website statistics

Equestrian 2017 Discussion Thread

dcro

First 8 have gone in dressage Grand Prix, it's time for judging break. Here are some of my impressions.

:ARG Manfredi - Very, very nice performance. Some mistakes in canter tour unfortunately dropped her by 1-2%, but she was very happy. :)

:NED Gal - Very correct work, though sometimes tense. No big mistakes.

:SUI Krinke-Susmelj - Something weird happened in the first half-pass. No big mistakes after that, but not quite their very best.

:BLR Karasiova - :cry: I can't believe I saw this nightmare. I guess pressure ate her inside, as this was her very first competition with Arlekino outside of Russian-speaking country. She basically didn't even try to perform first piaffe, probably got 0s from all judges for both piaffe and transitions. Other two piaffes were quite bad, but at least she tried to perform them. What a shame, despite all this they showed good talent...

:BRA Marcari Oliva - Struggled with transitions and walks, but overall a decent showing. Interestingly, he got the biggest cheer from the crowd.

:GBR Hester - No mistakes, he is the leader. He makes it look easy, but I think a bit overscored. Extended trots were very conservative.

:DEN Tofte Olesen - Similar to Manfredi. Very nice, but mistakes dropped her a bit. Pitty, so close to 70%.

:NED Witte-Vrees - Was right on-par with Hester in the first half, but then some mistakes started, dropping her down.

9d40ac835c8546309d5d44ae462b3cdf.png

The worst part for Karasiova is that she failed to reach 60%. Everyone qualifies for freestyle at the WC Finals, but provided that they have at least 60%. So she travelled half the World for this nightmare. :facepalm:

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Great competition in the second half!

That's it for me today, sadly I can't quite watch today the jumping opener starting at 2:00 AM Central European Time. But I'll make sure I'll watch other rounds live. :d

Analysis of the second half.

:USA Perry-Glass & Dublet - Very clean, but not always spectacular. She finishes 7th with 73%

:USA Peters & Rosamunde - Few spectacular moments and many, many mistakes. He is in 8th place with 72%

:IRL Reynolds & Vancouver - They just never stop improving. :bowdown: 5th place! Who knows, podium on Saturday is not impossible!

:AUS Oatley & Du Soleil - Very expressive trot. One of their best performances of the season. She finishes 10th with 71%.

:NZL Williamson & Dejavu - Another sad story... :( Dejavu appeared to be quite strong today so they made a lot of mistakes. Moreover, as soon as Wendi ended her performance and relaxed, Dejavu jumped. Commentators said something like: "I can't imagine how long these 6 minutes felt to Wendi. She had to work incredibly hard to keep him calm..." Anyway, they initially got 63%, but then got eliminated so they also won't compete in freestyle...

:RUS Merkulova & Mister X - Not their best, but okay. They finish 9th.

:USA Graves & Verdades - All superlatives.:bowdown: 2nd place with 79%

:GER Werth & Weihegold - One bigger mistake, but mostly amazing. Winner with 82%

It's interesting to see first two horses being completely differently built. Weihegold is very small, like some tiny dancer. Verdades is on the other hand like a powerful gymnast. :d Thumbs up for great commentating from John Kyle and Canadian rider Karen Pavicic today.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

6 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Tomorrow can i watch the full jumping competition replay? :mumble: Sadly I must sleep this night :p 

Not sure. I'm following it on FEItv, which has replay service. It's not free however (subscription is 7 EUR for one month; 36 EUR for one year).

I don't know who are the other broadcasters.

#banbestmen

14 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

Oh my goodness, this is incredible!! :woot:

Judy and Vancouver are doing things for Irish dressage that I thought would never ever be possible! So happy for them :)

There's a cool anecdote about Judy going around Omaha. At the pre-competition press conference they asked her: "Who do you think will win the Finals?". She answered: "Me!" :d

#banbestmen

Meanwhile on the jumping side. :USA McLain Ward won the opening speed class. Looks like this might be a big clash between Ward and double defending champion :SUI Steve Guerdat (who finished 3rd yesterday).

:EGY Nayel Nassar didn't have much luck. Incredibly fast, but two rails down eventually dropped him from potential 3rd to 20th.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Polish TVP Sport will broadcast live today's jumping since 3:40 a.m. CET, also on their website sport.tvp.pl (I'm not sure if it's not geo-blocked). The commentator will be Jarosław Idzi, former modern pentathlete, now member of the EBU Sports Committtee.