes only have one shot, short track being the one exception.  It's nice for us to get a little bone finally.  If we can put up with certain countries getting golds for 15km races, 15.2 km races, 15 km race but this time skiing a little differently, etc., then you guys can put up with us getting one gold in a team event.  

My problem is that the team result is basically only an addition of the individual performances, right? Maybe it's a bit hard to express, but in other team events it's more like a relay, where your position depends on the results of your teammates. For example in biathlon relay you have to start with a disadvantage of x seconds if your teammate finished x seconds behind the leader and then you have to overtake athletes ahead of you and you probably feel additional pressure by having to overtake the athletes ahead of you, so it's a different situation every time, but in the figure skating team it doesn't really seem to be like that. Don't get me wrong, i think this event is more competitive than luge relay and figure skating is far more popular than luge, so it's is only fair that it has more events, i am just not sure whether the team event is really a fitting "format" for figure skating.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

My problem is that the team result is basically only an addition of the individual performances, right? Maybe it's a bit hard to express, but in other team events it's more like a relay, where your position depends on the results of your teammates. For example in biathlon relay you have to start with a disadvantage of x seconds if your teammate finished x seconds behind the leader and then you have to overtake athletes ahead of you and you probably feel additional pressure by having to overtake the athletes ahead of you, so it's a different situation every time, but in the figure skating team it doesn't really seem to be like that. Don't get me wrong, i think this event is more competitive than luge relay and figure skating is far more popular than luge, so it's is only fair that it has more events, i am just not sure whether the team event is really a fitting "format" for figure skating.

I think they could do it better, with the long program gaining more points.  There's always room for improvement.  

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

There's a bit more strategy in the team event.Finishing first in a stage isn't the goal, finishing ahead of a certain athlete(s) is the goal (sometimes that goal ends up being the same). This could mean an athlete can perform a simpler routine, sometimes they may have to perform a harder routine. I feel the points should be 10-8-6-4-2 in the free skate, Canada more or less had gold locked up after the short program because we needed two of our skaters to screw up to fail to win.