Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Prashanth

Badminton 2017 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL    981
Just now, Griff88 said:

Congrats for the first Irish first medal in EC!

The Magees have good potential, since they can put a good fight to some strong Chinese players by playing it to the 3rd set.

They come from a small town near where I live so it's really great to see them to doing so well.

I hope they can qualify for Tokyo!

Dolby    194
41 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

They come from a small town near where I live so it's really great to see them to doing so well.

I hope they can qualify for Tokyo!

Who knows, Magees may qualify in 2 events for Tokyo. 

OlympicIRL    981
20 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Who knows, Magees may qualify in 2 events for Tokyo. 

Maybe even three if their younger brother Joshua develops his game in men's doubles. Unlikely scenario though :d

It's certainly a family affair as their coach is older brother Daniel Magee and another young prospect in the women's game Rachel Darragh is their cousin. All from a small town (and I mean small :d) nearby me, it's a great success story.

Dolby    194
8 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Maybe even three if their younger brother Joshua develops his game in men's doubles. Unlikely scenario though :d

It's certainly a family affair as their coach is older brother Daniel Magee and another young prospect in the women's game Rachel Darragh is their cousin. All from a small town (and I mean small :d) nearby me, it's a great success story.

:fingers:

Dolby    194

Tai Tzu Ying continues her insane run and wins Asia Championships as well. Full list of winners:

MS: Chen Long (:CHN)

WS: Tai Tzu Ying (:TPE)
MD: Li Junhui/ Liu Yuchen (:CHN)

WD: Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (:JPN)

XD: Lu Kai/Huang Yaqiong (:CHN)

Edited by Dolby

vinipereira    944

Having won the Men's Singles competition at the Pan American Championships, Ygor Coelho is the first ever brazilian to win a continental title in Badminton :thumbup:

mrv86    385
2 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Having won the Men's Singles competition at the Pan American Championships, Ygor Coelho is the first ever brazilian to win a continental title in Badminton :thumbup:

Congrats to him and Brazilian fans!

On other results, Canadian team took all other four titles (WS, MD, WD and XD), so no real surprise.

intoronto    405
7 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Congrats to him and Brazilian fans!

On other results, Canadian team took all other four titles (WS, MD, WD and XD), so no real surprise.

Real surprise was Michelle Li losing to another Canadian. Shocking result if you ask me.

mrv86    385
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Real surprise was Michelle Li losing to another Canadian. Shocking result if you ask me.

I agree with you. Li losing in quarterfinals was probably the biggest surprise,

On the other hand, this proves your women's team is getting stronger :yes

intoronto    405
1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

I agree with you. Li losing in quarterfinals was probably the biggest surprise,

On the other hand, this proves your women's team is getting stronger :yes

Still far out of an Olympic medal. After a fluke 4th in London. Li actually beat silver medalist Sindhu at the Commonwealth Games and if she did that in Rio she may have been the silver medalist.

Dolby    194
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Still far out of an Olympic medal. After a fluke 4th in London. Li actually beat silver medalist Sindhu at the Commonwealth Games and if she did that in Rio she may have been the silver medalist.

Li is a good player who is capable of creating an upset or two but do you really think that if she had beaten Sindhu in Rio group stages, she could have defeated Tai Tzu Ying, Wang Yihan and Nozomi Okuhara to win silver medal?

Dolby    194
On 25/04/2017 at 22:15, Dolby said:

My prediction: Denmark will win 4 golds and Marin will win the 5th. 

Damn it, England ruined my prediction. Winners list of European Championships:

MS: Rajiv Ouseph :ENG

WS: Carolina Marin :ESP

MD: Matthias Boe/Carsten Mogensen :DEN

WD: Kamilla Ryter Juhl/Christinna Pedersen :DEN

XD: Chris Adcock/Gabriel Adcock :ENG