website statistics

Wrestling 2017 Discussion Thread

George_D

well forget my previous post, :d based on some Iranian sources (who has informant in UWW) the new proposed weights classes are something like this for both freestyle and Greco-Roman (Olympic classes in bold)

59, 62, 65, 70, 75, 80, 86, 92, 100, 130

This one makes more sense but some countries like Iran and Japan are not satisfied by these daily crazy changes in the rules without asking others' opinion.

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

well forget my previous post, :d based on some Iranian sources (who has informant in UWW) the new proposed weights classes are something like this for both freestyle and Greco-Roman (Olympic classes in bold)

59, 62, 65, 70, 75, 80, 86, 92, 100, 130

This one makes more sense but some countries like Iran and Japan are not satisfied by these daily crazy changes in the rules without asking others' opinion.

I wouldn't be happy either. There's no consistency.

Why not make 75 classes, each a kg difference from 55kg to 130kg. :p

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

On 3/17/2017 at 19:51, Dolby said:

With weigh-in on the morning of competition, when will draws take place? Same day or previous day, so before weigh-in? 

now I can answer this question, based on their proposal, the draw will take place the previous day

• 3 weeks later...

Iran finished the 1st day of Asian Greco-Roman Championships with 3 golds and a bronze in 5 weights. not a bad start considering the fact some of these wrestlers are pretty new to international competition and we are in rebuilding phase. our whole team in the Olympics just retired (or at least took a year off)

interesting fact that out of 10 finalists in 1st day, they were all from 3 countries, Iran, Korea and Kazakhstan ! great for Korea since most of their wrestlers are new. while Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and China are bringing almost their A team here.

I was more impressed by our 98kg guy Salehizadeh, he beat 3 "good wrestlers" before the final.

After a disastrous 1st day, Japan just dominated the 2nd day. perfect for them, they are in all 5 finals. :hyper: 3 Greco and 2 women

Iran also qualified 2 more to the finals and with Abdevali in bronze medal match, they already secured the team title. both Korea and Kazakhstan didn't shine today.

Asian Champs is not usually a high level tournament (comparing to Asian Games) but I see this year most countries take it serious, so many Olympians are wrestling here. I'm glad with our results here, this is not our complete A team, because of the Islamic Solidarity Games they are sending half of the A team to Baku. half of them are here and for example our 75kg guy is #4 in Iran .

from what I see the officiating was also very good (at least not biased) even the host nation India didn't benefit from the calls. :yes

After a very bad 1st day, Iran qualified 3 wrestlers to the final today to secure the team freestyle title one more time. I believe all 3 of them will be strong favorites for the gold later today. and if Rashidi wins the bronze it means none of our freestyle wrestlers will return home without a medal.

except one wrestler this is completely our B team while almost all other countries send their top wrestlers here, I guess our results were OK in general. but I was expecting more from some of them. Atri and Nassiri were disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadulaev is apparently moving up to 97kg, interesting :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

István Lévai received today a four-year ban from Slovak Anti doping Agency. Very likely this will be the end of his career (4 times medalist from European Championships including gold in Belgrade 2012 and bronze at European Games in Baku)...also possibly the definitive end for our wrestling.

source in SVK http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/279292/zapasenie-istvan-levai-dostal-za-doping-stvorrocny-distanc/