website statistics

Equestrian 2017 Discussion Thread

dcro

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'd say that Jonty Evans, Camilla Speirs, Sarah Ennis and Cathal Daniels are the ones to watch far.

Evans really had an excellent performance in Rio. Ennis and Speirs also had some eye-catching results lately. And, I mean, Camilla Speirs & Jiffy are just the ultimate crowd favourties. :d:bowdown: Cathal had a very promising 4* debut in Pau at the end of last season. His Badminton debut should be exciting. :)

Aoife Clark is also there, but she & Fernhill Adventure seem to be lacking some confidence across the country after some minor injury problems. They have apparently received 20 jumping penalties in XC in all three of their latest competitions. :(

Thanks for the info! Yes Jonty was wonderful in Rio and nice to see many of our top riders here :). I'm especially interested to see how Cathal Daniels performs, just competing here will be a vital learning curve for him. Hopefully our larger participation at events like this is an encouraging sign of our future direction in eventing.We had good junior teams in recent years so I hope this will translate somehow to senior level in future.

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Thanks for the info! Yes Jonty was wonderful in Rio and nice to see many of our top riders here :). I'm especially interested to see how Cathal Daniels performs, just competing here will be a vital learning curve for him. Hopefully our larger participation at events like this is an encouraging sign of our future direction in eventing.We had good junior teams in recent years so I hope this will translate somehow to senior level in future.

Hopefully it will finally click for the Irish team at some big championships in the future. They lacked some luck in Rio, though I still remember how impressed I was back then with their dressage performance. They were 5th after dressage, only 13 penalties behind the leading team. Such performance would just be unthinkable few years ago.

#banbestmen

25 minutes ago, dcro said:

Hopefully it will finally click for the Irish team at some big championships in the future. They lacked some luck in Rio, though I still remember how impressed I was back then with their dressage performance. They were 5th after dressage, only 13 penalties behind the leading team. Such performance would just be unthinkable few years ago.

Yes, our dressage scores improved so much and i remember thinking we actually had a chance of a team medal (we are usually outside top 8 after dressage phase :d). But we had a nightmare in the cross country which is usually where we gain ground so everything seemed backwards for us in Rio.

I don't know what to expect to be honest in this Olympic cycle. After Rio my confidence and hopes were dented that it seems like we start back at square one again.

So the Rolex Kentucky 3-day event just started today, with the first day of dressage.

Don't know why, but every time I watch this event it's gloomy and windy in Kentucky. This year seems to be no exception. :d

#banbestmen

That was a decent round for :MEX Daniela Moguel & Cecelia, relatively speaking. :) However, cross-country Saturday is definitely the strong point of these two. :cheer:

Just few more to go on day 1. :FRA Maxime Livio is the current leader with 44.6 penalties.

#banbestmen

It looked like Livio was gonna stay there, but the last two riders said "no, no". Excellent performance for :CAN Jess Phoenix to end the day!

This competition also marks the introduction of the new dressage tests into eventing. Some elements have been added, some removed, but overall it looks very nice. Perhaps there will be a few alterations, but looks like these ones will be for Tokyo, among other events.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Andrea Baxter just finished her round with a horse Indy 500... I think @heywoodu would approve that name. :d

Absolutely :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Mr. Medicott is competing here, that's just amazing. :bowdown: This horse competed all the way back at the 2008 Olympics, and actually, he is the only 2008 Olympic horse that still competes internationally.

Leader after dressage phase is Clark Montgomery, with an amazing score of 33.6

#banbestmen

6 hours ago, dcro said:

Andrea Baxter just finished her round with a horse Indy 500... I think @heywoodu would approve that name. :d

Well, the best summary is the quote from Beach Boys' song "Fun, Fun, Fun" (later covered by Status Quo feat. Beach Boys): "She makes the Indy 500 look like a Roman chariot race now" :d