website statistics

Rhythmic Gymnastics 2017 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

• 2 weeks later...
2 horas atrás, Gianlu33 disse:

Yana Kudryavtseva, 3 time world champion and silver medal in Rio, has announced her retirement :( 

This is weird. Two weeks ago Viner (head coach for Russia) said Kudryavtseva had retired. Kudryavtseva herself said she was not retiring anytime soon, and Viner said again that she had retired. I believe Kudryavtseva was forced to retire, since it was clear that Viner would not allow her to compete for Russia again.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazing season start :bowdown: In the individual all-around Aleksandra Soldatova sing the 1st season win, followed by another russian Averina, 3rd place for an eternal Halkina.

Bulgaria won the teams competition followed by a great Italy. 

No podium for Russia in team event :yikes: They made a big mistake yesterday :( 

• 4 months later...

So, the FIG World Cup Series is over. I've closely followed it since April, and now that it's over, the only major event left this year is the World Championships (and the Grand Prix Final, though this is not an official FIG event and I've never been very enthusiastic about it).

About the World Cup Series, unsurprisingly the Russians dominated the season. Not only Dina and Arina Averina, but especially Soldatova and, to a certain degree, Bravikova and Selezneva. Even Khonina and Lugovskikh who came out of nowhere managed to win gold medals for Russia. Amazing. 

The real surprises here are the Bulgarian gymnasts. Vladinova finally managed to win medals easily, and I'm glad Taseva, Kaleyn and Zafirova also got medals. Belarus also has some amazing gymnasts, especially Harnasko (my favorite) and Halkina. Kudos to Evchik for getting a medal as well.

The performances of individual gymnasts from Ukraine are the biggest disappointment of the season. Diachenko is not bad, but she's not on par with the likes of Bessonova or Rizatdinova. Still, I'm glad Diachenko got a medal, and even Mazur also managed to earn one. But Ukraine has a long way to go.

Israel did pretty well with many medals earned by Victoria Filanovsky and Linoy Ashram. I'm surprised their group was absent all year, though. Not sure about what's going on. 

The United States earned medals with Zeng and, surprisingly, Generalova. I believe Generalova is the first person of African descent to ever win an individual medal at the World Cup series ever (Francielly Pereira from Brazil was the first one, as far as I can remember, in 2013; but she was part of the group event). The World Cup exists since 1983 and I might be mistaken, but still it goes on to show how difficult it is for a non-white person to earn medals in this sport, so kudos to Generalova all the same. 

Also, first ever medals for Kaho Minagawa (Japan) and Sabina Ashirbayeva (Kazakhstan). Both are amazingly talented, and I'm happy for them. Speaking of Japan, they have become one of the top contenders for a group all-around medal at the World Championships, and I'm rooting for them.

Spain is going through some serious renovation, but the group still got a bronze medal somehow. They have some work to do, but I hope they are ready for 2020.

Italy is probably stronger than ever in the group event, and they even have a talented individual gymnast who earned many medals this season. Looking good.

Salome Pazhava from Georgia has just recovered from injury, and I reeeeally hope she looks confident at the World Championships. My favorite gymnast, ever. I know she will not challenge for a medal at Worlds, but all I want is for her to go back on track.

Finally, Brazil was a late show at the World Cup, with only one participation, but still enough to make it to a final. Hoping for a top 12 finish at the World Championships in the group all-around. This would be great at this point for us. 

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

So, the FIG World Cup Series is over. I've closely followed it since April, and now that it's over, the only major event left this year is the World Championships (and the Grand Prix Final, though this is not an official FIG event and I've never been very enthusiastic about it).

About the World Cup Series, unsurprisingly the Russians dominated the season. Not only Dina and Arina Averina, but especially Soldatova and, to a certain degree, Bravikova and Selezneva. Even Khonina and Lugovskikh who came out of nowhere managed to win gold medals for Russia. Amazing. 

The real surprises here are the Bulgarian gymnasts. Vladinova finally managed to win medals easily, and I'm glad Taseva, Kaleyn and Zafirova also got medals. Belarus also has some amazing gymnasts, especially Harnasko (my favorite) and Halkina. Kudos to Evchik for getting a medal as well.

The performances of individual gymnasts from Ukraine are the biggest disappointment of the season. Diachenko is not bad, but she's not on par with the likes of Bessonova or Rizatdinova. Still, I'm glad Diachenko got a medal, and even Mazur also managed to earn one. But Ukraine has a long way to go.

Israel did pretty well with many medals earned by Victoria Filanovsky and Linoy Ashram. I'm surprised their group was absent all year, though. Not sure about what's going on. 

The United States earned medals with Zeng and, surprisingly, Generalova. I believe Generalova is the first person of African descent to ever win an individual medal at the World Cup series ever (Francielly Pereira from Brazil was the first one, as far as I can remember, in 2013; but she was part of the group event). The World Cup exists since 1983 and I might be mistaken, but still it goes on to show how difficult it is for a non-white person to earn medals in this sport, so kudos to Generalova all the same. 

Also, first ever medals for Kaho Minagawa (Japan) and Sabina Ashirbayeva (Kazakhstan). Both are amazingly talented, and I'm happy for them. Speaking of Japan, they have become one of the top contenders for a group all-around medal at the World Championships, and I'm rooting for them.

Spain is going through some serious renovation, but the group still got a bronze medal somehow. They have some work to do, but I hope they are ready for 2020.

Italy is probably stronger than ever in the group event, and they even have a talented individual gymnast who earned many medals this season. Looking good.

Salome Pazhava from Georgia has just recovered from injury, and I reeeeally hope she looks confident at the World Championships. My favorite gymnast, ever. I know she will not challenge for a medal at Worlds, but all I want is for her to go back on track.

Finally, Brazil was a late show at the World Cup, with only one participation, but still enough to make it to a final. Hoping for a top 12 finish at the World Championships in the group all-around. This would be great at this point for us. 

I think that Soldatova will be definitely eliminated from the national list after the awful performance in Minsk. it's the second season in a raw that she is the 4th russian, i think.

2 horas atrás, Gianlu33 disse:

I think that Soldatova will be definitely eliminated from the national list after the awful performance in Minsk. it's the second season in a raw that she is the 4th russian, i think.

I'm not so sure she will be discarded that easily. She's good, but she's not been doing as good as she can lately. Maybe she will be given a second chance? I mean, Mamun was disgusting to watch, but Viner insisted on making her a star and she improved a lot. But Soldatova definitely gives me Kapranova vibes, and this is never a good thing. 

The worst thing this year is knowing Bravikova will not be at the World Championships. She could be world champion on one or two apparatus, but the Averinas will get the job done all the same to Russia, and Bravikova will have to sit home for the rest of the year.

• 2 months later...

Margarita Mamun, the Olympic all-around rhythmic gymnastics champion, has retired at the age of 22.

Very sad news for me, I love her, she is really a good gymnastic! Probably the level in Russia has become too high to support for her :(

Good luck for the future Margarita