• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Xander said:

Thanks, I had completely forgotten that I ever read about them :d 

Well, they never competed in official IBU competition on snow I think, so we might see a first time about that coming from Brazil next season (or the season after that) :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, Xander said:

Valya denied info about her pregnancy :lol:

She's not with the girls because she's recovering from constant health problems.

She plans to come back in January.

I hope she'll make her come back in January in the IBU Cups then instead of directly into the World Cups :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Alright, the Brazilians are travelling to Caviahue (Neuquén province) in Argentina today, where they'll have a 10-day IBU camp.

Present for Brazil will of course be the girls Bruna Moura and Gabi Neres, but the (in my opinion) awesome news is that young cross-country skiers Altaïr Firmino and Lucas Martins will join them :cheer:

Altaïr Firmino

16 years, he'll be 17 in October. His highlight was of course participating in the Winter Youth Olympics earlier this year in Lillehammer, where he beat a Hungarian, Danish, Croatian, Turkish, Mongolian and Chilean athlete in the cross-country cross qualifications. In cross-country and rollerskiing competitions he has already very clearly beaten both Fabrizio Bourguignon and Leandro Lutz, two of the 'first generation' of Brazilian biathletes.

Lucas 'Luquinhas' Martins

17 years, he''ll be 18 in November. Just like Altaïr he was among the group of young skiers travelling to Ushuaia (Argentina) one year ago, to make his debut on snow. He was 'fighting' with Altaïr last season to decide who would get the ticket for the Youth Olympics, but losing that fight of course won't stop him going for his goals :)

As I understood it, both are planning to start picking up biathlon, but not entirely make a 100% switch away from cross-country skiing. At least for the next couple of years they'll likely do both, like most Brazilian biathletes do. Nonetheless, it is the plan that they will eventually start in IBU Cups and I guess (though that wasn't confirmed to me, so it's mostly speculation) we might see them in youth/junior world championships as well within the next few years. 

New male Brazilian biathlon blood, vamos :d  

21 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Alright, the Brazilians are travelling to Caviahue (Neuquén province) in Argentina today, where they'll have a 10-day IBU camp.

Present for Brazil will of course be the girls Bruna Moura and Gabi Neres, but the (in my opinion) awesome news is that young cross-country skiers Altaïr Firmino and Lucas Martins will join them :cheer:

Altaïr Firmino

16 years, he'll be 17 in October. His highlight was of course participating in the Winter Youth Olympics earlier this year in Lillehammer, where he beat a Hungarian, Danish, Croatian, Turkish, Mongolian and Chilean athlete in the cross-country cross qualifications. In cross-country and rollerskiing competitions he has already very clearly beaten both Fabrizio Bourguignon and Leandro Lutz, two of the 'first generation' of Brazilian biathletes.

Lucas 'Luquinhas' Martins

17 years, he''ll be 18 in November. Just like Altaïr he was among the group of young skiers travelling to Ushuaia (Argentina) one year ago, to make his debut on snow. He was 'fighting' with Altaïr last season to decide who would get the ticket for the Youth Olympics, but losing that fight of course won't stop him going for his goals :)

As I understood it, both are planning to start picking up biathlon, but not entirely make a 100% switch away from cross-country skiing. At least for the next couple of years they'll likely do both, like most Brazilian biathletes do. Nonetheless, it is the plan that they will eventually start in IBU Cups and I guess (though that wasn't confirmed to me, so it's mostly speculation) we might see them in youth/junior world championships as well within the next few years. 

New male Brazilian biathlon blood, vamos :d  

Glad to hear Brazilian biathlon is doing well! Vamos into 2016/7! :d

2 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Glad to hear Brazilian biathlon is doing well! Vamos into 2016/7! :d

Who knows, with a bit of luck we might see a Moura/Neres/Firmino/Martins mixed relay at the highest level in 5-6 years :d 

I'm sure the girls can reach that level, of course it's hard to say about the guys for now :p 

I'm guessing they have arrived around now (they would land in Neuquen around midnight and still had a trip to the actual biathlon site to go, arriving in the middle of the night must be great preparation..). Hopefully there'll be decent internet down there, because I really can't wait to hear about the shooting results they'll have while training with Swedish B-coach Tobias Torgersen there. Keep in mind, they basically don't ever shoot in Brazil, although Bruna has been trying to gain access to the shooting range where her coach (Leandro Ribela) shoots/shot :)

But of course I'm especially curious to see how the guys will do in their first shooting ever!