website statistics

Biathlon 2015 - 2016 Discussion Thread

heywoodu

This also shows how incredibly important it will be whether or not there will be reallocation of unused quotas for the Olympics...

For example in the women's list, to get the last of the 5-6 quotas with no reallocation, an athlete would need around 91 points.

However, if there is reallocation and for example the first 3 non top-22 nations get some of the unused quotas, suddenly 180-190 points could theoretically be enough, which is an incredibly huge difference..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

A real genius has made an Excel sheet for me with which I can calculate and update the IBU Qualifying Points List after every result with only 2-3 minutes of work per competition :bowdown:

This will be good, since IBU never publishes this list, even though it is so extremely important for the small nations (it decides qualifying quota for the Olympics and World Championships, for example). 

Anyway, all results of last season are entered and here are some results. It will consists of 4 lists in this post. 

For all lists, remember that there's a maximum of 2 quotas per country.

As for the Olympics, it doesn't decide anything now, but this is just to show that next season I can update the list after each and every World Cup or IBU Cup, which will be great (especially if you're a fan of smaller nations like, say, Brazil :p ) 

--------------------------

- List of all women from countries outside the World Cup Nations Cup top-22 - the best 5 or 6 of these would qualify quota places for the Olympics (of course these quotas aren't decided yet, it's only how it would be if the Olympic quotas would be decided now)  

Hide contents

fbba6002f2.png

4d989fd146.png

- Same thing, but for men

Hide contents

7d3bdde1c1.png

fc54989fc7.png

f0043be36b.png

- List of all women from countries outside the World Cup Nations Cup top-30 - the best 10 of these qualify quota places for the 2017 World Championships

Hide contents

336dcd895d.png

- Same thing, but for men

Hide contents

bef22dd541.png

Finally we have a ranking list :bowdown:

7 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Finally we have a ranking list :bowdown:

All Italian men on the list (you have to see the points x100, there's a little error in the Excel that doesn't do that automatically)

f6bd8e9fd8.png

And the women (these points are already correct, no multiplying needed):

f4363e97be.png

:p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Bruna Moura's ( :BRA ) unofficial but personal goal for next season: score less than 150 IBU points in at least one competition and so qualifiying for the World Championships in Hochfilzen :) 

If she manages to do that, which will be very hard but not impossible, she is very much on track for Olympic qualification I believe :yes

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Bruna Moura's ( :BRA ) unofficial but personal goal for next season: score less than 150 IBU points in at least one competition and so qualifiying for the World Championships in Hochfilzen :) 

If she manages to do that, which will be very hard but not impossible, she is very much on track for Olympic qualification I believe :yes

I may have missed it, but was is your obsession with Brazils biathlon team? :d

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

I may have missed it, but was is your obsession with Brazils biathlon team? :d

Short version: Bruna is basically my best friend :p 

Longer version: To elaborate a little: having a Brazilian girlfriend a couple of years ago made me support them at the 2010 Winter Olympics. In 2014 I didn't have a Brazilian girlfriend anymore, but I still supported them at the Winter Olympics. In the beginning of 2015 I wrote a big article and "e-mail interview" with Leandro Ribela about his project to help poor children get involved in social activities through sports/roller skiing. Bruna somehow noticed this article on Facebook, starting talking to me there during the biathlon Youth/Junior World Championships in Raubichi where she was participating (her first international competition) and since then we basically became the best of friends and talk every day on Whatsapp/phone/Skype :d (that's why I travelled all the way to Austria in December to cheer for them during an IBU Cup with only 6 or 7 spectactors watching :lol:)

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Short version: Bruna is basically my best friend :p 

Longer version: To elaborate a little: having a Brazilian girlfriend a couple of years ago made me support them at the 2010 Winter Olympics. In 2014 I didn't have a Brazilian girlfriend anymore, but I still supported them at the Winter Olympics. In the beginning of 2015 I wrote a big article and "e-mail interview" with Leandro Ribela about his project to help poor children get involved in social activities through sports/roller skiing. Bruna somehow noticed this article on Facebook, starting talking to me there during the biathlon Youth/Junior World Championships in Raubichi where she was participating (her first international competition) and since then we basically became the best of friends and talk every day on Whatsapp/phone/Skype :d (that's why I travelled all the way to Austria in December to cheer for them during an IBU Cup with only 6 or 7 spectactors watching :lol:)

Wow, great story :clap:All the best to them then and one day in the World Cup. :yes It would be a lot of fun having Brazil in a winter sport. 

3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Wow, great story :clap:All the best to them then and one day in the World Cup. :yes It would be a lot of fun having Brazil in a winter sport. 

World Cup is the big goal apart from the Olympics eventually :d 

It's not very realistic that she'll reach the World Cup next season though, because for that you need to have at least one result of 125 IBU points or less and that's normally just too much for next season. We're both expecting the Brazilian federation to set a result of 180-200 points as goal (last season it was a result below 280 points and she got 244 in Obertilliach), but given the fact that she's more than doubling her training input this summer and she should be in possession of a laser rifle to train shooting at home within a month or so, I think one result below 150 points is very hard, but possible :) 

So far only Jacqueline Mourão made it to the World Cup for Brazil (male/female), but when she started in biathlon she was already a very experienced cross-country skier. We can't forget Bruna's first time ever on ski's in the snow was only in August 2014 if I'm not mistaken, so there's still a huge room for improvement. Besides that, she's already shooting at pretty much the same level as Mourão's best days and with only a bit of improvement, she can already be the best shooter ever in Brazilian biathlon. 

Edited by heywoodu

By the way, the above is also one of the reasons why I write updates here. Personally I would like to get updates about, I don't know, Chilean biathletes if someone had "inside information" on them, simply because you never hear anything about that and it's already easy to find information about biathletes of big nations. The other reason is that I show her every supporting post people write here (already quite a few), because every bit of support helps in motivating ("Wow, some random person online is cheering for me...awesome!") and she'll need every tiny bit of help to get to Pyeongchang 2018 :d 

Edited by heywoodu

1 week until May, our sports center/biathlon base on the West:

sJ5k8WGN79k.jpg

I cringe every time our NOC president says "but Ukraine is not a winter country" :mumble:

ps. RIP Klaus Siebert :cry:

Edited by Xander