website statistics

Equestrian 2017 Discussion Thread

dcro

Competition is becoming rather dull. :AUS Griffiths got 50 penalties for missing the flag. :wacko: And now :IRL Evans getting a refusal after going very fast. :cry:

I feel like there hasn't been a great round for hours... Well, not since Jung went.

#banbestmen

Finally someone broke the spell! :GER Klimke goes 0.4 penalties ahead of Jung. Third placed rider is like 15 penalties behind. :lol:

Still gutted for Griffiths and Evans...

EDIT: Klimke was apparently given 11 penalties for breaking the frangible pin. Spell is still there. :water:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

15 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Ah Jonty :(

I haven't seen the action today but generally I enjoy it when the cross-country is a stern test. I prefer it when CC clear rounds are extremely rare and makes it a proper 3 discipline event.

Such a pitty for him. He had the equal split time as Michael Jung in the second part of the course. But he stayed positive in the interview, and looking forward for the Europeans.

Cathal was super fast today. Only 6.0 penalties!

#banbestmen

16 minutes ago, dcro said:

Such a pitty for him. He had the equal split time as Michael Jung in the second part of the course. But he stayed positive in the interview, and looking forward for the Europeans.

Cathal was super fast today. Only 6.0 penalties!

It's good to see the Irish riders taking a more positive approach to the course. Sometimes I feel our riders play it a bit too safe and rack up bunch of time penalties by not pushing a bit harder. But I guess that's a luxury you only get when you have full confidence that your horse can get you round safe.

Happy to see Cathal bounce back strongly, I feel this is going to be a big learning curve for him :)

Edited by OlympicIRL

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

It's good to see the Irish riders taking a more positive approach to the course. Sometimes I feel our riders play it a bit too safe and rack up bunch of time penalties by not pushing a bit harder. But I guess that's a luxury you only get when you have full confidence that your horse can get you round safe.

Happy to see Cathal bounce back strongly, I feel this is going to be a big learning curve for him :)

Yeah, Clare Abbott was really riding positively today. On some of the most technical fences it looked like she was going twice as fast as some of the others. :d

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, Clare Abbott was really riding positively today. On some of the most technical fences it looked like she was going twice as fast as some of the others. :d

My heart would have been in my mouth if I had been watching :d

:NZL Kiwis saved the second part of the day. Once again they prove they are simply the best on cross-country (not to take anything away from Jung and Klimke). :bowdown:

Standings

:GER Ingrid Klimke 39.6

:GER Michael Jung 40.0

:NZL Andrew Nicholson 40.4

:NZL Tim Price 48.2

:NZL Mark Todd 50.1

Nicholson was the last to go and just needed to be 2 seconds faster to be in the lead! That's unlucky. Price performed the only other clear inside the time round today.

Klimke's 11 penalties were removed after an appeal, and quite rightly so. It didn't look like she broke any frangible pin!

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

12 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Michael Jung and Sam though.... what a performance, what a combination! He deserves to mentioned in any awards ceremony for sportsperson of the year, he is so dominant :bowdown:

That's absolutely true, all superlatives for him. :bowdown:

Though one feels like he needs 4 more Olympic golds and 10 more Badmintons to get they spotlight he deserves.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen