website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2017

Usually I wait until all the songs have been chosen so that I could start listening to them, so I set aside the first weekend of voting available to host a listening session. Next weekend I relisten to the shortlisted songs. The weekend after that, which is usually before the deadline, is when I send in my votes. I'm still on the second stage tho. It's all about time and your gut feeling at the moment.

vor 37 Minuten schrieb Werloc:

I can explain why I take time to vote during a longer period of time.

Firstly, it is proven that you need to listen to a song more than 2,3 times to fully experience the effect of it and to realise its full potential.

Secondly, I make 3-4 day breaks after every consecutive re-listening in order to see how time changes my perception of a song.

Also, ranking your selected songs on different days help you achieve more well-rounded results, because there are always mood swings (after that you can averagely see which songs constantly do well and which tend to jump around in your rankings)

Then, after you have your twelve, there's another ranking required, because your brain gets accustomed to the order in which the songs are played, so you mix them up to see how they rank once the listening order is not specific

Final listen to the top 12 to see that you are certainly happy with your decisions and you don't need to regret your votes after 2 days of sending them.

Long story short, if your song got points from me, it travelled a long and tough road through my selection process :d

At the moment I am down to 12, but I'm having trouble shaking off 13th and 14th places as they deserve the points as well.

This might all make sense, but it sounds very time-consuming and like a LOT of stress, i think i'll stick with my current method. I guess you are trying to figure out which song is "best" by analyzing it, other people might be voting more intuitively. I guess as long as you spend the same amount of time to judge each song, its fair one way or the other. In the end no one will ever be able to judge all songs objectively, because you are influenced by all your experiences, without even noticing it.

For example i have no problem to admit that i am completely biased when it comes to Fleetwood Mac songs, no song by any other artist would get more than 11 points from me if a Fleetwood Mac song would be entered in the contest, no matter how good this other song might be. I guess one of the most difficult parts is to judge songs independently from the artist who wrote it and the language it has been written in (I think i will never give more than 3 or 4 points to a song in a slavic language, because listening to those languages is causing me phyiscal pain).

Edit: Some people might also judge songs solely on the accompanying music video, the lyrics or the looks of the (female) singer, without even listening to the song. I think there is nothing wrong with that method. I didnt find a rule that states that you have to judge the songs based on the music.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I listening in two times all the songs and after that i make 3 groups: 1) song sure for the top 12, 2) song in the middle table which can be in the 12, 3) The blacklist for songs i dont like too much.

I continue with the second group and define which go to the first group, after that the final 12 ranking (the last are always come from the second group)

6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

This might all make sense, but it sounds very time-consuming and like a LOT of stress, i think i'll stick with my current method. I guess you are trying to figure out which song is "best" by analyzing it, other people might be voting more intuitively. I guess as long as you spend the same amount of time to judge each song, its fair either one way or the other. In the end no one will ever be able to judge all songs objectively, because you are influenced by all your experiences, without even noticing it.

For example i have no problem to admit that i am completely biased when it comes to Fleetwood Mac songs, no song by any other artist would get more than 11 points from me if a Fleetwood Mac song would be entered in the contest, no matter how good this other song might be. I guess one of the most difficult parts is to judge songs independently from the artist who wrote it and the language it has been written in (I think i will never give more than 3 or 4 points to a song in a slavic language, because listening to those languages is causing me phyiscal pain).

I guess this just comes from my general love of music, real life experience of judging and respect for the contest. I couldn't do it any other way if I tried :d Though I can completely understand not wanting to spend hours and hours listening and analysing every little part of every song :d

Edited by Werloc

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Werloc:

I guess this just comes from my general love of music, real life experience of judging and respect for the contest. I couldn't do it any other way if I tried :d Though I can completely understand not wanting to spend hours and hours listening and analysing every little part of every song :d

I guess its your love for music and our different levels of "respect" for this contest. Usually i stop listening to a song if i dont like the first 30 seconds or so ... then i am just like "Nah ... i'd rather listen to some songs i like, instead of wasting my time with something i dont enjoy"

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Usually I listen to the songs only 1 or 2 times (1 time if I hated it or if I already know how much I like it) and I never look at the video clips since it doesn't affect the song and all the songs don't have a video clip.

But even if I make my votes in one evening/afternoon, it still takes time and we don't all have that much free time, even if we like participating to the contest. :) 

7 minutes ago, bestmen said:
  Hide contents

i repost it here, i spent 1 hour to make it , don't want to see it in lost  :lol:

the 6 users already voted  seem spending a good time on the London Eye .......while the rest  :facepalm::mumble:

23048_kkkkkkkkkkkkkk.gif

when you will do one for me, I want one at Baker street :rolleyes: