website statistics

Chess Discussion Thread

Quasit

@batbobi c4, Nce6, Bf2

In this position any forward move of the black queen means it's being captured, with only one (Qd4, Bxd4) effecting with the revenge (either by one of the 5 pawns or with the Knight), still, it's an advantage.

That's why the black queen needs to stay at it's place, so the black moves with the e knight. Then we have a few possibilites:
- Nexg5 - which I ignore, moving Be3 - still covering all the forward moves of the black queen - so the knight has two check possibilites: Ngf3+, which ends up with Bxf3, still covering white queen, so it can do that, that's why it goes Ngh3+, which I defend with Kf1. Both knight's moves forward end up with it being captured either by bishop or king with no danger. So the knight moves Nhf4, where it's protected by the e5 pawn.

- Nef4 - which I also respond to with Be3, giving him a chance for a check - as we know Nfh3+ ends with Kf1 and his comeback to Nhf4, the other possibilty is Nfe2+, which I defend with Bxe2, still covering the queen. That's also an advantage, but it opens the c8-h3 diagonal for the black queen, going Qe6, but leading to an attack with bishop coming back Bg4, being covered by the white queen.

As a result, I have an advantage of a captured knight plus with bishop and queen covering each other I can sacrifice the other bishop and even a few pawns to make the black queen unable to capture mine without being captured itself and unable to mate my king, resulting in the draw in the worst scenario of me unable to start playing offensively.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

:HUN Hungary lost its top rated chess player, Rapport will compete under the flag of :ROU Romania at the Candidates tournament. Shame on the Hungarian federation who never provided the kind of budget for Rapport that he needed on the top level. And fuck every Hungarian nationalist asshole who makes an enemy out of him now. I hope he will win the Candidates and prove how much the country lost by not supporting him. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In the not so lovely Bulgarian sports picture lately, we had a gigantic proud moment yesterday. Our women's team won the European Team Chess Championships title. :bowdown: :bowdown: :woohoo:  From 9 matches, we won 7 and had 2 draws. 

The feat is even more special for 2 reasons. One, our whole team, bar our captain, are around 20 years old. And two, this is the first time we are playing in the Team Chess Championships in 10 years, because you guessed it, we don't have a proper Federation and have a 7 year ban from ECU & FIDE.

As a matter of fact we shouldn't have played here, but they gave our team a Wild Card, after the results our young girls are having this year. All other countries agreed to us participating as well.

Captain Antoaneta Stefanova (2417) - former Women's World Champion;

Nurgyul Salimova (2412)- Finalist at this years Chess World Cup and playing in the 2024 Women's Candidates Tournament;

Gergana Peycheva (2287) - 2 Time BG Rapid Chess champion;

Viktoria Radeva (2332) - 3 Time BG National champion;

Beloslava Krasteva (2262) - Bronze medalist at the U20 Women's World Championships this year

The team played the last 3 matches with a player down, as Radeva got sick with a fever and had to spend 2 days at the hospital. 

And all this without a single penny from the country. But today, those Ministers and whatnot were the first to congratulate them... Every chess player is financing their careers with personal finances, sponsors and crowdfunding. I'm ashamed my country doesn't give these brilliant people what they deserve. Maybe this would change now.

Full Euro team summary:

Serbia, Bulgaria Triumph; Carlsen Takes Gold On Board 1

768x432.jpg?_=1700507947

shahmat-shah-nacionalen-otbor-budva-2023

• 1 month later...