DAY -1

Saturday, January 28th, 2017

(GMT +6)

12:30 :  ICE HOCKEY - Men's Preliminary Round - Slovakia vs Great Britain

16:00 :  ICE HOCKEY - Men's Preliminary Round - Japan vs Latvia

16:30 :  ICE HOCKEY - Women's Preliminary Round - Canada vs China

19:30 :  ICE HOCKEY - Men's Preliminary Round - Kazakhstan vs China

20:00 :  ICE HOCKEY - Women's Preliminary Round - Kazakhstan vs Great Britain

Wikipedia lists Madagascar in the nation list. They told me they wanted to go as 'observer nation', but they have basically no money at all and FISU and the Organizing Committee are outright ignoring them and their requests for some sort of help.

South Africa is on the list on Wikipedia as well, but they've also answered my email today by saying they won't be there. 

Bruna Moura will represent Brazil in cross-country (sadly not in biathlon, but alright). She told me there's one other Brazilian athlete who will be there and she was convinced that it was a speed skater, but I really have no idea who that could be...the guy in Japan and the German/Brazilian guy seem to be too young? :mumble:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wikipedia lists Madagascar in the nation list. They told me they wanted to go as 'observer nation', but they have basically no money at all and FISU and the Organizing Committee are outright ignoring them and their requests for some sort of help.

South Africa is on the list on Wikipedia as well, but they've also answered my email today by saying they won't be there. 

Bruna Moura will represent Brazil in cross-country (sadly not in biathlon, but alright). She told me there's one other Brazilian athlete who will be there and she was convinced that it was a speed skater, but I really have no idea who that could be...the guy in Japan and the German/Brazilian guy seem to be too young? :mumble:

Any such news about Gambia? :d

#banbestmen

15 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Gambia has no athletes. THe organizing committee confirmed directly with me. They are just sending a delegation with officials. 

Maybe something like what Madagascar was planning, but probably has to forget now. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

48 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how did GB have ice hockey teams, in the 2 genders no less. :d Are there really that many nations that refuse to participate in the Universiade? 

Good question :d as I know, there no qualifications, the thing is to have a tournament of max 12 mens teams and 8 womens teams, so they probably just invite the different countries, plus, remember this is about universiade, so it´s not so easy to form a team of students and send them to play a tournament :d we have a university hockey league including teams from Poland, Austria, Czech republic and Hungary, so we have not problems to creat a team.

51 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how did GB have ice hockey teams, in the 2 genders no less. :d Are there really that many nations that refuse to participate in the Universiade? 

I’m pretty sure the teams are here through invitation. College teams are also a bit different so using the world ranking is a bit unfair. At the last Winter Universidad the US women’s team failed to reach the semi-final. An unthinkable feat had it been their true team.